Author Topic: AVG Antivirus BETA 17.1  (Read 61875 times)

Offline Evjls

Re: NEW: AVG Antivirus BETA
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2016, 02:35:53 PM »
Is avast final (non-beta) getting the merged signatures now?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2016, 02:46:56 PM »
Is avast final (non-beta) getting the merged signatures now?

Short answer No.

However, this topic is about AVG Beta not avast Beta.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2016, 04:15:38 PM »
Wait a sec, so AVG is getting merged tech, but avast! isn't (yet)? That would be a bit of an odd decision.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2016, 04:54:19 PM »
Wait a sec, so AVG is getting merged tech, but avast! isn't (yet)? That would be a bit of an odd decision.

My take on it is that the AVG beta is might be working on the merged signatures. But the current avast beta is avast signatures and components. Nothing in the avast beta details to indicate that and perhaps the reverse.

Hi all,
sorry for the delay with this beta, but it's finally here. We are now busy working on integration with AVG but I hope you will like the changes coming early next year (and yes HIPS included (wink) ) Main purpose of this beta to test its stability and get your feedback on the new UI.
<snip>
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2016, 05:46:31 PM »
Don't worry, the merging goes both ways. In particular, the signatures/detections are in the virus definitions - and they will be the same.
Of course specific detections may depend on the metadata the program is able to supply, on the program settings etc. - so there might be tiny differences, but Avast is certainly getting new detections as well.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2016, 05:59:36 PM »
Don't worry, the merging goes both ways. In particular, the signatures/detections are in the virus definitions - and they will be the same.
Of course specific detections may depend on the metadata the program is able to supply, on the program settings etc. - so there might be tiny differences, but Avast is certainly getting new detections as well.

Thanks for the clarification Igor.

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2016, 07:07:46 PM »

Will Avast be getting the behavior blocker which it lacks from AVG IDP?
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2016, 07:13:13 PM »

Will Avast be getting the behavior blocker which it lacks from AVG IDP?

Of course! AVG already received HTTP scanner, CyberCapture and streaming updates from avast!. Of course avast! will also receive all the goodies from AVG. I've also heard Vlk mentioning AVG's emulator which was a surprising "gem" as well.

I hope that AVG and avast! teams will remain separate when it comes to developing new technologies, because apparently guys at AVG also know how to make good tech. And so are avast! guys. If they merge the teams too much they'll in a way fall into a trap where you become unable to look at things out of the box, causing quality of your tech to become worse and worse over time (or shall I say with smaller and smaller leaps forward). They should still share findings and tech, of course, but in a way, being separate a bit would help in a way.

Offline irongod

« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2016, 07:18:11 PM »
Considering that there is an avast beta session in progress (though that is glacial, almost seems to have been abandoned) released 03 November 2016 yet no beta updates.

So it seems somewhat strange to promote another completely different AV beta, in the Avast Support Forums, even in the circumstances.

:o indeed!
You take the tarot cards and throw them to the wind!

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2016, 07:22:40 PM »
Well, AVG and avast! are now effectively the same thing. I frankly don't mind seeing AVG stuff here at all. In fact I'd prefer AVG finding a new home here on this very forum. As separate subsection of course.

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2016, 07:23:07 PM »
Of course! AVG already received HTTP scanner, CyberCapture and streaming updates from avast!. Of course avast! will also receive all the goodies from AVG. I've also heard Vlk mentioning AVG's emulator which was a surprising "gem" as well.

I hope that AVG and avast! teams will remain separate when it comes to developing new technologies, because apparently guys at AVG also know how to make good tech. And so are avast! guys. If they merge the teams too much they'll in a way fall into a trap where you become unable to look at things out of the box, causing quality of your tech to become worse and worse over time (or shall I say with smaller and smaller leaps forward). They should still share findings and tech, of course, but in a way, being separate a bit would help in a way.

The AVG emulator and IDP will be good for starters. I'm sure there's still lots of more goodies in there and as long as Zen is kept away from Avast, I'm happy. I'd agree that it's best that the teams work separately on techniques rather than both just work on one together...
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

REDACTED

« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2016, 07:25:19 PM »
After all the issues yesterday, I was finally able to get this installed.  From what I can tell, Avast has been heavily intergrated into this.

Once they fix the shutdown issue, I will likely switch back to the Avast beta.  I just can't get passed the Zen launcher, although I am not particularly found of the Avast beta GUI either.  Also prefer Avast due to the available hardened mode.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2016, 07:25:46 PM »
In few words with Vlk, he mentioned Zen is remaining with AVG because it has been so integrated already. No plans to add Zen to avast! though. So, that's a good thing, because I really dislike Zen thingie... Totally unnecessary middle interface with unnecessary extra clicks to reach stuff you want to use.

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2016, 11:46:15 PM »
In fact I'd prefer AVG finding a new home here on this very forum. As separate subsection of course.

I agree :)

Also invite the AVG Gurus to join this forum, as we can learn from each other.

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

Offline Be Secure

• Long Time Avast User(10years.....) Security Enthusiast.
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2016, 03:34:27 AM »
In fact I'd prefer AVG finding a new home here on this very forum. As separate subsection of course.

I agree :)

Also invite the AVG Gurus to join this forum, as we can learn from each other.

Greetz, Red.
+1 :D
+1
+1.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 03:37:06 AM by Be Secure »
PC- Windows10 EDU 64Bit,avast! free 21.1.2449,uBlock Origin,NVT_OSA,GoogleChrome(64bit),CCleaner,Unchecky,ZAM Free,Shadow Defender.
Security Enthusiast