Author Topic: Avast will not delete file as read only!  (Read 6895 times)

Offline dbrisendine

• Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Avast will not delete file as read only!
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2016, 08:42:06 AM »
The error was in the fake DNSapi.dll files that the hijacking malware placed on your system.  You can prevent much of this type of hijacking by hardening your browser settings to make your online experience more secure.  Check the following for some tips:  https://heimdalsecurity.com/blog/ultimate-guide-secure-online-browsing/

Also, please consider emptying your temporary files more often; you had 44+ Gigabytes of data removed on the first FRST fixlist run.  That's a lot of old browser data to keep around; it could include bad files and routines just waiting for the proper commands to activate the malware on your system.

One more check for safety sake ....

AdwCleaner by Xplode

Download AdwCleaner from here or from here. Save the file to the desktop.

NOTE: If you are using IE 8 or above you may get a warning that stops the program from downloading. Just click on the warning and allow the download to complete.

Close all open windows and browsers.

• Vista/7/8 users: Right click the AdwCleaner icon on the desktop, click Run as administrator and accept the UAC prompt to run AdwCleaner.
    You will see the following console:

• Click the Scan button and wait for the scan to finish.
  • After the Scan has finished the window may or may not show what it found and above, in the progress bar, you will see: Waiting for action. Please uncheck elements you don't want to remove.
  • Click the Clean button.
  • Everything checked will be deleted.
  • When the program has finished cleaning a report appears.
  • Once done it will ask to reboot, allow this

• On reboot a log will be produced; please attach that in your next reply. This report is also saved to C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[C#].txt

Optional:

NOTE: If you see AVG Secure Search being targeted for deletion, Here's Why and Here. You can always Reinstall it.

Win7 x32 Ult. SP1, Brain 2.0 / Win10 x64, Brain2.5
My help is always free but if you would like to help encourage me or show your thanks -----> DONATE

REDACTED

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2016, 10:36:28 AM »
Many thanks for your help again. I will certainly work through and change my browser settings and clear my temporary internet files more regularly!!

I will make a donation to you later tonight in appreciation for what you have done for me.

Thanks again!

REDACTED

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2016, 09:16:04 AM »
Have scanned with AdwCleaner and it found more files to be deleted!
File copy enclosed.

Offline dbrisendine

• Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2016, 09:51:02 AM »
That is to be expected as the fight against malware is an on-going one and the findings change to keep up with new malware.

How is your system running now?
My help is always free but if you would like to help encourage me or show your thanks -----> DONATE

REDACTED

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2016, 10:00:11 AM »
Very well, internet side seems to be running quicker than before.

Did you receive the donation?

Offline dbrisendine

• Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2016, 06:57:50 AM »
Good news then.

Yes; so thank you very much and have a very Merry Season!!!  ;D