Author Topic: outgoing mail 'youre wife wants it bigger?!'  (Read 8397 times)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: outgoing mail 'youre wife wants it bigger?!'
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2006, 06:31:13 PM »
LSA: Settings (Registry key, nothing done)
  HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1390067357-854245398-1060284298-1000\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa

Windows Security Center.AntiVirusOverride: Settings (Registry change, nothing done)
  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusOverride!=dword:0

Windows Security Center.AntiVirusDisableNotify: Settings (Registry change, nothing done)
  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify!=dword:0

I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but I think that these entries show that your windows security centre is turned off.. I'm glad things worked for you, stick around and visit sometimes, life is not all about problems  ;D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2006, 07:15:36 PM »
I think it not that the Windows Security Center is switched off, rather the anti-virus checks are disabled. It would depend on what the dword value 0 means. 'Off' or  'On' (1 = on ?). However, you should be able to check this by opening the WSC and if the check is disabled, enable it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

gvoo

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2006, 10:59:28 PM »
Hey essexboy! I've put on zonealarm but am now having trouble with soulseek, which I use a lot. :-) I've put the soulseek website on my 'trusted' websites. I can get onto soulseek, search files and download them but I keep getting the ZoneAlarm Security Alert saying it has blocked internet access to your computer from (ip address). I think these are p2p people on soul seek trying to access my files, because no-one is downloading. also, when i try to click on their weblink (which you can donate money on paypal) it just keeo coming up blank. Help, can I have soulseek AND zonealarm. Thanks everyone!
Operating System: Windows 2000 Pro
Product Name: ZoneAlarm (Free)

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2006, 07:21:36 PM »
I can get onto soulseek, search files and download them but I keep getting the ZoneAlarm Security Alert saying it has blocked internet access to your computer from (ip address). I think these are p2p people on soul seek trying to access my files, because no-one is downloading
  This shows that ZA is working and you are not getting downloads on your system that you don't want, you can disable the ZA popups by putting a tick in the don't show this again box.. What is the URL for soulseek I'll go and have a look.

gvoo

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2006, 09:48:00 PM »
hey essex boy!! The number is 38.115.131.135, website www.slsknet.org. I would rather have the firewall than nothing but as a file share its kinda uncool not to share files...... Any ideas for a compromise?!

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2006, 11:38:49 PM »
In a way it depends on how infested you want your system to be.  Without the firewall you are wide open to attack especially when you open your computer to share files.  One way might be to put a lockdown on all folders except the one you are willing to share, however that is still dangerous.  The links appear to work for me with the exception of the shop where I get a 404 error, maybe the server is down or has moved/changed address

gvoo

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2006, 11:43:36 PM »
hmmmmm youre right. I dont know what I changed but now people can download off my pc on soulseek when I have zonealarm on. I have put soulseek on as a trusted server/website, maybe that is why. I think if i took it off i could still search/download but no one could see my files. Still, wont avast offer some protection? I have the p2p protectionn on high?

liljoe

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2006, 02:06:42 PM »
this thread.... ugh
i'm shocked your pc has survived as long as it has. i'm assuming you've placed soulseek into ZA as a trusted zone, big no no.. may as well just uninstall ZA. remove that 'network', go to 'firewall', 'custom' (both trusted & internet) add in the ports that soulseek uses. Then do the same on your router, you do have a router right, since you're filesharing you now know that your pc is a target, from both portscanners and your isp...
before really doing all that though, i'd personally start off by backing up all my 'data', is your HD partitioned? multiple drives? external drive/dvd burner. regardless, rip all your stuff off the windows partition (c:). bookmarks, email, mp3, pics, exe, etc. reinstall windows, install ZA, plug into the net, install all OS updates, install avast, spyware blaster, ms antispy, spybot, adaware, firefox or opera, thunderbird, ccleaner, to start with (defrag along the way...).
Now your pc will be 'safer', to do the things you and housemates might do. sorry if all this sounds abit curt, but your pc was being controlled by someone else, sending out dozens if not thousands of spam messages to other equally unprotected folks. 
hope this helps some, happy surfing...