Author Topic: Interesting Software and System News  (Read 2829248 times)

YoKenny

Re: Interesting Software and System News
« Reply #1200 on: April 01, 2009, 11:23:25 AM »
I generally like PC's but did the commercial mentioned that she spent another 100$ on extra Ram in order to make Vista run and another hundred dollars on security software since she didn't know avast existed. (the ram part is based on actual experience)

I don't know where you bought your Vista system but I added and additional 2GB RAM to my system for $40.00 if I remember correctly.

http://www.pricebat.ca/Memory-RAM.c_1114

Offline Confused Computer User

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #1201 on: April 01, 2009, 02:03:07 PM »
I bought the ram at Best buy. At that point I wanted to maintain the warranty intact so I had the ram installed there as well (the computer was bought from best buy). Opening the case would void the warranty so I wanted to avoid that. Thank you for the link. Are the memory stick reliable? I've always heard that some times some of them don't work so there is the risk of getting "burned".
Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #1202 on: April 01, 2009, 02:37:21 PM »
I bought the ram at Best buy. At that point I wanted to maintain the warranty intact so I had the ram installed there as well (the computer was bought from best buy). Opening the case would void the warranty so I wanted to avoid that. Thank you for the link. Are the memory stick reliable? I've always heard that some times some of them don't work so there is the risk of getting "burned".

Well its ridiculous what Best Buy charges to install memory. As for reliable memory, lots of memory brands offer a lifetime warranty. I buy Crucial/Micron for all my systems, but lots of other manufacturers offer a lifetime warranty.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #1203 on: April 01, 2009, 02:42:25 PM »
Thank you Mac.
Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.

drhayden1

« Reply #1204 on: April 01, 2009, 04:06:09 PM »
Gmail AutopilotTM by CADIE     this has got to be an april fools joke on the gmail log in page
Email will never be a thing of the past, but actually reading and writing messages is about to be. Gmail Autopilot automatically manages your inbox better than you can, with zero effort from you. Learn more »
Keep in touch
Brand-new CADIE technology enables Autopilot to scan every one of your incoming messages and automatically send the perfect reply.
Manage relationships
Impress everyone with your prompt and insightful responses to everything from urgent notes from your boss to cute messages from your significant other.
Match your style
Autopilot calibrates for tone, typos and preferred punctuation. It's just like you, but automated

Thanks for the Garfield Cartoon Rdmaloyjr
click on pic to supersize  ::)   

« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 04:15:22 PM by drhayden1 »

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #1205 on: April 01, 2009, 06:56:59 PM »
This may turn out to be one of my favorite toys, Thanks Dan.
Just have to wait till I get home to put it to work.  :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #1206 on: April 02, 2009, 01:20:01 AM »
Face the future
Opera Face Gestures let your beautiful face control your beautiful browser
Oslo, Norway – April 1, 2009
Opera Software today unveiled its newest innovation to be included in Opera 10 — Face Gestures. Opera Face Gestures enable anyone with a Webcam to control their browser moving only their face. Based on the same architecture as Opera’s Mouse Gestures, Face Gestures makes surfing the Web as easy as smiling, batting an eye lash or flaring a nostril.

Opera Face Gestures grew out of a collaborative project between Opera and the Norwegian Intelligence Service (NIS) to create the world’s most advanced facial recognition technology using only JavaScript, HTML and CSS. After more than seven years in development, Opera Face Gestures were born.

“In 2001, we introduced Mouse Gestures in Opera 5.1. At that point we knew we were on to something,” said Jon von Tetzchner, CEO, Opera. “We already had keyboard shortcuts in the very first version of Opera, but once we introduced voice control in Opera 8, we had only one input mechanism left — the face. Opera Face Gestures represent the next frontier in browser control.”

Opera Face Gestures include more than 45 controls, from opening new tabs to restoring sessions to navigating through a Web page. Opera Face Gestures are so advanced you can compose and send an entire e-mail message through Opera’s built-in e-mail client. Even mouse gestures can be triggered with Opera Face Gestures. To activate Opera Face Gestures simply press the single-key shortcut F8.

For more information on using Opera Face Gestures, including a list of known gestures, visit labs.opera.com.

