Author Topic: SVCHOST.EXE using 99% CPU time  (Read 2763 times)

REDACTED

SVCHOST.EXE using 99% CPU time
« on: November 17, 2016, 12:49:38 AM »
Hi, I've installed Avast and upgraded. I've run all the scans and cannot work out what this process is that keeps running and grinding my machine to a halt. I've done a reg clean, a disk cleanup, virus scan etc and all other avast recommendations to improve performance.

I'm posting this here because I never had this issue until I installed the free avast some weeks ago. I thought perhaps it might be something to do with Chrome as the file size is about right.

Once I kill the process the pc runs sweet but this process just seems to restart almost randomly.

I've attached a screenshot.
Any ideas please?

Chris.

REDACTED

Re: SVCHOST.EXE using 99% CPU time
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 02:55:09 AM »
I remember this from a long time ago from my brother's computer....I believe the problem was a rootkit at the time.

Offline Asyn

• Avast √úberevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 07:14:39 AM »
Start a new topic in V&W and post your logs there: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?action=post;board=4
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 10:04:20 AM »
What is using that instance of svchost ?

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 10:47:24 AM »
Hi Eddy, that is something I couldn't establish. I've been on this for most of the night. One website said to open processes and you can see what was running but it doesn't have those options on my version of xp.

http://www.wintips.org/how-to-fix-svchost-exe-netsvcs-memory-leak-or-high-cpu-usage-problems/

I think I might have solved it. I'm guessing it is windows automatic updates. I've only disabled these this morning and so far so good. I've looked down the comments in that article and someone else said it solved the issue.

I'm new to this forum and would just like to thank everyone who has replied.

regards, Chris.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 10:51:04 AM »
You can right click the service and see what it is using or perhaps easier > https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processexplorer.aspx

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 11:26:55 AM »
right clicking only gave me the option to end the process or show the process tree hence I couldn't identify what it was.
Thanks for the link, that looks like a useful tool.

regards, Chris.

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2016, 02:54:25 PM »
the solution by the way is to turn off Windows Automatic Updates. I'm guessing something to do with XP no longer being supported.

regards, Chris.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2016, 02:59:57 PM »
It is more likely Microsoft screwing up again.
The last months there are a huge amounts of complaints about updating not working and not only with XP but with all Windows versions.