Author Topic: First installation issues  (Read 7425 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
First installation issues
« on: December 16, 2016, 06:59:29 PM »
Quite some "issues" or "annoyances" on installation.

1. Downloaded setup got a "corrupt" one. When using the online installation all that I've got was Zen panel.
2. When trying to install anything else, a reboot was required.
3. After reboot, I cannot install AVG in a custom folder (by the way, the "custom installation" is tricky hidden) as the folder is not empty... Strange, I think I was creating a new folder... Then I realized that Zen was in that folder and I need a subfolder (Antivirus). No problem, but tricky.
4. All the time I got installation errors. Sometimes it offers to save the logs, others not.
5. All uninstallations this stupid Windows Defender come up again  >:(
6. The online installation is not downloading the latest virus database  :-X
7. I really prefer the color differences off buttons on/off in AVG interface rather than in Avast legacy GUI: red/green effects.
8. I really got lost in Zen interface... I think everything will be installed and suddenly, it's not true.
9. Virus database update got invalid archive signature error... What is going on?
10. Unexpected errors on opening TuneUp.
11. Buttons are not working (scanning, fix now, fix computer performance...).
12. After clicking everything I could, I got all green lights but the state is still in red (picture 3).
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 07:03:33 PM by Lisandro »
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: First installation issues
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 09:05:01 PM »
It stays scanning forever...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 10:40:29 PM »
Not compatible with Windows Insider Preview 14965.
Downloads corrupted are the first symptom (as reported a lot of time here in forums).
It's a known issue.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 11:14:04 PM »
After all the hassle with win10 insider builds in the past with Avast and many other 3rd party AVs. I would have thought trying to install a beta version of a merged Avast & AVG on a win10 insider build was going to be a risk.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 12:27:46 AM »
After all we know what is going on behind the scenes: MS pushing Windows Defender beyond its protection and security capacities to all Windows 10 users  :(

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2016, 12:42:33 AM »
Yes, the average isn't going to understand the issues and I guess they don't interpret insider preview as being Beta. If they aren't prepared for the wrinkles of beta testing, especially on what is your OS, they shouldn't be running it.

We see experienced people getting very frustrated and blaming their AV when it is most likely to be the insider preview blocking it and enabling windows defender.

One thing for sure I would only ever run one beta on a system, to prevent any interaction between the two. It is just too dam hard to determine what is at fault.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline lukas.munduch

• Avast team
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2016, 07:58:05 AM »

1. Downloaded setup got a "corrupt" one. When using the online installation all that I've got was Zen panel.
3. After reboot, I cannot install AVG in a custom folder (by the way, the "custom installation" is tricky hidden) as the folder is not empty... Strange, I think I was creating a new folder... Then I realized that Zen was in that folder and I need a subfolder (Antivirus). No problem, but tricky.
4. All the time I got installation errors. Sometimes it offers to save the logs, others not.
7. I really prefer the color differences off buttons on/off in AVG interface rather than in Avast legacy GUI: red/green effects.
8. I really got lost in Zen interface... I think everything will be installed and suddenly, it's not true.
9. Virus database update got invalid archive signature error... What is going on?
12. After clicking everything I could, I got all green lights but the state is still in red (picture 3).

Hi Lisandro,

Thank you very much for your report. I would like to investigate your problems with installations. Can you please attach here logs from these folders?

c:\ProgramData\Avg\Persistent Data\Antivirus\Logs\
c:\Users\<your account name>\AppData\Local\AvgSetupLog\

Can you please tell me if it was clean installation or if some antivirus was already installed on that machine. Thank you again.

Lukas

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2016, 08:10:26 AM »

Hi Lisandro,

Thank you very much for your report. I would like to investigate your problems with installations. Can you please attach here logs from these folders?

c:\ProgramData\Avg\Persistent Data\Antivirus\Logs\
c:\Users\<your account name>\AppData\Local\AvgSetupLog\

Can you please tell me if it was clean installation or if some antivirus was already installed on that machine. Thank you again.

Lukas

Not compatible with Windows Insider Preview 14965.
Downloads corrupted are the first symptom (as reported a lot of time here in forums).
It's a known issue.

I think this is the primary issue. Insider build.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2016, 03:15:23 PM »
@ Lisandro,You reported the problem fixed for Avast with the latest Windows 10 insider preview build.
Does that also hold true for the AVG beta ???
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2016, 12:07:54 AM »
@ Lisandro,You reported the problem fixed for Avast with the latest Windows 10 insider preview build.
Does that also hold true for the AVG beta ???
Well, I've tested with old Insider Preview (latest from slow channel). Now with the real latest (fast ring), Avast is working.
I've thought did not test AVG with the latest Windows, but as RejZor is quoting me, seems I have tested in a brief period.