About Opera Software ASA
Opera Software ASA has redefined Web browsing for PCs, mobile phones and other networked devices. Opera's cross-platform Web browser technology is renowned for its performance, standards compliance and small size, while giving users a faster, safer and more dynamic online experience. Opera Software is headquartered in Oslo, Norway, with offices around the world. The company is listed on the Oslo Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol OPERA. Learn more about Opera at http://www.opera.com/

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #1207 on: April 02, 2009, 02:42:11 AM »
Interesting but I think it's not going to increase the number of Opera Users too much. Last time I tried Opera I felt it had an interface which was somewhat bloated (to be honest I was not aware of the mouse trick). Firefox has a simple design very similar to Microsoft's Internet Explorer which I think draws in Users.

Still the technology aspect is intriguing. I'm curios to see some reviews of this.

Thank you Rdmaloyjr

Computer Systems:

drhayden1

« Reply #1208 on: April 02, 2009, 03:01:21 AM »
I Really Really think both the Gmail and Opera Thing were a April Fool's Joke-Don't You ??? :)
here's a link to show some of the jokes pulled off today-scroll down
http://aprilfoolsdayontheweb.com/
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 03:21:01 AM by drhayden1 »

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #1209 on: April 02, 2009, 03:33:19 AM »
Interesting but I think it's not going to increase the number of Opera Users too much. Last time I tried Opera I felt it had an interface which was somewhat bloated (to be honest I was not aware of the mouse trick). Firefox has a simple design very similar to Microsoft's Internet Explorer which I think draws in Users.

Still the technology aspect is intriguing. I'm curios to see some reviews of this.

Thank you Rdmaloyjr
Last time I tried Opera I felt it had an interface which was somewhat bloated
Opera seems a rather simple design to me.  It does have greater configurability than Firefox, configurability isn't necessarily bloat.

Firefox has a simple design
Are you sure you don't have Firefox & Opera mixed up ???  Firefox's interface is a pain.  I like Opera's simple & easy interface. :) 8)

Please don't be offended by me, "One man's ceiling is another man's floor".  In other words, we don't all see things the same way. ;D

I regard Firefox as a wantabe os. ;D

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #1210 on: April 02, 2009, 03:41:13 AM »
I Really Really think both the Gmail and Opera Thing were a April Fool's Joke-Don't You ??? :)
here's a link to show some of the jokes pulled off today-scroll down
http://aprilfoolsdayontheweb.com/

Dan,

Download Opera Face Gestures & wink ;).  Let us know what happens. ;D

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #1211 on: April 02, 2009, 03:46:09 AM »
Last time I tried Opera I felt it had an interface which was somewhat bloated
Opera seems a rather simple design to me.  It does have greater configurability than Firefox, configurability isn't necessarily bloat.

Are you sure you don't have Firefox & Opera mixed up ???  Firefox's interface is a pain.  I like Opera's simple & easy interface. :) 8)

Please don't be offended by me, "One man's ceiling is another man's floor".  In other words, we don't all see things the same way. ;D

I regard Firefox as a wantabe os. ;D
[/quote]

I'm not offended. I was only speaking from my own experience. I used to have to use three browsers when I was on Win95 which  was not too long ago. Firefox (2.4 unless I'm wrong) was stable with Java, Opera (6.9... the 7.0 didn't work for me) was fast when checking the e-mail and Netscape (forgot the version) was a mix between the two.

The last Version of Opera I saw was 8. something. Then again tis was on a school computer so they might have overcrowded the interface. who knows. From my perspective it was different from what I had at home. Unless I am thinking of Netscape in which case I was wrong in my statements about Opera. When I have some spare time I will download it and see how it changed. Thank you for you comments Rrdmaloyjr. Like my name says I'm Confused  (at least sometimes) ;D
Computer Systems:

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #1212 on: April 02, 2009, 02:55:14 PM »
I have tried opera several times and never got to like the interface, different strokes for different folks.

For me Firefox now feels like a comfortable pair of shoes, hard to give up ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #1213 on: April 02, 2009, 03:01:07 PM »
I have tried opera several times and never got to like the interface, different strokes for different folks.
For me Firefox now feels like a comfortable pair of shoes, hard to give up ;D
Feel exactly the same... the lack of configurability (given by the addons) is another con to Opera.
The best things in life are free.

CharleyO

« Reply #1214 on: April 03, 2009, 04:00:58 AM »

There are a few add-ons for Opera but it hardly needs any. I see that as a pro for Opera.    ;D