Author Topic: Unable to update my Avast Program or Virus Definitions  (Read 3477 times)

Offline omodarah

Unable to update my Avast Program or Virus Definitions
« on: November 11, 2016, 04:53:16 AM »
Hi All,

I am getting a weird issue. I am running Avast Endpoint Protection Suite Plus on Win 7 Pro machine which is part of a Domain. When I try to update the Engine, it just hangs on initializing. When I try to update the Program the same thing. I cannot uninstall it either. Any ideas will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Offline Dob502

Re: Unable to update my Avast Program or Virus Definitions
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 10:52:23 PM »
 ON 11/11/16,  NEWBIE WROTE:
Hi All,

I am getting a weird issue. I am running Avast Endpoint Protection Suite Plus on Win 7 Pro machine which is part of a Domain. When I try to update the Engine, it just hangs on initializing. When I try to update the Program the same thing. I cannot uninstall it either. Any ideas will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

In the last week,  I ran into a similar (if not identical) problem.    What I noticed first was that my system was slowing down,   almost to the point of being unworkable.      Decided to run a special AVAST scan,   and running into the same results as NEWBIE quoted above.     However, earlier today (1/24/17) as I studied past  scanning logs  (problems noted - no virus detected),    the only irregularily  was that the last scan log was for last week (1/18/17),  (it is my office practice to run a Quick Scan (mid morning)  and Full System scan (early evening).     The logs indicated:  1.  that no viruses had been detected in the last several months,  and 2.  that no scan had taken place since the evening of 1/18/2017.    But at the end of the log,  there was a notice "Need to reboot computer".

At this point,   I have to raise the question of why I didn't receive a notice of the need to reboot the computer,  such as a sound command  (Avast settings are to play sounds) ,   and/or why did not some message also appear on my screen.   (I am the only staff person who has access - so if there had been a message,  I should have seen it.     

Anyhow,   my immediate go was to get AVAst into working mode as quickly as possible,  so I rebooted the computer.    Immediately after reboot,  I checked the log,  which not said that the normal daily scans had indeed taken place on each of 1/19,  1/20,   1/21,   1/22,  and 1/23/2017.      Don't know how this could be when the log before reboot did not show such data.       

My next step was to to immediately run a "boot scan" which took 3 hours.     It just finished in the last half hour,  with the log reporting that NO VIRUS FOUND.       In fact that log now shows NO VIRUS FUND as a result of any scan  (quick or full system ) for the last several months.     

But if no virus were found,    I am at a total loss as to why system had to come to near complete halt - - - like it was slowly shutting down until I rebooted.      But after performing the above procedures,  so far my system does seem to  be back to normal once again.