Author Topic: NEW: AVG Antivirus Beta 17.1.3003  (Read 17372 times)

Offline MartinZ

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
NEW: AVG Antivirus Beta 17.1.3003
« on: December 15, 2016, 07:06:57 PM »
Hi all,
enjoy the new beta refresh AVG 17.1.3003. We have fixed several issue, but installation over existing AVG or Avast installation is still not supported, so please install on a clean machine.
If you previous AVG Beta from last week installed, then you can use the in-product update(Menu->Settings->Update). No need to install again.

What's new:

- When malware blocked we now show dialog window instead of systray notification (this is current AVG behavior)
- Complete scan now scans system drive for viruses
- fixed problem with opening firewall dialog about new network each restart
- fixed non-working update button in Zen
- fixed smaller bugs

Known issues:
- Unfinished implementation of File Shredder (user interface, shredding from shell extension)
- CyberCapture not removing infecting files
- Unfinished implementation of functions in quarantine
- Software Analyzer is disabled (Windows XP only)

Download links:

AVG AntiVirus Free
Online: https://www.avg.com/download-antivirus-free-beta-1795
Offline 32-bit: https://www.avg.com/download-antivirus-free-beta-x86-1799
Offline 64-bit: https://www.avg.com/download-antivirus-free-beta-x64-1797

AVG Internet Security
Online: https://www.avg.com/download-internet-security-beta-1785
Offline 32-bit: https://www.avg.com/download-internet-security-beta-x86-1789
Offline 64-bit: https://www.avg.com/download-internet-security-beta-x64-1787

Enjoy this beta!
We are looking forward to your feedback.

AVAST Team

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: NEW: AVG Antivirus Beta 17.1.3003
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 07:26:14 PM »
To be honest, dialog window for detections is a stupid idea. Just because AVG used it before, that doesn't mean it's good. I don't want antivirus interrupting me during work, especially not in the middle of the screen where you're bound to click OK on it while doing your work. That chance decreases by like 80% if you show a small popup in bottom right corner of the screen.
Not to mention how silly it is for blocked URL's. Great, so it blocked it. Moving on. You've already protected me, why are you then annoying me with a popup where I have to click OK to get rid of it? I just want to continue working. But that's just me, thinking too logically...

Btw, have just completed testing Software Analyzer against several Ransomware and it blocked all samples by behavior alone, except Petya and Dircrypt which got through. IDP seems to be VERY capable beast. Make sure you guys will invest a lot of time into enhancing it. This is what I was waiting for since avast! 5.0 when Behavior Shield appeared and we never actually got it till this day when avast! bought AVG and incorporated their tech. Better late than never I guess...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 07:33:00 PM »
I don't want antivirus interrupting me during work, especially not in the middle of the screen where you're bound to click OK on it while doing your work.

I suspect most people get viruses while NOT doing work.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 07:36:37 PM »
By "work" I meant doing anything on a computer. You don't want silly popups to interrupt whatever you were doing by showing up in the middle of the screen requiring you to click OK to get rid of them. I want them to go away on their own over short time. It's how all modern AV's do because the popup in the middle of the screen with OK button got annoying at some point in the past. Companies redesigned this ages ago. And now we are returning to it? Why?

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 07:46:50 PM »
I like the popups in the middle of the screen.  Guess I am old fashioned.  Often times by the time I glance down to the bottom of the screen, the system tray popups have closed.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 07:51:53 PM »
I like the popups in the middle of the screen.  Guess I am old fashioned.  Often times by the time I glance down to the bottom of the screen, the system tray popups have closed.
You can adjust popup time in avast

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 08:09:44 PM »

I'm probably considered old fashioned, but I dislike popups that go centre screen, even more so if they steal focus and have an active button. This could end up with accidental clicking of said button and getting whatever the default action is. Even if it doesn't have an active button it is in your face the avast toaster style alert is much beter.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 09:23:39 PM »
Virus popups should be pretty rare, so I don't see it as a big issue either way.

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2016, 01:31:29 AM »
Does this beta have the option to prompt you what action you want to take whenever a threat is found?  If it does, I'll start testing it right away.

If it only has auto quarantine I'll stick with my current antivirus for now.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2016, 06:04:40 AM »
Does this beta have the option to prompt you what action you want to take whenever a threat is found?  If it does, I'll start testing it right away.

If it only has auto quarantine I'll stick with my current antivirus for now.

It defaults to Auto quarantine for everything, but you can disable that. Settings to control this are identical to avast!'s.

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2016, 07:53:54 AM »
It defaults to Auto quarantine for everything, but you can disable that. Settings to control this are identical to avast!'s.
Thanks.  I'm trying it now.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2016, 03:08:01 PM »
Well I jumped on the bandwagon as well..  Initial thoughts when set up

Installation took about three times longer that a normal clean install of Avast.  Probably in excess of three minutes 

Do not like the zen interface, I would rather go direct to the main UI and select zen if I wish to use it as not everyone is networked.  Also the UI access route is not intuitive

Scan speed appears a lot slower than Avast

I am glad to see that you have ported the boot scan

Generally AVG feels slow compared to Avast during start and scans

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2016, 03:13:01 PM »
Hmm just went over to the AVG forum and from what I could see it is a totaL waste of space .. Sorry but I think I will remain here :)

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2016, 03:39:08 PM »
Hi essexboy :)

How are you ?

It is good to see you are still " alive and kicking " my friend ;D

Greetz, Erik.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2016, 03:53:15 PM »
Hmm just went over to the AVG forum and from what I could see it is a totaL waste of space .. Sorry but I think I will remain here :)

It hasn't change much then, it's been like that for some considerable time from my memory.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security