Author Topic: Avast Icon sys tray?  (Read 10559 times)

charic

Avast Icon sys tray?
« on: February 15, 2006, 11:13:54 AM »
Had to uninstall Avast 4.6 Home, because no matter what I try, I cannot satisfy to myself that the program is running correctly because  the Avast Icon Ball which is supposed to be displayed near the clock is just not visible??  :'(

The 2 boxes are ticked in the appearance tabs, and I have `repaired` using the add/Remove in control panel..................Windows XP SP1

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast Icon sys tray?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 03:12:49 PM »
I assume you checked the obvious hidden display icons < arrow by the comment 'just not visible.'
Do you have another (or had you) another AV installed on this system, if so what and how was it removed ?
What other security software have you got installed, e.g. Spybot S&D, AdAware, SpySweeper, etc. ?
Did you receive any warnings/errors during installation ?

As a temporary measure you could create a desktop shortcut to ashDisp.exe (the systray icon, and interface).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

CharleyO

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 04:21:30 PM »

Welcome to the forums, charic!    :)

Also, you need to update XP to SP2 as there are needed security measures in that update. And, you will then be able to update IE (if you use it) to SP2 so that it will also be more secure.

charic

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 04:47:33 PM »
DavidR......the shortcut works for me!   (I tried to run Avast! in safe mode, but still no Icon) I have many Xtras.....SpywareGuard/Blaster/ MSAntispy/ AD-Aware Pro/ CCleaner/AVG/SpyBot.....ect!!!!!!  also SP1 works fine for me, but it caused network problems for me in the past?? so happy to stay SP1 untill Vista! arrives? Many thanks for your help..........
Also A McF? ........who will be reading this too!!!!!!!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 05:32:16 PM »
The shortcut is a term measure until we can resolve the problem.

You mention AVG, do you still have this installed as two resident AVs can cause conflict ?

Do any of your security programs monitor or stop new Startup entries, if so this could be why the ashDisp.exe is blocked.

The security implications of not upgrading to SP2 are far greater than resolving the network problems.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

maury11215

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006, 09:26:27 PM »
I'm having the same problem in Windows 2000 Pro. The blue icon ball doesn't come up in the system tray after logging in. I have to rely on the ashDisp.exe shortcut on  the Desktop every time.

Maybe putting the shortcut in the Startup folder would alleviate this? What do you think?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2006, 10:17:12 PM »
You have to identify why the entry isn't already in the startups as it should be by default as the same thing could stop you dining it manually.

If you have the same problem then I suggest answering the same questions asked.

Rage Skywolfe

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2006, 07:27:56 AM »
I'm having a problem with the Icon in the system tray as well except mine is a bit different than that . shortly after being installed I get an error on shut down saying it doesn't cover it in memory and that the current application will be terminated. when it goes on ahead and restarts the icons are gone and I have no clue how to recover them. is there any way to get the icons back or do I have to reinstall it again ?

faders2

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2006, 01:52:34 AM »
Er first post however the answer is in FAQ http://www.avast.com/eng/faq-other-questions.html#idt_1602. I have solved it by adding shortcut to startup folder. I guess its a know issue with WINDOWS rather than a 3rd party software conflict

Culpeper

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2006, 03:05:34 AM »
They should check their OS first and then look at the application.  I'm not referring to the staff, which is working on getting it to work with XP.  If the Avast ball isn't showing up correctly than there are certainly other applications, installed or not, that have the same problem with XP.  This is a known problem with Windows XP.

http://www.michna.com/kb/WxSystray.htm

Open "My Network Places" and in the left-hand Tasks panel, select "Hide icons for networked uPnP devices". (If you're using Windows Classic folders you'll have to change the Folder Options to "Show common tasks in folders" to see this. This stops the display of the icons but does not disable the services needed for some devices to work.

2004-11-11 – Francesco Saverio Ostuni wrote: "... I found a solution for me that works perfectly. I simply went to My network Places and on the left pane I chose to Hide UPnP devices. This operation does not disable the service (which I need)."

Culpeper

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2006, 03:10:13 AM »
Charic

Always do a thorough search of the forums.  This problem has been posted many times.  Window peer support isn't like Linux peer support.  The former will try to help you one-on-one while the latter will tell you just search the forums or look it up in the manual.

charic

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2006, 11:02:28 AM »
Ok! Like DavidR says...SP2 upgrade will have its benefits to security as well as fix the icon problems that we are having. My System is now SP2 patched with all criticals installed. I`m still able to run AVG/Spyware Blaster&Guard/ Avast is now working, all icons in place!!/Zone Alarm ect.

There is an ongoing concern about the amount of firewalls, AV and AdAware checkers that are in use at any one time. I know that any one program will, upon inspection, `look into` quarantine files  of other programs and the user will be informed that there may be a conflict unless you shut the other one down? (Domination!!)What happened to multitasking?.....I still like the Hardware firewall, XP and Zone alarm Firewall, and as many AV`s and Adaware checkers that I can cram in, to ensure some feeling of total security, but that still sometimes fails????

Is there a standard setup or should users continue to use and feel satisfied with a mixture of programs ? Ive also seen AntiVirXP detect where others fail and vice versa. I`m presently trying Avast due to recent recommendations online.

CharleyO

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2006, 05:38:27 PM »

Hi charic,

There is no "standard setup" of programs nor certain mixtures. We all have our favorites for whatever reason. In my signature below, you can see what programs I use ... plus ewido has been added in the past few weeks. All of these programs listed (plus ewido) work in complete harmony on my computer ... no conflicts at all. And, they are all free versions. Oh, one other program I use is called Internet Sweeper (free version) because IE does not always completely delete cookies, history, and other junk files as I would like for it to do.

So, yes, multi-tasking (as you mean it) does still exist. It's just a matter of finding the right programs (with appropriate settings) that work on your computer for you.    :)

Culpeper

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2006, 04:41:25 AM »
Ok! Like DavidR says...SP2 upgrade will have its benefits to security as well as fix the icon problems that we are having. My System is now SP2 patched with all criticals installed. I`m still able to run AVG/Spyware Blaster&Guard/ Avast is now working, all icons in place!!/Zone Alarm ect.

There is an ongoing concern about the amount of firewalls, AV and AdAware checkers that are in use at any one time. I know that any one program will, upon inspection, `look into` quarantine files  of other programs and the user will be informed that there may be a conflict unless you shut the other one down? (Domination!!)What happened to multitasking?.....I still like the Hardware firewall, XP and Zone alarm Firewall, and as many AV`s and Adaware checkers that I can cram in, to ensure some feeling of total security, but that still sometimes fails????

Is there a standard setup or should users continue to use and feel satisfied with a mixture of programs ? Ive also seen AntiVirXP detect where others fail and vice versa. I`m presently trying Avast due to recent recommendations online.

That's cool!  If the icon problem presists after booting or rebooting than refer to the solution I posted above.

As for your other concerns.  You don't drive a motorcycle wearing two helmets.    You only need one AV, one firewall, and Spybot (immunize for IE) running at the same time.  You'll survive with just Adaware and Spybot for spyware scanning.   Use those for on-demand scanning occassionally.   For second opinion virus scanning you can use the various popular online scanners like Trend-Micro's "Housecall".  As for the default Avast settings.  Leave them alone for right now and don't get involved with system resource concerns.