Author Topic: Is possible for a modem get a malware or get hacked?  (Read 1977 times)

REDACTED

Is possible for a modem get a malware or get hacked?
« on: November 18, 2016, 03:03:01 AM »
Hello everyone.

I just recently got a new router, since the old one had some problems (Avast told it had some vulnerabilities, also someone here from the forums reccommended me to change the router to another one). The new router is faster, and Avast scan doesn't report any problems from it.

But the question is: I just changed the router, not the modem (the modem is only used to connect a cable to the router, and then I connect to the wifi from the router, so in this case is not an modem that is also a router). Is there any possibility that the old router caused any problems to the modem? (like infection, or changing it's configuration)

Thank you for the help

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Is possible for a modem get a malware or get hacked?
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 10:16:30 AM »
To put it simple, as long as there is software involved (firmware and others) there is always a security risk.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 10:49:56 AM »
There is always a possibility

http://arstechnica.com/security/2012/10/dsl-modem-hack-infects-millions-with-malware/

https://blog.malwarebytes.com/cybercrime/2015/12/dns-hijacks-routers/

There is a ton of info online if you search

Before posting here, I searched online, but mostly of times, the page gave me those results:
- They only talked abut the router
- Their modem was also a router, but here it isn't
- They said that it's impossible, but the post was kinda old

Also, just to check, isn't the second link about routers?

To put it simple, as long as there is software involved (firmware and others) there is always a security risk.

Just t check, should I be worried about it?
I haven't noticed anything wrong with my internet, but there's always a possibility.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 12:01:40 PM »
Before posting here, I searched online, but mostly of times, the page gave me those results:
- They only talked abut the router
- Their modem was also a router, but here it isn't
- They said that it's impossible, but the post was kinda old

While the router and modem are usually separate entities, in some cases, the modem and router may be combined into a single device.
This type of hybrid device is sometimes offered by ISPs to simplify the setup process.

http://www.howtogeek.com/234233/whats-the-difference-between-a-modem-and-a-router/