Author Topic: Avast file size over 1.36GB??  (Read 7168 times)

REDACTED

Avast file size over 1.36GB??
« on: November 20, 2016, 02:54:03 AM »
On both my PC's I have Avast Internet Security and both are over 1GB in size. One is 1.08GB the pther 1.36GB - is this right and why so huge?
Thanks

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Avast file size over 1.36GB??
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 11:37:18 AM »
1Gb is not huge at all.

The installer is 228Mb (ofcourse things are compressed)
How much space it will take up on the drive depends on the installed components and how you have setup the drive (file-system, sector-size etc).

And there is a difference between the actual total size of the files and how much space they take up on the drive.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast file size over 1.36GB??
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 04:23:25 PM »
On both my PC's I have Avast Internet Security and both are over 1GB in size. One is 1.08GB the pther 1.36GB - is this right and why so huge?
Thanks

As Eddy said the setup file is highly compressed.

One of the largest areas (sub-folders) the the defs sub-folder, this is for the virus definitions (VPS) that is going to be big as it is uncompressed to speed scanning. This is in itself is 95MB and there are times when there will be a duplicate of the previous VPS version and the new current one

With the AIS version you have more functions, I only have the free version installed and that is only 507MB as it doesn't have the Firewall, etc. My standalone firewall adds about another 200MB and my anti-spam another 25MB. I think that you can see with additional components/functions the size will grow. Avast does periodically run housekeeping on file sizes of variable logs VPS, etc. so there are times when it does fluctuate.

In the era of today's mega drives 1GB isn't that huge and certainly not unheard of in many programs.

See avastUI > Settings > General > Maintenance and expand - Auto Cleanup and Logs settings and set the values to something suited to your use.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security