Author Topic: Mobile automatically Sending SMS messages to itself  (Read 4338 times)

Offline ErtsRNevE

Mobile automatically Sending SMS messages to itself
« on: December 03, 2016, 11:45:23 PM »
The invoice from the phone company is showing that my mobile has sent numerous SMS's at exactly the same time to itself, plus SMS to a mobile in the Czech republic. This has occurred a number of times.

There is no record on the mobile of it sending these SMS's or even receiving them.

I heard this may be due to Avast security.

Any ideas of the cause most welcome, thank you.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Mobile automatically Sending SMS messages to itself
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 11:58:30 PM »
Sounds like you have set your own phone number as a friend number and have enabled to send a SMS to avast in case the phone is stolen.

Offline Tereza V.

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 04:29:14 PM »
Hi, haven't you changed your SIM card recently? The Anti-Theft sub-application sends an SMS via CZ when a new SIM is inserted, it is a security element - in case someone steals your mobile phone and inserts his new SIM. As Eddy wrote, you have probably set your own number as a friend's number, therefore you not only send, but also receive these automated messages. You can disable this feature, just go to "Settings" (3 dots in upper right corner) and uncheck "SIM security".

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 02:53:48 PM »
Thank you Tereza V. and Eddy for your input, much appreciated. I believe you have solved the part of the problem.

I bought a new phone because the previous one had function issues after being dropped.

I put the chip from the old Mobile in the new mobile, and the USB modem chip into the old Mobile. The USB modem chip is the 'friends number'

So, I can understand the New Mobile sending messages to the mobile with the USB modem chip.

What seems confusing is that the mobile with the USB modem chip was hard reset to manufacturers settings by the shop I bought the new phone.

Both the new Mobile and the old mobile with the USB modem chip sent many messages to themselves, these numerous messages were sent at exactly the same time and on many occasions.

While I can understand the SMS's from both mobiles to the Czech Republic now, I can't understand the many SMS's sent at exactly the same time, that both mobiles sent to themselves on a number of occasions. Are these SMS's part of the same issue?

I have temporarily deleted the online Avast account for the Mobile as a temporary action, this also deleted the mobile with USB modem chip number I assume. The reason is the large number of SMS's being sent are expensive.

Any ideas welcome.

Offline Tereza V.

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 05:55:37 PM »
Hi again, if you have made hard reset of the device and it keeps sending SMS, you might have had the root version of Avast Anti-Theft. To uninstall it, please disable it in Device Administrators:

- Open "Settings" of your device
- Go to "Security"
- Select "Device administrators"
- Uncheck Avast Anti-Theft (Update manager)

To remove Avast Anti-Theft now follow these steps:

- Open "Settings" of your device
- Go to "Applications"
- Select "Avast Anti-Theft"
- Tap on uninstall button

If you do not find Avast Anti-Theft in the list of applications then please send me the list of applications shown in "Device administrators" option.