Author Topic: Interesting Software and System News  (Read 2817238 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Interesting Software and System News
« Reply #1290 on: May 08, 2009, 01:39:31 PM »
So it will give users even more headaches? Why doesn't Microsoft just give up on WGA and stop  irritating their customers. The people who want to pirate Windows will always find a way around the anti-piracy software. Put those WGA developers to work actually making Windows a useable OS again like it was in the 2k/XP days.
You're almost defending piracy.
You're almost just making FUD.
You're biased Mac. Sorry.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #1291 on: May 08, 2009, 04:18:51 PM »
He isn't defending piracy, but the WGA doesn't stop piracy, just penalises the end user who may have thought the installation on his system was legit.

With the current incarnation of WGA, it is the end user who is constantly jumping through hoops, even those with legit OS versions, it is a right royal pain in the rear and it is that to which Mac I believe refers.

Having started to read the link Bob gave I almost fell asleep sooooo boring, with more of the same stuff trotted out, but just reworded and the legal end users is still treated as a crook. Not to mention the thousands, probably hundreds of thousands of legit users that fall foul of the WGA process deciding their version isn't legit and the hassle they have to go through to prove their innocence and get WGA to accept their OS.

Though I have to say it seems a bit rich coming from Mac, who so strongly defends the Orchards practice of stopping anyone using OSX on a non-mac system ;D :P

@ Mac
XP is included in the WGA web, but it doesn't have some of the other onerous stuff like UAC.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #1292 on: May 08, 2009, 04:53:36 PM »
Almost...
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #1293 on: May 08, 2009, 05:00:21 PM »
Almost...

Or even 'almost' defending it ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #1294 on: May 08, 2009, 05:10:59 PM »
So it will give users even more headaches? Why doesn't Microsoft just give up on WGA and stop  irritating their customers. The people who want to pirate Windows will always find a way around the anti-piracy software. Put those WGA developers to work actually making Windows a useable OS again like it was in the 2k/XP days.
You're almost just making FUD.
You're biased Mac. Sorry.

Im not defending piracy in any way and this is not meant as FUD toward Microsoft. And while I am anti-microsoft, its not just Microsoft thats doing this. Adobe comes to mind as well. We have had customers come in with a failed Hard Drive, we replace it under warranty then they come back saying they Can't reinstall Photoshop/Acrobat/Illustrator/whatever due to you have to deactivate the old installation first which of course they can't do and then Adobe treats them like criminals when they call and try to explain.

He isn't defending piracy, but the WGA doesn't stop piracy, just penalises the end user who may have thought the installation on his system was legit.

With the current incarnation of WGA, it is the end user who is constantly jumping through hoops, even those with legit OS versions, it is a right royal pain in the rear and it is that to which Mac I believe refers.

Having started to read the link Bob gave I almost fell asleep sooooo boring, with more of the same stuff trotted out, but just reworded and the legal end users is still treated as a crook. Not to mention the thousands, probably hundreds of thousands of legit users that fall foul of the WGA process deciding their version isn't legit and the hassle they have to go through to prove their innocence and get WGA to accept their OS.

Like I said I am not promoting Piracy in any way, I am all for companies protecting their software. I just don't like the Way Microsoft and others currently handle their anti-piracy measures. As you said it is making the legitimate users jump through hoops. I simply think they need to either drop it altogether because pirates will always find a way, or spend the time to develop a system that will not even be noticed by legitimate users.

Though I have to say it seems a bit rich coming from Mac, who so strongly defends the Orchards practice of stopping anyone using OSX on a non-mac system 
Doing so Violates the License Agreement. And while I am particularly defensive over OSX, I would defend any software in which the users were violating the license agreement. For example I have told many many users of Avast and AVG free editions that they are not allowed to use it in a business environment (Happens all the time)

XP is included in the WGA web, but it doesn't have some of the other onerous stuff like UAC.

I referred to XP because it did not come with nearly as much anti-piracy measures as Vista/Win 7 have.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #1296 on: May 08, 2009, 05:44:05 PM »
What's New in Windows 7 Release Candidate (RC)

I've Been duel booting the RC and Vista since it came out and I'm REALLY impressed, So much so that I'm thinking about going all 7.

Here's another great resource for info about 7.

http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/

I really like the new Media player, All the podcasts I watch play fine in it leaving me no reason to install VLC.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 05:57:39 PM by Marc57 »
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #1297 on: May 08, 2009, 07:28:09 PM »
Lets see just how much they want for the privilege and if the number of versions is up there with the Vista versions, e.g. Windows 7 Home Basic (read crippled), Windows 7 Home Premium (read what is about the minimum requirement), Windows 7 Home Ultimate, etc. etc. etc.

