Author Topic: Firewall adding new networks?  (Read 2802 times)

REDACTED

Firewall adding new networks?
« on: November 04, 2016, 03:08:56 PM »
I'm not sure where else to turn now. I've asked friends, my internet provider and I even called the 24/7 Avast call line last night which was absolutely pointless.

I've got the Avast firewall activated and when I connect my regular wifi comes up on my laptop saying new network detected and all the details seem to match up fine. The MAC address is the exact same as the one on my router.

However, whenever I shut my laptop screen and then open it back up a few hours or days later it pops up saying new networks detected. About 3 new networks will pop up almost simultaneously. 

The new networks pop up with names like "Wifi Direct" "Dual Band (R)" and something else that's sort of similar to my normal connection. But these new networks have a MAC address I'm not familiar with. I go into my network profiles and delete them but they keep popping back up.

I just need to know if this is someone trying to come through or if it's an Avast bug? I get very paranoid about these things and before anyone asks, there is nobody around me to connect to any other networks. I live in the country so I have no neighbors with connections that could possibly pop up in my vicinity.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Firewall adding new networks?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 03:24:20 PM »
Don't worry, it is perfectly normal.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 03:33:34 PM »
Even if it has a different MAC address? Will this be something that Avast is going to fix? Is it okay to stop deleting them?

I'm sorry for all the questions and that it seems as if I'm on the defensive, but like I said. I get paranoid about these things.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 03:42:22 PM »
There is nothing for avast to fix as there is nothing wrong.

Likely it is the ISATAP and/or Toredo tunneling adapter that you are seeing.
They just have to do with the protocols used.

As I said, perfectly normal and nothing to worry about.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 03:48:52 PM »
Okay, well that seems to make me feel better about it. I'll stop deleting them and just try not to worry about it. Thanks for the prompt response.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2016, 07:00:39 AM »
Borrowed from Red: Indeed you can uncheck " Show notifications about automatic profile switching " if you are annoyed by the Network switching popups.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0