Author Topic: Internet Explorer/avast! Online Security conflict?  (Read 4494 times)

Offline crimsoncricket

Internet Explorer/avast! Online Security conflict?
« on: December 01, 2016, 07:24:25 AM »
Recently I noticed how opening Internet Explorer resulted in a blank screen with a "Waiting for google.com" message up near the top of the screen.  It doesn't load if I wait, but hitting "stop" and reloading brings it up just fine.  A little experimenting revealed the issue goes away if I disable the avast! Online Security add-on.  I gave me no such problems in October and Firefox has no such issues.  All the scans I've run say I'm clean, which makes me suspect this is some sort of conflict with the IE Webrep Loader rather than an infection.  But since you're the experts, I thought I'd bring it up to you to see what you think.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Internet Explorer/avast! Online Security conflict?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 03:44:14 PM »
Crucially you don't say what browser version or operating system that you are using ?

IE11 if you have the SmartScreen (not sure if that is the correct name, I don't have IE11) conflicts with avasts AOS.

So you may have to choose which you have enabled.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline crimsoncricket

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 12:31:19 AM »
Sorry about that.  I have IE 11 on a computer running Windows 7 Home.  I already have SmartScreen disabled, so it looks like something else is causing this.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 01:00:04 AM »
Sorry about that.  I have IE 11 on a computer running Windows 7 Home.  I already have SmartScreen disabled, so it looks like something else is causing this.

I don't know if because of the SmartScreen thing that avast no longer supports IE11 and the same goes for the new Edge browser. As I don't use either of these browsers I can't test to see if just disabling it is enough.

However I can recall other topics that appear to confirm that disabling SmartScreen was enough, but I think this pre-dates the dropping of support for IE11. Again, not using either of these browsers I can't really test this.

That said
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline crimsoncricket

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 06:15:23 AM »
I don't know if because of the SmartScreen thing that avast no longer supports IE11 and the same goes for the new Edge browser. As I don't use either of these browsers I can't test to see if just disabling it is enough.

Did avast stop supporting IE11 recently?  If so, that would probably explain my issue.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 03:07:10 PM »

Did avast stop supporting IE11 recently?  If so, that would probably explain my issue.

As far as I'm aware this is the case, from my recollections of topics in the forums. Unfortunately I can't pin it down to a specific topic.

I think that IE11 under windows 10 further complicates the issue if you are using win10.

I have only recently purchased (a few days ago) a new laptop and that is win10 home 64bit (version 1512 build 10586.679) and that only shows Edge as the browser. If you remove Edge then IE11 is the browser.