Author Topic: Web Shield won't turn on after Update  (Read 6246 times)

REDACTED

Web Shield won't turn on after Update
« on: December 01, 2016, 05:52:37 PM »
Hello  :)

Vista Business
Service Pack 1
32 bit OS

Avast Free
12.3.2280(build 12.3.3154.23)

Couple days back I did a scan & clean, ran Malwarebytes then Avast then CCleaner. All good.
Then I restarted laptop as always after a clean and see that Avast has updated and added a bunch unwanted components.
No bother, I went through and checked and unchecked that which I wanted and that which I didn't.

Problem was, Web Shield would not turn on. Turns blue when clicked, but goes grey again after I navigate away from the component page then return to see if it has worked.
Resolve All icon is non-functional, does nothing.

I read a few threads here around this issue or similar and decided to uninstall then reinstall and used AvastClear.
The reinstalled version has the exact same problem.

I do have SuperAntiSpyware on my laptop but cannot get rid of it. Tried for years. Doesn't appear in Programs List, Revo can't find it, SAS uninstaller utility does nothing, nor do all other tips and tricks.
A registry scan with CCleaner shows a handful of Avast 5 and SuperAntiSpyware issues flagged up for fixing, howbeit, I have never actually cleaned the registry because I was warned off doing so when you don't know what you are doing.

Any help and advice on what I should do next?

Thank you

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Web Shield won't turn on after Update
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 06:05:05 PM »
See here  >>  https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0
scroll down to second picture Farbar Recovery Scan Tool 
follow instructions and attach the two diagnostic logs, then somone will have a look tomorrow

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 07:17:54 PM »
Thanks for the swift replies.

Pondus, logs attached.
Note: I am well aware that torrent users are prohibited here. I have some leftovers from Soulseek, Bitcomet, and Utorrent which were all removed from my system many many years ago. You have my word that I do not use these types of client.

Eddy, I have tried SuperAntiSpywares three methods on and off the past couple years and none of them work. I should have been explicit and written in my original post that I tried them again earlier and they failed again.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 08:49:19 PM »
I don't believe there is anything in the forum rules stating that torrent users are prohibited here.

It isn't so much the use of using torrents, more what you download, if that happened to be cracked software (more likely to arrive with something unwanted/unexpected) and you stated that.

Then it would be different, those that help here are for the most part volunteers are under no obligation to help those that download cracked software.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 08:54:50 PM »
There is nothing wrong with the torrent protocol, it is what people are using it for that can be wrong/harmful ;)

Don't know if Opera still is offering it, but they used to offer to download their browser through it.

EDIT :
Had a quick look at the logs and there are some problems on your system.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 11:27:47 PM »
I don't have cracked software by the by.

:)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2016, 12:19:50 AM »
I don't have cracked software by the by.

:)

We aren't saying that you have, only that would be the only reason there could be any restriction on receiving help if you were known to have cracked software on your system.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline dbrisendine

• Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2016, 09:38:34 AM »
There are parts of the Vista Network files missing or corrupted.  Please follow the advice in the following article to run a SFC scan and let us know the results.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833
Win7 x32 Ult. SP1, Brain 2.0 / Win10 x64, Brain2.5
My help is always free but if you would like to help encourage me or show your thanks -----> DONATE

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016, 06:38:30 PM »
Hello dbrisendine  :)

Thank you for the reply.

Ran sfc /scannow and it came out clean, 'Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations'.

Is it possible the Web Shield is working, albeit the real-time warning logo showing me it is off?
Is there something I could try which would test if the Web Shield is up and running?
If no to the above, what should I do next?

Offline dbrisendine

• Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2016, 07:44:16 AM »

We need to get a fresh scan from FRST.
  • If you still have the Addition.txt file on your desktop, please delete it now.
  • Right click the FRST file on your desktop and select "Run as Administrator..." (XP users click run after receipt of Windows Security Warning - Open File). When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • If an update is available, the program will inform you and download the update.  Allow it do this please.  Otherwise, just wait for the "The tool is ready to use." message.
  • Please check the Addition.txt in the Option Scan section of FRST.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • It will produce a log called FRST.txt in the same directory the tool is run from.
  • The tool will generate will another log (Addition.txt - also located in the same directory as FRST.exe/FRST64.exe). Please also paste that along with the FRST.txt into your reply.  Please attach both log files (FRST.txt and Addition.txt) to your reply here.  Thanks.
My help is always free but if you would like to help encourage me or show your thanks -----> DONATE

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2016, 06:19:37 PM »
As requested.

Offline dbrisendine

• Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2016, 08:03:22 AM »
While I'm not seeing any malware on your system, there are some settings that could be corrected.  Please run the following and see if this helps Avast run properly.

Fix with Farbar Recovery Scan Tool
This fix was created for this user for use on that particular machine.
Running it on another one may cause damage and render the system unstable.
Download attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop:

Both files, FRST and fixlist.txt have to be in the same location or the fix will not work!

• Right-click on icon and select Run as Administrator to start the tool.
    (XP users click run after receipt of Windows Security Warning - Open File).
  • Press the Fix button just once and wait.
  • If for some reason the tool needs a restart, please make sure you let the system restart normally. After that let the tool complete its run.
  • When finished FRST will generate a log on the Desktop, called Fixlog.txt.
Please attach it to your reply.

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2016, 08:04:40 PM »
Thanks for the reply dbrisendine, appreciate the time you've spared  :)

I ran the fix and still no change with the Web Shield.

Fixlog attached.

Offline dbrisendine

• Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2016, 08:41:12 AM »
Have you tried the steps in this Avast Troubleshooting KB?