Author Topic: AVG Antivirus BETA 17.1  (Read 61313 times)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: NEW: AVG Antivirus BETA
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2016, 06:28:42 PM »
Hi beta testers,
today we got something special for you. As you probably noticed AVAST recently acquired AVG and today we release the very first beta version of the new AVG Antivirus.
I hope you don't mind that I post it here on AVAST forum, please give it a try and let us know your opinion.
Hi Martin, if you want to beta-test AVG here, I strongly suggest to create a child board for it. Cheers.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2016, 07:10:49 PM »
Companies do it all the time.  Seems really silly to continue to develop two AV programs under two different brands. 

Well, silly. Despite what you're saying, the AVG user base is still very strong (especially in English speaking countries) and we see no point in forcing people to move to Avast. It's like if Coca-Cola bought Pepsi and decided to migrate all Pepsi customers to Coke -- doable, but not necessarily wise. There's a lot of nuance and personal biases that make this risky.

Long term, we may end up with one brand only but it's definitely not something we think can be done quickly. The current view is that 1-2 years would be a minimum, assuming everything went smoothly.

This new AVG merged with avast! is nice. Apart from Zen garbage which I can't stand it AT ALL, avast! has done more to AVG GUI than they have in last few years. In fact, (again, apart from Zen part) I actually consider new AVG's interface superior to avast!'s new GUI.

Super, happy to hear that. I think the team has done a very good job with the new AVG GUI (especially given the short time frame), although I personally still prefer the new Avast Nitro UI (especially with the latest changes that you haven't seen yet). They are both nice.

But, frankly, UI is just the wrapping and I'm sure you will agree that what really matters is what's inside. And that's where things start to get really interesting. Now, it's a bit awkward to talk about it just now as some of the key features are still missing from the engine (such as the AVG code emulator, which, in my view, is a real gold nugget) but in some 4-6 weeks from today, we should have everything integrated. We're pulling all the stops and integrating the tech as fast as we can now...

But for the love of god, give users option to install new AVG without Zen launcher component. Or at least default to it, but allow users to remove it afterwards.

Well... Zen has been an integral part of AVG for a few years now, and is staying. We plan to integrate it to the main AV UI, but that will come later -- as, again, we feel we need to focus on the engine first.

I already managed to break this stupid Zen component.

The "Free Antivirus" has changed to "Internet Security" and now I can't access ANY of the antivirus controls or settings. WHAT!? All I did was change the device icon from laptop to desktop. And now it's broken. :o

I think that's a bug and the team will undoubtedly be interested in exact steps to reproduce it. Can you help?

Just installed it on my laptop and I love it's UI much more than Avast's in latest Beta but I hate Zen garbage too. Why do I need to run Zen to get access to antivirus part?

Glad to hear you like new AVG UI. For Zen, please see above. We have some plans, but we will first release a version that addresses the internals and only then start making changes to Zen etc.

in a way i kind of agree why not send out notifications to avg users that they will all be merged over to avast and then have one universal product. i have seen many companies try to run with the multiple branding thing in all different fields not just av's and usually either one fails or both tend to suffer. i would love to see a brand new product that takes each of the best of both and make one ultimate av.

We think the dual-brand strategy is the right approach for now.  There's just too much risk in trying to migrate tens of millions of users from one brand to another. We will be revisiting this later.

Thanks, guys.
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Patrick2

• Poster
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2016, 07:29:52 PM »
Well I'm Sure once Testing is done for both versions, both will top notch protection no matter which version use, and much better than Default Windows Defender Security in Windows 8.1 and 10 in my opinion, tried Defender a bit when Anniversary update came out for Windows 10 out of curiousness, and took like 3 hours to do a full scan, soon as that was done reinstalled Avast lol

Will Get to Testing AVG on that upstairs Windows 7 Intel Atom PC, only machine can test really on these days, but am happy to test and report anything, and hopefully have all the little and major bugs found and top notch protection on all my systems in 2017

Windows 10 Pro 64bit 1909 18363.476, Intel I7 7700 Nvidia Geforce 1050 16gb DDR4, WD 250GBSSD, 1tb Storage, Avast Free 19.8.2393
HP Omen Laptop Intel I7 7700HQ, 8gb Of Ram Windows 10 Home x64 1909 18363.476 128GB SSD, 1tb Storage, Avast Free 19.8.2393

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2016, 07:58:05 PM »
Hi beta testers,
today we got something special for you. As you probably noticed AVAST recently acquired AVG and today we release the very first beta version of the new AVG Antivirus.
I hope you don't mind that I post it here on AVAST forum, please give it a try and let us know your opinion.
Hi Martin, if you want to beta-test AVG here, I strongly suggest to create a child board for it. Cheers.

I second that :)

Otherwise things will mix up if AVG testers create new topics here in this board.

Greetz, Red.

Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2016, 08:42:19 PM »
@Vlk
Certainly, I agree what's under the hood is the most important. But interface is what gives users the first impression. If it's professionally done and pleasing to the eye, people trust it more already, even if they don't know anything about its detection rate. Human psychology 101.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

REDACTED

« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2016, 08:53:13 PM »
@VLK

So how should the user choose between AVG and Avast?  Is it eventually going to be pretty much the same program, just with a different skin/GUI? 

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2016, 09:05:07 PM »
@Vlk
Certainly, I agree what's under the hood is the most important. But interface is what gives users the first impression. If it's professionally done and pleasing to the eye, people trust it more already, even if they don't know anything about its detection rate. Human psychology 101.
Spot-on. The average Joe rather goes for look & feel than technical details.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2016, 09:35:32 PM »
@Vlk

Sure thing, I'm not questioning the importance of UX at all. Just that it feels to me that whenever we focus make changes to the UI, folks complain about lack of changes under the hood (my favorite question being "What's happening with the HIPS?" :-)) and when we upgrade the internals, the discussion skews towards the UI. But, RejZoR, Asyn and other, I think we're all on the same page after all -- we want Avast to simply excel in all areas, from detection rates and core technology to kick-ass UI. I totally second that.

So how should the user choose between AVG and Avast?  Is it eventually going to be pretty much the same program, just with a different skin/GUI? 

You guys should use Avast. ;)

Cheers
Vlk

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2016, 09:49:02 PM »

I agree with that.

Well, silly. Despite what you're saying, the AVG user base is still very strong (especially in English speaking countries) and we see no point in forcing people to move to Avast. It's like if Coca-Cola bought Pepsi and decided to migrate all Pepsi customers to Coke -- doable, but not necessarily wise. There's a lot of nuance and personal biases that make this risky.

Long term, we may end up with one brand only but it's definitely not something we think can be done quickly. The current view is that 1-2 years would be a minimum, assuming everything went smoothly.

I'd agree that the AVG user base is very strong and you shouldn't force the move to Avast. However, what I do find strange is why release a BETA of Avast a month ago and then jump to an AVG beta without any new BETA on Avast.  If you will be developing two products, wouldn't that be double the work? What will happen if the two products have different detection rates in tests. I don't see a problem in taking time to merge but that should be taken with caution too.

But, frankly, UI is just the wrapping and I'm sure you will agree that what really matters is what's inside.

I completely agree with that.

Well... Zen has been an integral part of AVG for a few years now, and is staying.

Will there be an option in AVG to do a custom install like Avast and remove components that a user doesn't want?

Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline military

« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2016, 09:52:48 PM »
Vlk , actually all of you correctly made. It is sure, the majority supports you. We wait for further integration of products.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2016, 10:11:36 PM »
@Vlk

Sure thing, I'm not questioning the importance of UX at all. Just that it feels to me that whenever we focus make changes to the UI, folks complain about lack of changes under the hood (my favorite question being "What's happening with the HIPS?" :-)) and when we upgrade the internals, the discussion skews towards the UI. But, RejZoR, Asyn and other, I think we're all on the same page after all -- we want Avast to simply excel in all areas, from detection rates and core technology to kick-ass UI. I totally second that.

You guys should use Avast. ;)

Cheers
Vlk

Though I'd rather see avast! dominate all detection charts and tests. That also helps sales greatly. Is that antivirus good one may ask? Well, it tops all the possible tests. And many will ignore its looks if it means it'll protect them well. So, that's what I'm hoping for as the very first thing. Which helps me as user and helps you generating even more trust and of course more customers.

REDACTED

« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2016, 02:18:23 AM »
i also agree that for now at least you should keep them separate. what i meant is to slowly over some time work with users and eventually merge both. for sure not immediately. that would annoy a lot of people. but if done slowly and in a professional manner i do think in the long run it would work out. either way it would be great to have use of both technologies in both av's

fyi i am now testing both programs.

Offline kev777

« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2016, 11:45:15 AM »
hi, have installed NEW AVG Antivirus Beta, please can someone tell me the virus definitions are know 3 days old ? each time I check they are up to date? thank you   :)

Offline TrueIndian

• Poster
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2016, 05:56:55 PM »
I really like the new AVG merged with Avast! engine.

Vlk is right about merging the product too much of a risk....we don't want to lose the huge community that's going to help us even more detecting threats in real-time.

Looking forward to seeing more of this integration in both products and how it will affect them on the charts of detection.

Thanks,
TI

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2016, 06:32:57 PM »
hi, have installed NEW AVG Antivirus Beta, please can someone tell me the virus definitions are know 3 days old ? each time I check they are up to date? thank you   :)

Those are just big definitions. The streaming ones are still delivered every few minutes. Those are the same as the big ones, just delivered in more frequent fashion.