Author Topic: Virus definition not updated / outdated  (Read 11701 times)

Offline vianello_85

• from Italy
Virus definition not updated / outdated
« on: December 03, 2016, 07:13:16 PM »
It notes that today updates of virus definitions are still to 01 December . This on the pc (version 12.3.2280)

Vianello

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Virus definition not updated / outdated
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 08:20:13 PM »
Check this page https://www.avast.com/virus-update-history and it should show what is the latest. Note there are times when this page is behind the actual latest version.

Mine is still showing VPS of 161201-0, even though the page shows 161203-0 as the latest. I am however unconcerned as the streaming updates should be covering this. VPS updates actually consolidate the streaming updates you have received in advance of the VPS.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline fbrock

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 10:13:02 PM »
Same situation as above.  Would you still be unconcerned if you were doing manual updates only?  Continue to get message:
Engine and definitions: Already up to date (current version 161201-0)

Settings are: Ask when an update is available, Enable streaming updates (checked)

Is there any way to actually verify that the definition updates are being received and incorporated?  And why doesn't the download display just update as normal?  Further information would be appreciated.  Thank you!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 10:41:07 PM »
If there is a problem, avast will notify you

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 10:41:55 PM »
Same situation as above.  Would you still be unconcerned if you were doing manual updates only?  Continue to get message:

As I don't use manual update for VPS I can't comment, it would be interesting to know why you choose that option.

You can try the true manual update of downloading the full VPS database, not just initiating an Incremental VPS update from the user interface. https://www.avast.com/download-update. Ensure that you download the correct version for the avast you are using.

Settings are: Ask when an update is available, Enable streaming updates (checked)

Is there any way to actually verify that the definition updates are being received and incorporated?  And why doesn't the download display just update as normal?  Further information would be appreciated.  Thank you!

As far as I'm aware the VPS updates have to be set to Automatic (default) to get the streaming updates.

I showed an image of the defs folder in Reply #1 above, that shows what VPS and streaming updates you received.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline David743

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 12:53:12 AM »
Clearly there is a problem otherwise there would be no queries. I have same message version 16120100 and defs folder shows exactly this. I normally use manual update to check what is being loaded. So changed to streaming with autoupdate and defs folder changed to add "streaming 16120300" and "streaming 16120400" but frankly the download was so rapid, I did not believe that new defs were downloaded. Folder contents show 217 kB and 230 kB compared with 189MB for 16120100. So I believe this trust in streaming is misplaced and that there is a problem

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 12:58:18 AM »
I've check with the free version as well as the beta version and the streaming updates are working

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 01:02:42 AM »
Clearly there is a problem otherwise there would be no queries. I have same message version 16120100 and defs folder shows exactly this. I normally use manual update to check what is being loaded. So changed to streaming with autoupdate and defs folder changed to add "streaming 16120300" and "streaming 16120400" but frankly the download was so rapid, I did not believe that new defs were downloaded. Folder contents show 217 kB and 230 kB compared with 189MB for 16120100. So I believe this trust in streaming is misplaced and that there is a problem

You are only getting incremental updates as the last VPS 16120100 contains the full VPS at that time. As and when the next VPS arrives it will contain streaming updates released previously and those not yet released.

These will be combined to make the new VPS database, this saves you having to download the full database 95MB+ database everytime.

The Virus signatures are highly optimised.

Offline fbrock

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 02:47:29 AM »

As I don't use manual update for VPS I can't comment, it would be interesting to know why you choose that option.

Have been troubleshooting a disk thrashing/system freeze problem. Drivers had not been updated and some updates were marked critical --- this helped.  Focused now on disabling/enabling Firefox add-ins not compatible with latest FF version.  So far this looks like the end solution.  Avast auto updates at inopportune times aggravate problem.

You can try the true manual update of downloading the full VPS database, not just initiating an Incremental VPS update from the user interface. https://www.avast.com/download-update. Ensure that you download the correct version for the avast you are using.

Will consider this if no other solution is found.

As far as I'm aware the VPS updates have to be set to Automatic (default) to get the streaming updates.

I showed an image of the defs folder in Reply #1 above, that shows what VPS and streaming updates you received.

Sorry, I missed the image, probably thought it was an icon or similar. In C: \Program Files \AVAST Software \Avast \defs is one folder 16120100 where all the files within it are dated 12/1/2016 7:55 PM.  So it appears AVAST has not updated since. It sounds like the solution you are advocating is go with Automatic updates with Streaming enabled.

The question remains what happened Dec 1 that altered an update system that was working fine and now precludes using certain update options?

Addendum: Same results as Pondus with suggested solution yesterday but willing to trust it's "OK"  ;)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 03:06:46 AM by fbrock »

Offline David743

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 03:12:52 AM »

You are only getting incremental updates as the last VPS 16120100 contains the full VPS at that time. As and when the next VPS arrives it will contain streaming updates released previously and those not yet released.

These will be combined to make the new VPS database, this saves you having to download the full database 95MB+ database everytime.

The Virus signatures are highly optimised.

Thanks and understood. But a daily def update is usually a 1 to 2 MB download, hence my comment about the streaming folders only having 217, 230 kB. So this is a high degree of optimisation. But it would be nice to have an accurate report on current state whether manual or auto updating.

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2016, 03:53:22 AM »
I have the same problem.  Avast ver 12.3.2280.  Virus def files at 161201-0.  Manual update message states "already up to date" when it is December 4.
So I have the same question "The question remains what happened Dec 1 that altered an update system that was working fine".  The only changes to my PC on December I was the Avast virus def ver 161201-0.
I use manual updates only, so streaming updates are not giving me the latest def files.

Offline vianello_85

• from Italy
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2016, 10:29:00 AM »
Meanwhile the avast virus definitions for Android phones continue to regularly update
Probably there are two different update channels

Offline sava22

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2016, 11:42:36 AM »
Same problem here.

My avast shows this after trying to update:

I usually update manually through the user interface.

Using Free Avast 12.3.2280 (build 12.3.3154.23)

Offline loungehake

• Dummy Half
  • Poster
  • Come on lad! You've only got 70 yards to go.
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2016, 11:52:22 AM »
It does not inspire user confidence if the indicated up-to-dateness of the AV definitions is in question. I realise that the streaming updates are at work but for Avast to fail to perform the relatively simple task of displaying the correct timeline for updates is likely to be unsettling for many users. I am surprised that Avast seems not to have given higher priority to ensuring that user confidence cannot be diminished in such a way.
Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x64, Avast Free 24.1, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2016, 12:37:10 PM »
The same story he wrote earlier in his post. Now poprobyval update the database in the manual out new updates and turned itself sledushchee version changes with each update manually and release date remains the same