Author Topic: Avast Smart Scan  (Read 3023 times)

Offline Wittmann

• Pegasus
  • Retired professional engineer BSc.Eng M.I.Mech.E
Avast Smart Scan
« on: December 15, 2016, 06:01:31 PM »
I am delighted with the Smart Scan, for two  reasons, I have confidence it is efficient and it only takes a short time to complete, a massive amount of time less than other AV scans.

May I askwhy Avast is so quick, yet is considered thorough enough to confidently cleanse the PC of virus's and malware ?
UTRINQUE PARATUS
Windows 10 version 20H2 - Avast free AV - ZoneAlarm Firewall

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: Avast Smart Scan
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 07:32:59 PM »
Smart Scan is so fast because it doesn't scan full system drive. If you look into its settings you'll notice it only scans system memory and programs located in startup sections of the operating system. It makes the most sense to scan these locations on regular basis, but it's not the most thorough method...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Wittmann

• Pegasus
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 07:41:43 PM »
Smart Scan is so fast because it doesn't scan full system drive. If you look into its settings you'll notice it only scans system memory and programs located in startup sections of the operating system. It makes the most sense to scan these locations on regular basis, but it's not the most thorough method...

Thank you
UTRINQUE PARATUS

Offline Wittmann

• Pegasus
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 03:37:22 PM »
Before I go - I realise that the Smart Scan selects only the files which are considered high risk, but what purpose is there in  using it when the infection may  rest outside that package ?
UTRINQUE PARATUS

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 04:59:07 PM »
Before I go - I realise that the Smart Scan selects only the files which are considered high risk, but what purpose is there in  using it when the infection may  rest outside that package ?

Because the file system shield is an on-access scanner and scans all files that are going to be run/active.

Whilst the Smart Scan is a little different, since there are options not covered, such as your network scan or browser scan (if you have these functions installed).

- But with a resident (on-access) scanner, like avast the need for on-demand scans is much depreciated. For the most part dormant/inert files are being scanned, the other active files are going to be scanned by the resident shields when they are activated.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Wittmann

• Pegasus
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 05:09:15 PM »
@ DavidR

Thank you very much. The more I learn about Avast, the more I like it.
UTRINQUE PARATUS

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2016, 06:47:03 PM »
You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security