Author Topic: Stand-by problems...  (Read 11240 times)

S.Z.Craftec

Stand-by problems...
« on: December 08, 2003, 07:57:54 PM »
Anyone had problems with computer stand-by after installing Avast! ?

I can normally put my PC into stand-by, but problem comes up when it has to come back from stand-by state. Screen just stays black and nothing is happening even though I can hear the beep from integrated PC speaker that means "return from stand-by". Nothing else to do to solve this problem, than to press reset button...

Everything was OK before I installed Avast!. I'm not sure is this problem connected somehow to Avast!, but I just want to check it with you guys.

Here are my PC specs:

AMD Athlon XP 1700+, 384 Mb DDRAM, 40Gb HD Western Digital Caviar, ATX MIDI tower.

Internet connection: Rogers HIGH-Speed Cable Internet (10.0 Mbps)
Firewall: ZoneAlarm 3.7.211 Free Version
Antivirus: Avast! 4.1 Home Edition

Thanks in advance for your responds !

ash

Re:Stand-by problems...
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2003, 08:09:28 PM »
hey
which OS are u using?
How long did u make ur sys standby?

i tried to standby my system ( win xp ,800Mhz,P III,with avast 4  and zone alarm pro )
i had no problems from standby.

may be some problem with OS.

Walker

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2003, 08:28:29 PM »
Hi Sasha,

It's the obvious response, but have you tried msconfig'ing Avast (and/or any other apps) out of the start up.

You'd have to cold boot after changing msconfig but you might be able to tie it down to Avast or something else.

Good luck,
Walker

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2003, 08:52:25 PM »
Ash wrote:
hey which OS are u using?
How long did u make ur sys standby?

i tried to standby my system ( win xp ,800Mhz,P III,with avast 4  and zone alarm pro )
i had no problems from standby.

may be some problem with OS.

I use WinXP Home Edition SP1 and I had no problems until yesterday when I noticed that...

Walker wrote:
Hi Sasha,

It's the obvious response, but have you tried msconfig'ing Avast (and/or any other apps) out of the start up.

You'd have to cold boot after changing msconfig but you might be able to tie it down to Avast or something else.

Good luck,
Walker

Sorry Walker, but I don't understand what do you mean by msconfig'ing Avast...

Stand-by was working wonderful until yesterday when I noticed that my PC won't return from that state... no new program installations since october.

Walker

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2003, 09:08:54 PM »
Sorry Walker, but I don't understand what do you mean by msconfig'ing Avast...

Sasha,

Click Start -> Run  enter msconfig in the box that appears. You will be able to remove applications from the windows start up (temporary... you can go back easy).

Just un-check Avast (or any other app you might suspect) in the startup section and follow the messages. Don't forget a cold boot.

Let me know if still un-clear  ;)

W.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2003, 09:53:08 PM »
Oh that... I already checked it before... it looks like... with or without Avast!, I have stand-by return problem now...

I didn't say Avast is guilty for situation, I just said, after installing Avast! I noticed that problem... I'm 100% sure, I didn't installed any new program on my computer after Avast!

Regards !

Walker

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2003, 10:01:43 PM »
OK... I didn't think you were blaming Avast  ;)

I take it removing any of the other strt up boot etc apps does'nt help?

How about the system logs then... do they show anything > r click  My Computer > Manage ?.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2003, 10:27:14 PM »
Nope! There are only Avast, ZoneAlarm and Epson startup items (for my printer). All that stuff also were there before... and I had no problems. I mean it's not like I can't live without stand-by option, but now I'm very interested to fix the problem... I don't like when I have something and that something all of a sudden stops working properly... I just want to locate the item that causes "returning from stand-by" problem...

Logs are clear, no visible problem regarding power issues or something written inside about that... no clue what to check next...

BTW, Walker... have you noticed my post about my version of skin for Avast! ?
Here is the link:
http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=1906
« Last Edit: December 08, 2003, 11:03:04 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2003, 11:44:38 PM »
"RETURN from STAND-BY" problem finaly SOLVED !!!
 :D ::) ;D ::)      :P

I have K7SOM motherboard with integrated SiS 740 Host/Memory controller with high quality 3D graphic accelerator (AGP 4x).

I forgot to tell you guys that I updated graphic card drivers through the Windows automatic update, two days ago.

