Author Topic: Installing but want to avoid Auto Chrome 32bit Install?  (Read 3933 times)

Offline badass

Installing but want to avoid Auto Chrome 32bit Install?
« on: December 04, 2016, 04:29:18 PM »
Hey guys, I'm installing avast free from my Avast Incentives Account.  I chose "Customize" as that is what I remembered to do to avoid the Chrome Download.  I already have chrome 64bit.  So now I'm at "Install" but hasn't asked me if I wanted Chrome of not?  Does the Incentives Installer do something different, different sequence of install questions, because I don't remember this way, I remember it asking me about Chrome before this, and before the Install Button was pushed.  I'm already irritated but love avast, please help so I  don't overwrite Chrome with 32bit.

Thanks!
Dell 660S, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1, Intel Core i3 3240, 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3, Avast Free

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Installing but want to avoid Auto Chrome 32bit Install?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 04:41:41 PM »
The first page of the installation should show Chrome, uncheck the pre-checked options.

See attached image - click to expand - whilst this is from an earlier 12.2.xxxx build of avast it should be the same if my memory serves me right.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline badass

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 04:44:14 PM »
Sorry David, that is not the way it is shown for me?  I think it has something to do with Avast Incentives, I'll download another installer I guess because I don't want to overwrite Chrome.  Thanks for the fast reply, any other info I'll be watching.
Dell 660S, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1, Intel Core i3 3240, 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3, Avast Free

Offline badass

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 04:48:51 PM »
I also see that there is no Registration needed anymore? but then it goes on to explain how to Register LOL O-boy.
Registration of the latest version of Avast Free Antivirus is no longer necessary. To update Avast, read the following article:
I'll figure this one out but a comment may be helpful.

Offline badass

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 04:51:51 PM »
Using the Incentive Program will be important to me when I install for customers, so if possible let's get at least that part worked out.  I don't want to Install Chrome 32bit Every time for Customers, but would like to benefit from the Incentives if possible. 

Thanks, badass

Offline badass

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 04:59:59 PM »
Sorry David, that is not the way it is shown for me?  I think it has something to do with Avast Incentives, I'll download another installer I guess because I don't want to overwrite Chrome.  Thanks for the fast reply, any other info I'll be watching.
Just downloaded another installer straight from this website and it don't have the choices shown in your pic.  This is what I'm seeing:

And then this

Any help would sure be appreciated, badass

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 05:11:03 PM »
I don't know what version of avast you are running, the latest is only 12.3.2280, one interim release later that the one I posted.

I did an in place update from the UI, so I didn't have to go through the custom install route for 12.3.xxxx.

The Registration is something that they are working on, but I didn't it in the latest build (not that I can remember) as I updated after getting a notice of impending renewal/registration. There is also something about not having to re-register every year. Again I haven't bumped into that test.

I'm not sure if avast checks for installations of Chrome (as I don't use it) or if it would differentiate not install 32bit if you had chrome 64bit.

EDIT:  Seeing your other post after previewing mine, I have seen something similar before (e.g. no selection option for chrome on the first screen), but you may well get one at the end or after restart if you want chrome or not.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline badass

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2016, 05:45:41 PM »
Installation went well, although it is quite different from the last version I Installed a short while back.  Installer NEVER ASKED about Installing Chrome, so that's good.  Although, that probably means avast lost Chrome Revenue, so that's bad for avast.  To me, this is something that I should already know. 

Would have been nice for avast to make users (or at least IT guys) aware of these changes.  Is there a Blog or News Letter that I can subscribe to, to keep up with this stuff?  EDIT: Bookmarked the RSS Feed to Bookmarks, but don't know if this is the right place to get this kind of info?

Thanks again, badass
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 06:13:18 PM by badass »

Offline badass

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2016, 05:59:01 PM »
DavidR, Thanks for all your help, if I can ask another question that would be very helpful.  I assume I have these new Icons on my Desktop because of Backing out of a few Installs, would you know the answer to this?

When I Click on them, avast tries to Install, so I guess I'll just Delete them.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2016, 06:24:16 PM »
Windows 10 with Chrome 54.028840.99 installed.
Downloaded the offline installer for avast free 12.3.2280
It never gave the option to install Chrome or not.
Checked after installing avast and Chrome version wasn't changed.

There was however a something that shouldn't have happened.
The icon for Chrome in the taskbar changed to a "empty page"

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2016, 06:44:54 PM »
DavidR, Thanks for all your help, if I can ask another question that would be very helpful.  I assume I have these new Icons on my Desktop because of Backing out of a few Installs, would you know the answer to this?

When I Click on them, avast tries to Install, so I guess I'll just Delete them.

<snip image>

I have never seen that avast icon on the desktop (doesn't help that I don't display desktop icons), I do have the standard 'new' avast icon though.

That when clicked only opens the avastUI, I suspect that may well be something like the short stub installer (avast on-line installation), which would connect to the internet to do the installation. Rather than downloading the full off-line install setup file.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2016, 07:12:01 PM »
latest version places the icon to the installer on the desktop.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2016, 07:38:52 PM »
Only if that's your default setting. My download go to the Downloads Folder.
It does place a shortcut to the Avast UI onto the Desktop.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2016, 08:54:16 PM »

I can't see the point in that if you download the full off-line installation file.

As with Bob, I to download all files to a specific download folder. I have long since stopped files being downloaded to the desktop (I also hide the desktop icons) I have never had an avast installation file (or other program file) saved to the desktop.

Some programs may well place a desktop shortcut icon after installation, but that is somewhat different.

Offline badass

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2016, 07:51:28 PM »
Checked after installing avast and Chrome version wasn't changed.

There was however a something that shouldn't have happened.
The icon for Chrome in the taskbar changed to a "empty page"
Yes Chrome was the same...64bit

I did not have the Chrome Icon change though, it's all good.