Author Topic: fonts won't stay installed on reboot  (Read 7273 times)

Foreverforward67

fonts won't stay installed on reboot
« on: February 16, 2006, 04:32:51 PM »
I recently switched to Avast home edition 4.x and since installation, my fonts have disappeared.  I can go to the font file in the control panel and reinstall them, they are all listed in the "available for installation" folder.  They will not copy to the font folder and they will not stay active after rebooting.  Suggestions?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: fonts won't stay installed on reboot
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 04:45:43 PM »
I can hardly believe this may have anything to do with avast!.
If I remember correctly, there was a checkbox somewhere in the font installation dialog, something like "Copy files to fonts folder", or similar. Didn't you uncheck it by coincidence?

Foreverforward67

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 04:58:20 PM »
I have tried with the box checked...I have tried with the box unchecked (this is starting to sound like Seuss, in a box, with a fox)  I don't believe it is the fault of Avast, just a glitch of some sort.  It happened when I uninstalled the old Anti-virus & installed Avast.  Purely coincidental issue, but issue still the same.

CharleyO

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 07:31:31 PM »

Welcome to the forums, Foreverforward67!    :)

Out of curiousity, what anti-virus did you use before installing avast and how did you remove the old av if you had one?

Foreverforward67

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 11:09:14 PM »
It was EZArmor™ antivirus, I had downloaded it from Frontier on-line, my service provider.  However, Avast finds things that the others tend to miss.  So I went with Avast.

Foreverforward67

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006, 11:11:19 PM »
Also, I uninstalled the old antivirus through control panel, add / remove programs. (sry, didn't read the whole post before I answered)

CharleyO

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 12:02:05 AM »

I am sorry ... I also forgot to ask what OS you are using. And, there are some malware that can cause this type of problem. What anti adware/spyware/malware programs do you use if any? If you have none, then I suggest that you download, install, update, and the run these programs one after the other. All are free versions.

Ad-Aware  -  http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

Spybot-Search & Destroy  -  http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html

and if you are using any version of 2000 or XP ......

ewido  -  http://www.ewido.net/en/download/

After we are sure you have no malware that is effecting your problem and if this does not cure your disappearing fonts problem, we can take a different approach.

Foreverforward67

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 01:55:59 PM »
I use both Ad-aware and spybot & have run them both in regular and safe-mode.  My windows version is ME.

CharleyO

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2006, 01:07:00 AM »

If you did not do as below when you tried this before, please try it this way.

First, let's try this ......

1.   Go to Control Panel.
Start button > Settings > Control Panel (or Open My Computer then Control Panel)

2.   Go to your Fonts folder. Open (Doubleclick) the Fonts folder.

3.   Click on EDIT and then on Install New Font.

4.   Find the directory with the font(s) you want to install.
Use the Folders: window and scroll until you find the FONTS folder. Double click the Fonts folder. The list of fonts should now appear in the upper window. If they do not, then see my last paragraph below.

5.   Select all the fonts you want to install. You can do multiple selects by holding down the SHIFT key while clicking on the various fonts. Be sure the checkbox for "Copy fonts to Fonts folder" is checked. I know this sounds wrong but try anyway.

6.   Click OK. This should complete your font installation.

If this does not work, then you should be able to extract them from the ME installation cd and re-install them from there. The steps above should be basically the same except that instead of using the Folders: window, use the Drives: window and select the drive (D, F, etc) you have the ME cd in.

Foreverforward67

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2006, 02:05:20 AM »
Thanks, I'll try from the CD.
 I have reinstalled the fonts from the font folder, oh ....a hundred times it seems.  They refuse to copy to the font folder itself.  Example...I open the font folder from Control panel.  It shows 5 fonts (the same five everytime), Then I go..file, install new font, I double click the font folder in the window, all of the fonts that are supposed to be installed show up, I click select all (I have even tried one at a time) & then ok (or install, I can't remember what it says), I also make sure the box to copy is checked & I have tried it with the box unchecked.  It installs all the fonts, never copies them to the folder & life is good till the next reboot!  I'll let you know how it goes with the CD.  This has become one of those annoying little, OMG I have to figure this out, things.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2006, 12:07:46 AM »
A quick thought, have you got MS Tweakuixp if not download it and run it, go to repair and repair font folder

Get it here http://www.snapfiles.com/get/tweakuixp.html

Foreverforward67

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2006, 01:21:03 AM »
Tweakuixp is for Windows XP and I have Windows ME.  However, I did download Tweak (it's listed for my o/s) and will see if that can be of any assistance.
Thanks!

Foreverforward67

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2006, 04:17:00 PM »
Update...I tried installing from the CD, no luck. Same issues.  I also tried to drag & drop to the font folder.  The font folder must be coated with Teflon, nothing sticks!

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2006, 06:38:41 PM »
Here is the tweakui for 98 and me http://www.annoyances.org/downloads/ftp/tweakui.zip