I really hope they don't go down that multi-version fiasco of Vista, but for sure if it is too expensive, I have no problem with XP Pro as it has/does all that I currently need.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #1298 on: May 08, 2009, 07:44:46 PM »
I really hope they don't go down that multi-version fiasco of Vista, but for sure if it is too expensive, I have no problem with XP Pro as it has/does all that I currently need.

That's right on many levels.

First of all, I don't mind paying for an Operating System that works well.  I DO mind paying $400 for an operating system, especially if I had just paid $400 for the previous version (vista) that came out a mere 2-3 years prior.  I know the upgrades are cheaper, but we all know that "upgrading an O/S" can cause problems.  I also know that there is a way to buy an "upgrade" version of vista, and do a clean install it on a blank system.

Still, How many small businesses can afford to pay close to $400 to put a new operating system on, let's say 8 computers that they own, having to make hardware upgrades just to support it, then having to find driver updates for their hardware / peripherals, updates to software that doesn't work right, and the time they spent to get it all working? How about if they had to pay someone like me to do the work for them?  It's way too much money...

Then, you have to figure out why they put so much time and effort to prevent hacking the O/S so that customers have to pay for it.

There's a reason they get hacked!!!  If they would just charge less, there would be many more legitimate purchases of the O/S, and a lot less hacking.

Gimme Win 7 "ultimate" for $150 and I'll buy it. Upgrade for $99 and I'll buy it, but when the darn thing is over $300-400 bucks, that's just getting ridiculous.

I'll just be happily hacking away for that price...
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

onlysomeone

« Reply #1299 on: May 08, 2009, 08:23:59 PM »
Gimme Win 7 "ultimate" for $150 and I'll buy it. Upgrade for $99 and I'll buy it, but when the darn thing is over $300-400 bucks, that's just getting ridiculous.

I'll just be happily hacking away for that price...

Buy a OEM/SB version... they are "quiet" cheap (compared to the full price :) )
A Vista Ultimate cost 150 euros as SB version... and hopefully Seven isn't much more expensive...
Or if you still go to school (like I do) you can buy the Ultimate of Vista for about 100 Euros ;)

yours
onlysomeone

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #1300 on: May 08, 2009, 09:13:25 PM »
While you are very right, I'm talking from more of a standpoint of a Consultant buying licenses for small businesses, or from a small business owner buying for his/her own company.  Yes, you could buy OEM, or have it pre-installed on a new machine, but the retail prices still need to come down.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #1301 on: May 08, 2009, 09:35:30 PM »
I'm not sure where you stand in license terms if you are allowed to buy the OEM version, without it coming as part of a new system, upgrade to the system, etc.

I know my new system I brought forward (June last year) the purchase so I could get XP Pro as there was much musings about not being able to get it after June 2008, only for MS to back down on this. So my version of XP Pro was OEM, but it still cost £105 and that when it was almost $2 to the £1. So not cheap considering Vista had been out for some time.

onlysomeone

« Reply #1302 on: May 09, 2009, 01:13:19 AM »
I'm not sure where you stand in license terms if you are allowed to buy the OEM version, without it coming as part of a new system, upgrade to the system, etc.

In Austria (i think in the whole EU) Microsoft is forced to offer OEMs to everyone/OEMs can be sold to anyone - as private user you can simply and legaly order it via the internet :)
the only disadvantage is that you just get one installation DVD - 32bit or 64bit (depends on what you choose...)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #1303 on: May 09, 2009, 01:31:11 AM »
Well an OEM version is only allowed to be installed on one system, so there would be no point in having 32bit & 64bit OS versions (they are also considered different OSes) apart from it being huge.

onlysomeone

« Reply #1304 on: May 09, 2009, 09:52:00 AM »
Well an OEM version is only allowed to be installed on one system, so there would be no point in having 32bit & 64bit OS versions (they are also considered different OSes) apart from it being huge.

Yes, but if you have an OEM license you are allowed to install either tho 32bit or the 64bit - you can buy a 32bit version and if you have a installation CD/DVD for 64bit you can also install this one...

I also have one Vista Ultimate Key and two installation DVDs (32 and 64bit) and I always alternate this two OS :)

EDIT: Okay, I'm not sure with the following as the article I read doesn't seem to be serious...
And i think thats the difference between the US and the EU - in the EU you are allowed to do with your license whatever you want... if you change your pc you can legaly take the OEM license with you and install it on your new pc or even sell it to anyone else - its only important that you have it installed on just one pc at one time...

EDIT 2:
You are right DavidR - the OEM is really just for one hardware, but what I meant was the SB (system builder) version - it is not chained to one hardware - it can be used on any hardware you want and can be legaly sold in the EU.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 10:32:45 AM by onlysomeone »