Author Topic: In Need of Assistance  (Read 2871 times)

dondasch

In Need of Assistance
« on: February 13, 2006, 06:49:32 PM »
As goes the saying on Wallace and Grommett:)

Anyway, and more seriously I need some help and am not sure if this is the right board, but here goes nothing.

I have a situation in which I am playing with a network that has a few computers on it.  The other day, for no apparent reason that I can think of, one computer just "stopped".

I was able to access the Internet initially with this particular computer but now I cannot access it at all.  I have checked the ethernet cable, to see if it was somehow damaged or unplugged and could not see that it was.

I am unsure if the network interface on this particular computer is corrupt in some manner but I can access the Internet with the other computers I have on the network.  Could it be a possible problem with rights through a Group Policy that could affect Internet access ?

I am trying to run through some possible scenarios and really need some help with what may be wrong and where/what I need to be doing to fix this.

Thanks

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
Re: In Need of Assistance
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 08:33:52 PM »
One important thing you haven't mentioned... network runs through simple hub or through the hardware router/firewall ?

It's not unusual that sometimes one of those ports on your router or hub, simply dies. Sometimes, people look all around, and the solution could be as simple as that. I am not saying that's the case this time, but sure it would be great to check that option. Simple unplug the problematic computer from the current port, and plug it somewhere else (some other port). Reboot your computer and see if you can access the internet.

Also, did you by any chance set some rules in your router (if you have one) ? There can be set some good rules and restrictions for each IP address on your network.

Cheers !
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

aasgnt

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 09:56:13 PM »
needed information:

operating system
network hardware

CharleyO

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 12:49:31 AM »

Welcome to the foums, dondasch!    :)

Also, check in Devices to make sure there are no conflicts or maybe a bad card, etc. ... also check Network Connections.

dondasch

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 08:37:15 PM »
Hello all.

I am currently running all the PC's (3 in this case) on Windows XP and have configured the network environment to access the Internet through a router.  The "users" of each computer are connected by a switch.

As far as checking to see if the port was bad, I think I checked it correctly and it appears to be working.  Is there another way to check and see if a port has gone bad ?

I am also wondering how I can check the settings to see if I have somehow "checked" or "unchecked" something that would be causing the problem.

Strangely enough, as I am typing this I happened to try accessing the Internet through the other computers, and I am getting the same error message of " The Page Can Not Be Found" on those computers that I am getting on the one I first wrote in with ???  Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

I am still learning on how to work with and troubleshoot networks and am rather green but I want to understand what's going on.  I am thinking that, at the very least, I havent changed any settings on the computers and I haven't put any updates/patches across the network to the computers so I am stumped:(  Please help.

This problem only recently occurred and it is really, really annoying.

Thanks all.