The main problem was in updated display drivers... There is a driver Date: 30/10/2003. I just did ROLL BACK Driver in Device Menager under Display Device section, 'cause I'm sure that everything was working wonderful under old drivers... After Windows rolled back my old display drivers again, stand-by function is working great again, exactly the same as it does before. I tried to install new display drivers again, just to check, to be 100% sure, and guess what ? Same "Return from Stand-by" problem again... black screen, but I can hear my windows default sounds if I click somewhere on screen... So definitely, problem is in new updated display drivers...

Does anyone knows is there any way I can report somewhere to Microsoft or to someone else that issue (problem) with new drivers ?

--------------------------------------------------------

Old and good working drivers (not so old, but older than newest one) specs:

Driver Provider: SiS
Driver Date: 16/09/2003
Driver Version: 6.14.10.2210
Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher
« Last Edit: December 08, 2003, 11:51:21 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

Walker

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2003, 12:07:07 AM »
I forgot to tell you guys...

::) ::) ::)  ;)

I'm glad you found it Sasha.

Yes, I did see your skin design. I really admire your graphics skill, as I think you already know  ;). However, I'm a real old traditionalist and although I appreciate the skill and work, the design is a little bit 'gamey' for me. Only a personal opinion. I've always thought that a simple (but decorative  :) )skin something like a second task bar (runs above the existing, full length) would work well... but that is just my old age/idea  :'(

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2003, 12:33:41 AM »
As you admire my GFX skills, I admire your honesty Walker. I don't like people who like to lie to me, and tells me just what I maybe want to hear... that's not the way to work with people. I like someone's critics as much as I like when someone say something nice about my artwork... Critics are very productive for me... that way I can see where I was wrong, they open my eyes. You must make a million mistakes in your life to make some progress one day... that's life...

P.S. I'm not so young neither...32, huuuh!   :-\

Your idea about some simplified, minimalistic, taskbar looking skin is probably best idea ever... that way Avast could take up less memory, probably work faster and look more professional. But, until there is a select skin option in Avast!, I thought maybe someone will like this type of look... I mean, it's not gonna be default skin, just one of many others in your skin directory...
« Last Edit: December 10, 2003, 03:16:50 AM by S.Z.Craftec »

Walker

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2003, 12:40:43 AM »
P.S. I'm not so young neither...32, huuuh!   :-\

Mere kid's  ;D ;D ;D  ;)

Thanks for the comments Sasha, I agree totally  :)

I hope your ideas do get taken up, we can do with every point of view and opinion.

btw can you make skins or is this just the design?

Best wishes,
Old W.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2003, 01:19:48 AM »
Those pictures are just my idea for now, unborn skin... my vision of pyramid looking skin. Triangular shape is because it reminds of a letter "A", first letter in Avast! word. Green shades are because of Avast! splash screen which is by the way, also in green shades, and it looks kind a futuristic...

I can't make a skin yet, 'cause there is no application for making skin for Avast or any available instructions how to make it "manualy"...

I was hoping that "graphic guy" from Alwil could maybe make that skin based on my idea... I'm not asking for anything, he can be producer of the skin, and they just can put my name as a designer somewhere if it's possible.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2003, 01:51:09 AM »
I currtently use the Mac OS X skin ( Im sure you guessed that before now  ;) ) I would replace the current skin with this one if its published
the triangle is my favorite shape!
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2003, 03:19:28 AM »
Thanks MacMan (  :) ) ...

I'm glad when I get positive reactions from people. I'm also very happy when I see people showing big interest in my ideas.

However, we MUST NOT forget people who made this wonderful (has been said so many times) antivirus and especially (in this case) guy who made all those wonderful original Avast! skins. I don't know yet who made all that stuff, but I can se the good work.

I just don't want to point all skin talk into one direction, in this case, it looks like everything is about me... I'm nobody, just one guy who has so many ideas and wants to help somehow if it's possible, and guys from Alwil Software should decide do they need those ideas or not... I wanna hear from graphic guy (Vlk called him like that) from Alwile Software... wanna hear his personal opinion.

Regards !

P.S. Triangle is my favourite shape too... it looks so stable on the screen, like it's not gonna move anywhere for a long time...
« Last Edit: January 02, 2004, 06:58:07 AM by S.Z.Craftec »