Author Topic: How to change my internet connexion for avast update?  (Read 3797 times)

jfd

How to change my internet connexion for avast update?
« on: February 15, 2006, 05:47:47 PM »
I've recently changed my internet connexion but avast keeps trying to use the old one to update.
How can I modify it?
Thanks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: How to change my internet connexion for avast update?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 06:04:15 PM »
avast doesn't connect to the internet, it checks for the presence of an internet connection and if present, it will use that to check for updates, it doesn't initiate the connection.

So something else is connecting to the internet. Can you explain fully what is happening, what were you doing  or trying to do at the time ?

What type of connection do you use (dial-up/broadband) ?
What is your firewall ?
Do your firewall logs show other programs trying to connect or connected at the same time ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

jfd

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 05:45:14 PM »
It works fine if I do manual update.

But if Avast does automatic update, the icon for my former internet connection shows. If I close this connection, I have an error message from avast saying that an error has occured. When asking for details, I have another message saying "impossible to connect to download39.avast.com".

The new connection is broadband and the old one is dial up.

I use the firewall provided with Windows Home XP SP2. (and open to any better suggestion)
As far as I am able to understand it, my firewall logs doesn't show any other programs trying to connect or connected at the same time.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 05:59:50 PM »
Ensure that your connection TYPE is correct, if you have left it on dial-up this could be the problem.

The XP firewall is better than none and almost any is better than XP's firewall, Zone Alarm free is fine with avast and it have a reasonably friendly user interface.

The windows firewall doesn't have logs.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

jfd

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 06:17:03 PM »
I had ticked the box "my computer is permanently connected to the internet".

I do have a log for my windows firewall (an option in "advanced" of windows firewall).

CharleyO

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006, 07:44:23 PM »

Welcome to the forums, jfd!    :)

So, your connection problem should be solved with David's suggestion ... right?    :)

Concider using Zone Alarm Free as your firewall. I have used this for over 5 years with much success and many others say it is one of the easiest to use for beginners. You can also use the Search button at the top of the page to search for other firewalls as this has been addressed on this forum many times.

Whatever firewall you decide to use, be sure to remember to allow all avast services (ashMailSv.exe, ashWebSv.exe, etc) access to the internet.

Please come back often, learn more, and maybe help others.    :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2006, 10:06:57 PM »
What I should have said was that windows firewall doesn't have 'extensive' logs (check the logging options, extremely limited) that many other firewalls do much like the fact that it doesn't provide full outbound protection.

jfd

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 10:37:55 AM »
Thank you very much for your help.

I think I will remove my dial up internet connection and see how it works. (I don't use it any more and was just keeping it as security in case of problem with my broadband connection. I'll just re-install it if necessary).

...and i'll use Zone Alarm as my firewall... ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2006, 06:01:28 PM »
No problem, let us know how you get on, welcome to the forums.