Author Topic: AVG Antivirus BETA 17.1  (Read 61317 times)

Offline Lord_Ami

Re: NEW: AVG Antivirus BETA
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2016, 07:40:15 PM »
now I'm really confused.

Me too.  Why isn't AVG AV just being killed off, and have the developers focus on the merged programs.  Seems silly to waste resources on a program that will be discontinued.

There's more to product than internals. AVG/Avast have different markets. For example, AVG is more known in U.S and Avast perhaps in EU/Brazil. That too requires them to market them differently (even though products share internals).

For an AV company it's not that easy to just dismiss one product and replace it with universal new one.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 07:42:14 PM by Lord_Ami »

Offline Patrick2

• Poster
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2016, 07:45:11 PM »
Confused 4

Reported Problems with the Avast beta in the forum,  example bsod on Windows 10 x64 Pro 1607 14393.447 build in the first week of the beta, memory management bsods, (not once, but twice, corrupted entire PC profile) but I stuck with Avast and reinstalled the stable version after clean install, as darn image drive didn't wanna start that day.

Windows 7 32bit Intel Atom little Desktop,  Scan Window issues, slow opening of the GUI on that system, (might be cause of system specs not sure),  Why waste resources on AVG Beta and stall the Avast beta it seems like,  I do like the new GUI color of the 12.4 version and I hope it's stable enough to use once final. 

Been with Avast since 2006, minus brief time of testing Microsoft Security Essentials/Defender in 2009 & 2012 respectfully, but 2 of 4 PC's always had Avast.   My Android Phone even has Avast now. 

And Will Avast be compatible with Windows Creator Update builds again including ones in the Preview currently? 
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 07:46:42 PM by Patrick2 »
Windows 10 Pro 64bit 1909 18363.476, Intel I7 7700 Nvidia Geforce 1050 16gb DDR4, WD 250GBSSD, 1tb Storage, Avast Free 19.8.2393
HP Omen Laptop Intel I7 7700HQ, 8gb Of Ram Windows 10 Home x64 1909 18363.476 128GB SSD, 1tb Storage, Avast Free 19.8.2393

REDACTED

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2016, 07:45:52 PM »

For an AV company it's not that easy to just dismiss one product and replace it with universal new one.

Companies do it all the time.  Seems really silly to continue to develop two AV programs under two different brands. 

Also, at this point, I have my doubts AVG is more well known in the USA than Avast.  It seems to me the AV name has been fading for 10+ years.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2016, 11:14:15 PM »
Guys,

I understand the confusion, but please try to help us if at all possible.

- There are tens of millions of people around the world using the AVG AV product, and we want to serve them with the best product possible
- There's really no community around AVG, and we were hoping our great Avast community could help us test this. Please try to be constructive.
- Of course, we continue running full throttle towards releasing a whole-new version of Avast as well.
- Both of these branded releases are planned for January (first AVG, then Avast).
- I'm quite confident that when these products reach their final release stage (at the end of January), you will be positively surprised by their improved core detection/protection capabilities. Given what I know about the two technologies, I can tell you I am super excited about the combination and can't wait to see it fully deployed to the market.
- After that, we will continue with the monthly release schedule we promised last summer.

Thanks
Vlk

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Secondmineboy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2016, 11:18:42 PM »
Guys,

I understand the confusion, but please try to help us if at all possible.

- There are tens of millions of people around the world using the AVG AV product, and we want to serve them with the best product possible
- There's really no community around AVG, and we were hoping our great Avast community could help us test this. Please try to be constructive.
- Of course, we continue running full throttle towards releasing a whole-new version of Avast as well.
- Both of these branded releases are planned for January (first AVG, then Avast).
- I'm quite confident that when these products reach their final release stage (at the end of January), you will be positively surprised by their improved core detection/protection capabilities. Given what I know about the two technologies, I can tell you I am super excited about the combination and can't wait to see it fully deployed to the market.
- After that, we will continue with the monthly release schedule we promised last summer.

Thanks
Vlk

Im prepared to test the next Betas both inside and outside of VmWare machines :)

Just be faster with releasing them :P
Windows 10 1909, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, 500 GB 5400 RPM HDD, 1366 by 768 LCD Screen, Intel Core i3 5010U Dual Core, Intel HD Graphics 5500
HUAWEI P30 Pro. Android 10

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2016, 11:32:36 PM »
My main concerns are Zen launcher thing which is annoying and my second concern is that avast! will be getting this garbage as well. I can't stand this garbage with AVIRA and I'll never ever use it because of it. AVG was also annoying, but if you used FileHippo stand alone installer, you could just use the AVG Antivirus. avast! was cool the entire time because it never had this crap. But I fear it'll get it now as well...

