Author Topic: Alternative to Avast for older computer  (Read 9069 times)

mharnisch

Alternative to Avast for older computer
« on: February 14, 2006, 11:54:52 PM »
I recently tried installing Avast on an older Compaq presario computer running Windows 98 and couldn't get Avast to work.  As a result of a previous posting, I have determined that this computer is only a 200 processor (with 32 MB RAM) while Avast requires minimum of a 486 processor, so that explains why it won't work.  I do not want to spend any money to upgrade or to buy new.  Are there any other free anti-virus programs that anyone has used that would work on my computer?  Also, I am looking for a firewall that will work.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Alternative to Avast for older computer
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 01:24:17 AM »
avast by comparison to other AVs is relatively light on resources, so many of the others are even higher and many AVs and other software tools are also stopping development for win98. This is hardly surprising when even MS aren't supporting it.

All I can suggest is a google search for 'free anti-virus light resources' without the quotes and see what that brings. The same for a firewall.

Sorry I can't be more helpfull.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

CharleyO

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 03:47:54 AM »

Welcome to the forums, mharnisch!    :)

I am not sure I understand you. The designation 486 is the type of CPU and not the speed. Is 200 mhz the speed of your computer's CPU? What CPU is it ... Pentium 2, AMD K6, etc?

I will say though, that 32 mb of ram is quite low by today's standards ... even for running W98 with any amount of other programs/processes running. I hope you actually have W98SE. You can install more ram and many old types are still available at nice prices from www.tigerdirect.com and probably at other computer supply companies also. If you add more ram, just be sure you get the same type (pc66, pc100, pc133, etc) that is now in your computer to make sure it works on the motherboard you have. If you could manage a total of 256 mb of ram, you would see a good improvement in the operation of that computer.

My old computer is still running W98SE and does so quite well with avast! as the anti-virus. But, I have 512 mb ram in it. I never had any problems running avast! on that now 6 years old computer.

I hope this helps you.    :)

mharnisch

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2006, 01:52:38 AM »
I am not computer literate as you can probably tell.  The processor I have is an Intel Pentium MMXTM200.  This Compaq computer has 32 MB RAM and can only hold a maximum of 80 MB.  I got this information by chatting online with a service person at the Compaq (now HP) website.  I was really impressed with the immediate and free online help that is available there.
I have tried running Avast and AVG and neither worked.  Avast wouldn't scan but would update.  AVG would scan but wouldn't update.  I guess I will look at upgrading the RAM memory if it isn't too expensive.  Then I'll try these again. 
Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

CharleyO

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2006, 02:06:30 AM »

I guess I did not catch this before but ... if you are trying to run 2 anti-virus program on that one computer, that is probably the reason they both do not work well.

Un-install one of them completely (hopefully, you un-install AVG but the choice is yours) and then restart your computer. After restarting, un-install the other anti-virus, restart, then re-install the other (hopefully, it is Avast), and finally restart your computer again. Which ever one you choose should now work correctly.

If you choose to keep Avast, I think you will be happy with it. I am just a user like yourself but after trying the "big 3" in the past, I will always be an Avast supporter!    :)

Offline MWassef

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2006, 04:59:13 PM »
I'm using AntiVir PEC on my old 300 MHz Celeron with 128Mb ram running win98se..
while avast (Standard Shield and mail scanner) takes about 8 mb of ram, AntiVir takes about 1 mb of ram..
MW

merf

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2006, 03:37:47 AM »
I have a Micron Pentium-1  P-166 computer with 64mb ram (upgraded from 32 mb), running Windows-95.

Before the increase in ram, could not run Avast.

Was initially running AVG - but could no longer run it after it came up with its new version (still met the minimum requirements, but my computer I guess could not cope with the increased "bloat" factor).

Had to switch to AntiVir  - ran fine, till it also came up with a new version, about a month ago - Win 95 no longer supported.   :(

So switched to Avast - wouldn't run - doubled my ram from 32 to 64mb - Avast runs quite nicely   :)  - resident protection, updates,  though takes hours to scan (on demand ) a 2Gb hard-drive.

The options for us people with older computers, operating systems are becoming less and less :'(

If Avast decides to become more "bloated", or drop support for Win95, the last option left for me is F-Prot for DOS: 
         http://www.f-prot.com/products/home_use/dos/

Maybe F-Prot is also an option you can try, otherwise I agree with the post above, maybe increasing your ram might work (though maybe it's not necessary to go to 256mb).
« Last Edit: February 19, 2006, 03:52:42 AM by merf »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2006, 03:52:08 AM »
Well there is always avast 4 DOS (http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_77_for_dos.html) but how long that will be supported isn't stated.

The further down the road the more effort it's going to take to support these old systems and at some point a company has to say enough the cost is just too great to support these old systems and OSes. Considering the avast 4 DOS is free, it is amazing that Alwil have supported it for so long when MS gave up ages ago.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Arup

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2006, 07:46:12 AM »
F Prot although not as effective as Avast and does not have real time scan would be the best solution for your PC,its among the lightest on resources. Also F-Prot is not free like Avast :( not everyone is kind like Alwil.

manu

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2006, 09:00:39 AM »
Hi, You can use Zone Alarm as Firewall.

merf

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2006, 10:23:03 AM »
"F-Prot is not free like Avast "

F-Prot for Dos is free
            http://www.f-prot.com/products/home_use/dos

satishincbs

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2006, 03:14:13 PM »
Hi

I was using Avast on my old P2 300 Mhz computer with the realtime scanning enabled. It was running fine without any problems.

And as for F-Prot, the DOS version does not have realtime scanning features. But its free as has been pointed out and is very effective.

Arup, read up av-comparitives.org, or look up Virus Bulletin or any other reputable antivirus comparision sites before making baseless comments. F-Prot programs have a better detection capability that Avast.

However, you need to look at the overall picture. The F-Prot "DOS" scanner does not provide automatic updates, realtime scanning etc, so stick with Avast.

Best Regards

CharleyO

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2006, 07:40:44 PM »

If you could manage a total of 256 mb of ram, you would see a good improvement in the operation of that computer.

Well, I did not mean 256 mb was actually necessary to run avast. I only meant that with that much total ram a good improvement in the operation of that computer would be seen.    ;)

merf

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2006, 12:49:31 AM »
"Well there is always avast 4 DOS (http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_77_for_dos.html)"

Maybe that's the best solution?

Does anyone know if Avast 4 Dos offers real-time scanning?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2006, 01:55:05 AM »
I don't know, there isn't much/any detailed info on the site.

Avast! 7.7 for DOS

This version could be used under the MS DOS and Windows 3.x.
I don't know what it means by running under windows 3.x, or if would run in a DOS window in later versions 95/98, etc. I don't believe it's resident, rather an on-demand scanner so it can be run outside of windows from DOS.