Author Topic: Battery saver excessive data usage  (Read 14883 times)

REDACTED

Battery saver excessive data usage
« on: December 16, 2016, 11:10:49 PM »
I installed battery saver a few days ago and today I have run out of mobile data.
Android says battery saver has used over 300 Mates.
This is insane and I have been forced to remove the app.

REDACTED

Re: Battery saver excessive data usage
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 11:08:50 PM »
GUID
5e9ad283-8bcf-48e8-95fc-7a5726a3bf8d

Again like many others my data usage has run out  with 1.65GB  over the last seven days used by this app and 3.6GB over the 8 WEEKS.  This has cost me  I am appalled that this has happened.  I will be writing to (Watchdog BBC TV)  consumer program in the UK. 

DISGUSTED

bobbyfrombearsden

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 11:14:40 PM »
And why did you not asked for assistance/help ?

Watchdog is not gonna do anything about it as you are responsible for what you install/use or not.
No-one has forced you to install/remove it.
It is all your free choice.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 12:02:47 AM »
I was going to install the avast battery saver app until I read the list of permissions required, I didn't see anything relating to potential data usage though.

I wouldn't install any other app that required so many permissions and access to my phone, what I couldn't believe was why would a simple battery saver require all of this access/permissions.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 03:51:25 AM »
This seems to be a serious bug with multiple reports and threads on the topic. My son's phone just spiked our data usage. ATT sent out an alert that caught the issue. Investigation showed it was the Avast Battery Saver. It ate up about 700MB while the phone was in Airplane mode. That seems pretty remarkable. The app has been uninstalled until we hear about a proper bug fix.