Poll

What is the ideally window size:

800x550
4 (13.8%)
1010x674 (current)
1 (3.4%)
make window resizable (with minimal constraints)
19 (65.5%)
add settings option to make window resizable
5 (17.2%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: UI Window size  (Read 7054 times)

Offline OndraM

• Avast team
UI Window size
« on: November 08, 2016, 03:48:01 PM »
I would like to know you preference and potentially update  UI behaviour

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: UI Window size
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 04:10:49 PM »
User does not have the option to resize. GUI is way too huge. It's out of proportion with the desktop screen size.
I like the more subtle background. The "shield and checkmark" are so cliche it reeks (no doubt AVG influence).
The "avast amoeba" should be more prominent.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 04:58:47 PM »
I'm using 1024 x 768 in a VM to test the latest Beta at the moment and for me the GUI size is not a issue/problem.

But there are still many people who can not use this settings (or larger) especially the ones who are using a laptop (or other portable "PC").
Main thing to keep in mind in my opinion is not making the GUI to width.

Making the GUI resizable can (and likely will) make the characters smaller if people make the GUI smaller and that can cause things to be difficult to read.
So that must be avoided.

I don't think people mind scrolling down to see the options in the menu (on the left) it they don't fit all on the screen if the height is low.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 05:03:27 PM »

I don't believe that there is an ideal size as users are using many different system with different screen resolutions.

That is why I believe the user should be able to resize it (and that goes especially for the installation window) so that it suits their use and screen resolution (without limitation).

I would have chosen option 3 as it has (with minimal constraints), why have a minimum constraint, if the user makes too small, they can always expand it again. So I have been unable to select any of the poll choices.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 08:26:47 PM »
I think it should be slightly smaller. It should be about this big... (I haven't actually counted the pixels)
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 09:06:56 PM »
The size of your Red bordered area is 947 x 571.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2016, 06:44:13 AM »
I'd say go for a resizable GUI, should work well on most systems/resolutions.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2016, 07:52:11 AM »
The problem with resizable GUI is that it will only resize the outer GUI frame, the window. It won't resize the buttons and text so that's pointless as it'll only bring more visual/graphical issues than anything good. Unless they have an on-the-fly resize engine that will be able to resize buttons and text as well with a locked aspect ratio, so you can only resize window diagonally, keeping proper aspect ratio of buttons (so they don't get skewed).

Technically I'd keep it at 1000x600, but there are still netbooks with 1024x600 resolution that are very much capable of running Windows 10 and avast! Antivirus and they won't be able to use it because avast! GUI would cover the taskbar, filling entire screen. That's why I was aiming at vertical GUI size below 600 pixels.

Besides, look at competition like BitDefender and Kaspersky. I think their GUI's are well below 1000x600 and they work perfectly fine. I'm talking just the GUI size, nothing else.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2016, 08:10:00 AM »
The problem with resizable GUI is that it will only resize the outer GUI frame, the window. It won't resize the buttons and text so that's pointless as it'll only bring more visual/graphical issues than anything good.
Of course scrolling should be added as well. ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2016, 08:59:26 AM »
The moto should be, fixed GUI size, panels sliding from left to right and those panels allowing scrolling vertically. It should provide a fluid experience with enough space to place all the controls in it in a well arranged manner.

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2016, 01:36:05 PM »
Currently the GUI is way too big and needs to get smaller.

The settings menu is terrible and needs a chance especially in terms of readability.

I'd like to see the GUI more arranged and easier to understand like it was in v7.

Something like Rejzor has done in this thread.

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=192684.0
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline OndraM

• Avast team
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2016, 02:14:08 PM »
  • Technically the UI was designed to be fluid and resizable. (Most width/height params are scalable)
  • Font/button sizes are determined by the device pixel ratio (display scaling settings in Windows)
  • Minimal constraints are there to keep the layout consistent.

That being said. I will try to persuade people to never make the window bigger than usable screen size. Hopefully in the some future release we will be able to make it fully resizable - we have be lobbying  for this in earlier this year so far without success.