Author Topic: Are there any known malware that can hide inside keyboard apart from BadUSB?  (Read 5723 times)

REDACTED

Malware can hide, but something has to initiate it and that activity should draw some attention. Most malware is going to be trying to connect to the internet, either to pass on data or download more malware, again this draws attention to it. Both of which may be detected.

I would suggest that you visit the Steelseries forum and see if there is anything there or ask.

Many peripherals have USB ports, my Monitor has Two, but I'm not concerned that it is a likely target for malware/exploit.
When windows 10 installation was ready, and I had been on desktop for a while already, it popped up "installing device" window with loading bar, didnt say anything about what device or what drivers. Could it be that possible keyboard malware downloaded and installed some malicious files?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Malware install quietly, it does notify its install

anyway if conserned see reply #8

REDACTED

Malware can hide, but something has to initiate it and that activity should draw some attention. Most malware is going to be trying to connect to the internet, either to pass on data or download more malware, again this draws attention to it. Both of which may be detected.

I would suggest that you visit the Steelseries forum and see if there is anything there or ask.

Many peripherals have USB ports, my Monitor has Two, but I'm not concerned that it is a likely target for malware/exploit.
The problem with this is, that noticing such activity as malicious would require lots of knowledge. And I am not at all knowledgeable about these things, so how am I supposed to notice malware?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks

The problem with this is, that noticing such activity as malicious would require lots of knowledge. And I am not at all knowledgeable about these things, so how am I supposed to notice malware?

It is your AV that would be attracted to the activity.

I really do think that this topic has run its course as the likelihood of this happening is as has been said very remote. You probably have more chance of a hit on the lottery.

As I continue to say - I would suggest that you visit the Steelseries site/forum and see if there is anything there about this or ask. - they after all are the experts on the capability/vulnerability of their products.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security