Author Topic: pop up repeats  (Read 2842 times)

lerryn

pop up repeats
« on: February 13, 2006, 02:54:15 PM »
when avast detects a virus a pop up appears with a sirenn no matter what i do, move to chest, delete etc the pop up just keep re appearing! I have to restart my computer to make it stop! What am i doing wrong?  (i have avast free edition on XP home edition and Firefox 1.5.01 browser

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: pop up repeats
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 04:15:14 PM »
If it keeps appearing, you have more than one, avast will alert for a virus detection and waits for the user to decide the action to take, it will then continue with the scan and if it finds another it will alert again.

What were you doing when avast alarmed ?
What avast! version and VPS file (virus database) number, e.g. 0436-4 (see about avast!)?
What was the virus name, what was the filename, where was it found
  example (C:\windows\system32\infected-filename.xxx)?
What actions have you taken to try and resolve the problem?
Do you have a firewall, if so what ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

lerryn

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 04:39:48 PM »
i have avast 4.6 home edition vps 0606-4
i have keiro firewall installed.  virus name was a  win 32 trojano
was found in c system  volume information restore then (ee4e something) i tried a search on my computer for trojano but found nothing, neither did avg find it. It seemed to appear when my ip disconnected (it does that every 24 hours, when i reboot and reconnect there is no warning.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 04:58:41 PM »
The only way to deal with infected restore points in the system  volume information folder ( a windows protected storage area) is to disable system restore and reboot. This will clear all restore points. Do a scan if all clear then enable system restore again.

i tried a search on my computer for trojano but found nothing, neither did avg find it.
Do you also have AVG installed ?
You won't find anything on your computer, Trojano is the virus name not the file name.

Two resident AVs aren't recommended as they can cause conflict (fighting over a virus, etc.) and stop one AV from dealing with a virus.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

lerryn

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 05:17:20 PM »
thanks i will try it!

CharleyO

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 05:54:16 PM »

The last paragraph of David's last post may be why your computer is infected. Neither Avast! nor AVG could block the virus because of a conflict between the 2 av services. Use only one anti-virus protection ... not 2 or more. In this case, more is not better.