EDIT:
This new AVG merged with avast! is nice. Apart from Zen garbage which I can't stand it AT ALL, avast! has done more to AVG GUI than they have in last few years. In fact, (again, apart from Zen part) I actually consider new AVG's interface superior to avast!'s new GUI. avast!'s felt like a rough draft where AVG's feels like a proper polished GUI which feels familiar because of avast! components and arrangement, but it still has AVG's signature feel. It's weird actually. And I'm sticking with AVG free for now. Not kidding, I like it more than avast! GUI.

But for the love of god, give users option to install new AVG without Zen launcher component. Or at least default to it, but allow users to remove it afterwards.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 11:48:15 PM by RejZoR »
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

REDACTED

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2016, 11:47:36 PM »
My main concerns are Zen launcher thing which is annoying and my second concern is that avast! will be getting this garbage as well. I can't stand this garbage with AVIRA and I'll never ever use it because of it. AVG was also annoying, but if you used FileHippo stand alone installer, you could just use the AVG Antivirus. avast! was cool the entire time because it never had this crap. But I fear it'll get it now as well...

+1

Offline Patrick2

• Poster
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2016, 11:50:47 PM »
Never used AVG Products, but I suppose I could setup at least one machine for testing it on, despite that is also my Avast test machine lol, so will have to pick a product to test, and stick with it, Can't do Virtual machine on that system, as no space, and no space on main Desktop either for that.   So will see what to do regarding testing in coming days
Windows 10 Pro 64bit 1909 18363.476, Intel I7 7700 Nvidia Geforce 1050 16gb DDR4, WD 250GBSSD, 1tb Storage, Avast Free 19.8.2393
HP Omen Laptop Intel I7 7700HQ, 8gb Of Ram Windows 10 Home x64 1909 18363.476 128GB SSD, 1tb Storage, Avast Free 19.8.2393

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2016, 12:00:47 AM »
I already managed to break this stupid Zen component.

The "Free Antivirus" has changed to "Internet Security" and now I can't access ANY of the antivirus controls or settings. WHAT!? All I did was change the device icon from laptop to desktop. And now it's broken. :o
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2016, 12:08:06 AM »
Never used AVG Products, but I suppose I could setup at least one machine for testing it on
<snip>

I abandoned AVG almost 13 years ago for avast and have never looked back. It would actually feel really weird trying it.

My biggest problem is a system to test it on, No way it is going on this XP Pro system my most used system. It isn't going on my new Win10 laptop (under two weeks old), possibly because I still hate win10, more so now I have it. This would leave my win7 netbook, but that is so under powered only 10.1", 1024X600 screen, 2GB DDR3 RAM, Intel Atom N255 (1.5GHz dual core) CPU.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Patrick2

• Poster
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2016, 12:12:27 AM »
Yeah my little atom PC is very unpowered, barely can open the Avast new GUI, not sure if it will be any better with AVG, but I guess worth a shot, might work on that tomorrow though.  Windows 10 Machine staying with Avast, XP Laptop dead, memory sticks or hard drive died, so that leaves either 1 of the Windows 10 Systems, or the Little Atom revo  Desktop lol

Specs of Atom machine
1.6ghz Single Core Intel Atom
1.5gb of ram
160gb hard drive 5400RPM

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2016, 03:36:21 AM »
I guess its like General Motors, using different brand names dependent on geography, but built on the same platform.

Installed on 10 x64, scan completed with no issues. Virus definitions look to use the same version format as Avast now. 
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline Lord_Ami

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2016, 10:00:08 AM »
I already managed to break this stupid Zen component.

The "Free Antivirus" has changed to "Internet Security" and now I can't access ANY of the antivirus controls or settings. WHAT!? All I did was change the device icon from laptop to desktop. And now it's broken. :o

I had similar experience. Seems like bug.

Offline Andrey,pro

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Things happen
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2016, 04:43:59 PM »
Just installed it on my laptop and I love it's UI much more than Avast's in latest Beta but I hate Zen garbage too. Why do I need to run Zen to get access to antivirus part?

REDACTED

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2016, 06:05:49 PM »
in a way i kind of agree why not send out notifications to avg users that they will all be merged over to avast and then have one universal product. i have seen many companies try to run with the multiple branding thing in all different fields not just av's and usually either one fails or both tend to suffer. i would love to see a brand new product that takes each of the best of both and make one ultimate av.

and yes please no launchers or anything avira did that and everyone i know of hates it.

i will be testing both though and will until maybe they do get merged together. although i have never been an avg person really.