Author Topic: Auto-update and Sygate  (Read 5147 times)

Markus

Auto-update and Sygate
« on: December 08, 2003, 12:06:28 PM »
I have Sygate, Zone Alarm and Outpost installed on my machine (Windows Me) only one firewall running at a time (from cold start) with no apparent problems.
Avast Auto-update works with Zone Alarm and Outpost but I must update manually when using Sygate 5.5. Does anyone know how to set up Advanced Rules for Sygate to allow Avast Auto-update?

Thanks in advance
Markus

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Auto-update and Sygate
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2003, 01:02:30 PM »
I have Sygate, Zone Alarm and Outpost installed on my machine (Windows Me) only one firewall running at a time (from cold start) with no apparent problems.
Avast Auto-update works with Zone Alarm and Outpost but I must update manually when using Sygate 5.5. Does anyone know how to set up Advanced Rules for Sygate to allow Avast Auto-update?

Thanks in advance
Markus

You can ask Techie about Sygate...
Anyway, he won´t like you have 3 firewall installed (even you use just one)  ;D
I use ZoneAlarm without trouble in XP with avast.

I do not recommend new versions of Kerio (4.0 and newer).  ;)
The best things in life are free.

stevejrc

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2003, 06:49:48 PM »
Sygate may have been set to block avast at some stage (it would have asked you to allow it)

1.right click on sygate tray icon
2.select applications
3.remove any avast4 applications (better than changing to allow incase some avast items dont need access)

(the next time any avast app. trys to connect, sygate should ask you to
allow it, click yes and tick remember box). these will be added to the applications list (they cant be added manually, only when asked)

based on SPF free version.

I presume you have correct settings in avast connection ie by dialup?

Also like tech says, having more than 1 firewall/av running can cause problems and possibly even installed, if registry settings/dlls clash.

stevejrc

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2003, 07:33:07 PM »
also, you wont need to setup advanced rules for sygate. But make sure that if you have any existing ones, that they dont block avast, as they override allowed applications.

.right click sygate icon and select advanced rules

you can view blocked/allowed traffic in the logs to see whats happening.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2003, 07:34:17 PM by stevejrc »

Culpeper

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2003, 12:38:34 AM »
I use sysgate pro and you just need to auto allow avast services program.  No special rules are needed.

Also, I'm assuming that you only have sygate running and not all 3 firewalls.  That could cause many conflicts.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2003, 12:40:13 AM by Culpeper »

stevejrc

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2003, 09:08:38 PM »
could also just be a coincidence that when you were running sygate, that avast hadnt updated definitions. mine sometimes takes a while after definitions have been released to be informed that they have been updated automatically. and a manual update sometimes can beat the auto update. depends on when it auto checks i guess.

Culpeper

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2003, 11:58:01 PM »
Actually, it autochecks on start up and every 4 hours.