Author Topic: Avast installation aborted due to incompatible software on Mac Sierra  (Read 3089 times)

REDACTED

I had Sophos installed.  It was scanning less than 5 items per 30 minutes with time machine.  I uninstalled Sophos with the uninstaller and then downloaded Avast.  It fails to install due to incompatible software.  No forum has a solution for this.  I am currently UNPROTECTED and need to get Avast (recommended by my technical support company) working.  Solutions? Anyone had similar problem?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Avast installation aborted due to incompatible software on Mac Sierra
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 10:20:00 PM »
Have you checked all folders to see if there is anything from Sophos left ?
Is there still something from Sophos running (could be a service) ?

Have you tried this ? > http://www.macexpertguide.com/how-to-uninstall-sophos-mac-antivirus/

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 03:05:15 AM »
Does sound like something remains of Sophos.  To check for a service still running Open Activity Monitor, make sure its set to view all processes (under View Menu). Look for anything related to Sophos still running.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 11:50:38 AM »
Hi,
Avast checks for the kernel extensions (KEXTs) of the other AVs. So if you get a message, that there
is incompatible SW, there is almost for sure some Sophos kernel extension loaded.