Author Topic: Scan REsults still not available for examination.**Solved**  (Read 5895 times)

Linuxrevolt

Scan REsults still not available for examination.**Solved**
« on: February 14, 2006, 11:08:45 PM »
Hello, just joined the Avast crowd.

I've used AVG for about 2yrs and was just looking for another AV. Loved AVG but I guess I was just bored.

Anyway Avast is not giving me any problems but I can't ever seem to get the STatistics from my past scans. I've done 1 full scan last night 3AM and this morning it was still running because I had to make a choice on a Phishing Email it found (that was unexpected).

All the areas in the PRogram Menu (Status Information, Last Scan Results, View Scan REports) are unselectable. I've seen one other post about this but it didn't really tell me what was up.

So how do I find my past scan results?

Also I thought you could make all the choices on Virus Vault or Deletion after the full scan was over???

I hope this isn't stuff that is only available in the Pro version although eventually I may upgrade to it.

I'm running Avast 4.6 Home, XP HOme SP2, Kerio Personal Firewall.

Thanks for any help you can offer!!!!   ;D
« Last Edit: February 16, 2006, 10:48:54 PM by Linuxrevolt »

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: WHere are my Scan STats and REsults, REports
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 11:50:46 PM »
Right click the icon - select programme settings - select report file -  place a tick in report file - select the reports you need.  And welcome, it may take you a while to find your way around the programme, but it is very customisable 

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 01:16:42 AM »
Anyway Avast is not giving me any problems but I can't ever seem to get the STatistics from my past scans. I've done 1 full scan last night 3AM and this morning it was still running because I had to make a choice on a Phishing Email it found (that was unexpected).

All the areas in the PRogram Menu (Status Information, Last Scan Results, View Scan REports) are unselectable. I've seen one other post about this but it didn't really tell me what was up.

So how do I find my past scan results?

Also I thought you could make all the choices on Virus Vault or Deletion after the full scan was over???

I hope this isn't stuff that is only available in the Pro version although eventually I may upgrade to it.
Unfortunately this is only available to the Pro version, If you have just completed a scan and the Simple User Interface is open, you can access the stats for that scan. However, once closed those stats are not available (I'm not even sure if they are kept but not available).

The Pro version does give a more flexible, functionality and configurable interface, the Enhanced User Interface.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Linuxrevolt

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 04:07:21 AM »
I wish they had mad past scans available for viewing on the home edition. Maybe I'll download the Pro Demo and see if its worth the money. I just hate subscriptions.

Can I just install the Pro version over the top of this?

Actually I just went ahead and did an uninstall and installed the Pro Demo. I'll play around with that for 2 months and see what I think about it.

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 04:40:50 AM by Linuxrevolt »

Offline chocholo

• Poster
  • BSC, GSC, MCP
    • Avast
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 08:37:16 AM »
I wish they had mad past scans available for viewing on the home edition. Maybe I'll download the Pro Demo and see if its worth the money. I just hate subscriptions.

Can I just install the Pro version over the top of this?

Actually I just went ahead and did an uninstall and installed the Pro Demo. I'll play around with that for 2 months and see what I think about it.

Thanks
Note that trial period of avas! Professional will be probably shortened to only six days because of previously installed ALWIL Software product.
In that case send me PM or e-mail (address is in my profile).

Linuxrevolt

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006, 04:14:20 PM »
Chocholo

Six Days won't mean much.  I can figure out if I like it sooner than that. I still can't get reports of my overnight scans.

I"ve scheduled scans for 3am and it scanned but its not saving the reports. Its a must that I see what the program is doing to my computer overnight.

It ran a scan from the scheduler but I cannot check any past results. I've got Create Report file checked and didn't change any of the default settings.

Any clue why I"m not getting reports saved?

I"m looking in the Program Files/Avast/Data/Reports and I don't see the log from last night. Its listed in the User interface but its not clickable and no choices in the Drop Down Menu also.

Any help on getting this working will be great. Thanks!!

Linuxrevolt

Re: Scan REsults still not available for examination.
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2006, 03:05:33 AM »
I think I'm starting to get the hang of some of the settings.

