Author Topic: Why did THIS happen?  (Read 3858 times)

MichaelJ07

Why did THIS happen?
« on: February 18, 2006, 12:47:18 AM »
While running the evaluation software Avast 4 Pro, and while my current crappy antivirus is shut down, I recieved a popup warning from Norton (referenced earlier) that the Avast file in my temp held a virus.  Suspicious as I am, I quarentined it, THAN Mr. Harddrive went nutso with activity and the files scanned number never changed.

I stopped the scan, got to the report and Avast reported that all the Norton files were unable to be scanned due to some password thing (which there are no passwords in Norton.)

Did my little trojan worm infected computer put the kibash on this new ssoftware I'm trying out?

Thanks for the speedy reply.

MichaelJ

mauserme

Re: Why did THIS happen?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2006, 01:18:02 AM »
Did my little trojan worm infected computer put the kibash on this new ssoftware I'm trying out?

No, its not the trojans.  Its Norton.

NAV doesn't play well with other av programs, and its not a good idea to have more than one resident av installed anyway as this can cause conflicts (yes, even if one is not running).  I'm a little surprised you were even able to install avast! without first uninstalling Norton.

my current crappy antivirus

Most of the forum members are converts form other av products, so I won't argue with your description at all.  To really give avast! a try you will need to uninstall nav first, then try a repair of the avast! installation.  Make sure you are online, go to open add/remove programs in the control panel, click on avast! and choose the repair option.  I think you will be happy with the results of your efforts.

If your have trouble uninstalling nav there are removal tools available.  It can be difficult to get rid of.

As far as the password, most av programs have password protected virus signatures.  This is a good thing since it prevents other av programs from scanning the signature file and reporting lots of infections.  Panda AV is the only exception to this I know, but there may be others.

If you really feel you have trojans you should also download and scan with Ewido.  Its very good at finding and removing trojans and should not conflict with other av products.

Hope this helps, and welcome to the forum.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2006, 01:20:30 AM by mauserme »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2006, 01:59:10 AM »
Two resident AVs doesn't bring twice the protection, rather twice the likelihood of conflict. NAV gets so deep into your system that there are times wheneven after an uninstall stuff remains. It is often harder to get rid of than a virus.

When avast scans archive/packed files they have to be extracted to a temporary folder to be scanned. Unfortunately NAV is also scanning the unpacked files and if there is a virus, NAV will alert and then it becomes a fight between two AVs busily trying to lock files to stop them being activated.

You should decide on which AV you wish to have installed and many here would say no contest, avast! (having just won the USA, SC Magazine best Anti-Virus award http://www.scawards.com/winners/2006.asp). There are also many ex NAV users who are now happy avast! users.

To test any resident AV it is essential to uninstall any existing AV. After an NAV uninstall it is wise to run this program removal tool, which can remove the remnants of a number of different Norton Programs:
Removing your Norton program using SymNRT
« Last Edit: February 18, 2006, 02:03:26 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

MichaelJ07

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2006, 02:20:24 AM »
Uninstalled the Norton stuff before coming here to check the repsonses.  Thanks for all the great advice!  Nice forum (like the woodworkig forums.)

I went over four years without any viruses or maladies.  A lot of Internet use during that four years, but never did gather much info on removing viruses since I didn't need to.

Again, thanks and I'm certain to have a nice relationship with Avast over the next few hundred years.

Michael

mauserme

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2006, 02:36:32 AM »
Glad it worked out, Michael.  Come back often.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2006, 03:07:56 PM »
Welcome to the forums and the avast! family.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security