Finally getting reports by setting TASKs instead of using Scheduler. I was setting my Daily or Weeklys in the Scheduler but Tasks is working really well. Found a fake virus to run on  my system (eicar.com) and got to interact with Avast a little more. Had to turn off Web Shield just to download the Test Virus File.

Thanks for the tips!!!  ;D

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2006, 09:57:31 AM »
Are you saying that using the "Scheduler" folder to schedule a task (which has a report file creation enabled) you don't get any report file created, but if you schedule the same task from the "Tasks" folder (Scheduling page), you get the report?

Linuxrevolt

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2006, 08:36:38 PM »
Are you saying that using the "Scheduler" folder to schedule a task (which has a report file creation enabled) you don't get any report file created, but if you schedule the same task from the "Tasks" folder (Scheduling page), you get the report?

Yes, that is what I'm saying. I'll play around with it some more. I noticed that in the Task options the Scheduler opens when you want to schedule the task anyway. So I guess they interact to some degree.

What is the difference in the Two? Scheduler / Tasks.

By the way I started this thread when I was still using the Free Home Edition. I just don't think I was able to interact with the Scheduler results. Now that I switched over to the PRo version I can see a scan that I ran with the Scheduler.

I still wondering why you need both of these in the program. I find I have more options (including Scheduling) in just the Tasks part of the program.

Thanks!!!

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2006, 05:47:24 PM »

Well, the difference between Scheduler and Tasks is big - but the there shouldn't be any difference between scheduling a task from the Scheduler folder, or by using the Scheduling page of the Task Properties. I.e. both methods should be equivalent.

Linuxrevolt

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2006, 06:08:01 PM »

Well, the difference between Scheduler and Tasks is big - but the there shouldn't be any difference between scheduling a task from the Scheduler folder, or by using the Scheduling page of the Task Properties. I.e. both methods should be equivalent.

The Tasks and Scheduler seem to work together. Because when I create a task one of the options is Scheduler. Im just not sure why they both exist if you get almost the same results making a Task or a Scheduler.

You can use Scheduler with a Task or create a Task with a Schedule.
 I've mainly been playing around with Tasks to see what I can do. I'm still just poking around this software but I like it so far. It will be worth the subscription.

Thanks for your input!!

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Scan REsults still not available for examination.**Solved**
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2006, 12:26:17 PM »
Well, from the Scheduler folder you can schedule non-standard "tasks" that are not present in the Task folder (such as "Program update" or "VPS update").
On the other hand, when you are creating/editting a task, it seems natural that you're able to schedule it right there, from the same place - that's why both these ways exist.

Linuxrevolt

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2006, 05:55:56 PM »
Igor,

I thought the Program updated itself automatically in Update (Basic). In fact I have it set to.

But I am finding having both of them (Tasks , Scheduler) useful.

I'm still waiting on a reply on this other thread. Maybe you can help me out with an answer.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=19405.0

Thanks

mauserme

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2006, 07:15:42 PM »
I thought the Program updated itself automatically in Update (Basic). In fact I have it set to.
Linuxrevolt,

If you set avast! to automatically update it will check for updates when you boot your computer and at regular intervals thereafter.  You can adjust the interval in the settings (I think it defaults to every 4 hours).

The option to create a task exists so you can define a set of actions that avast! does not have in its default options.  The scheduler lets you define when and how often a pre-defined or user created task will run.

For example, if you want avast! to update the virus signatures at exactly 6 PM every day regardless of when you turn your machine on, you can go to the scheduler and tell avast! to launch the VPS Updater at 6 PM daily.  Since updating is a predefined action in avast! you do not need to create this task first.

On the other hand, if you want avast! to scan particular folders after the 6 PM update, you would define what areas to scan, the type of scan (quick/standard/thourough) etc as a new task and then shedule the task to run daily a few minutes after the scheduled 6 PM update.  You could also run that task on demand by clicking on it.

I noticed that in the Task options the Scheduler opens when you want to schedule the task anyway. So I guess they interact to some degree.

Like many things in Windows you can accomlish the same thing several ways, and so it is with the scheduler.

Linuxrevolt

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2006, 05:04:03 AM »
Thanks to both of you for helping me understanding some of the finer points of this software. I think I'm sold on getting a subscription but I'll wait till the trial is over.

Thanks again!!!!   ;D