Author Topic: Avast Business Free  (Read 9741 times)

REDACTED

Avast Business Free
« on: December 21, 2016, 09:09:15 AM »
So I have seen a lot of posts about Avast being offered for free for small businesses.
But is it Free for 30 days, or is it Free ... until further notice? If you don't upgrade after 30 days, what exactly will happen?

Just wondering about that since even in the Spiceworks thread, it wasn't clear. Apparently there used to be a link that directly set your account as Free SMB account.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Avast Business Free
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 09:53:18 AM »

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 09:57:48 AM »
https://www.avast.com/lp-afb-spiceworks

I did try that one before!

I get:
Are you sure that you have the right address?
Sorry, we can’t find the page you referenced.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 10:03:44 AM »
Yes, I have the correct address and it is working fine for me.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 01:18:18 PM »
Hi guys, that's an old promo-link. The free version is history.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 01:22:18 PM »
Hi guys, that's an old promo-link. The free version is history.

I see. So it's not something available for SMBs anymore?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 01:24:13 PM »
Sure, but not for free anymore.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2016, 01:52:39 PM »
Sure, but not for free anymore.

Ok, so basically - when the trial runs out you get no free license, you either need a license or it basically stops being useful?

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2016, 04:20:40 AM »
Correct Free licenses are no longer being issued. After 30 days you will need to purchase licenses for the clients you deploy
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2016, 04:53:14 AM »
I just tested something.

Clicked on "Sign up now" while I was logged in here (aka avast account)
It took me to https://business.avast.com/ where I (ofcourse) automatically logged in.
I too got the "Are you sure that you have the right address? Sorry, we can’t find the page you referenced." message.
But I was able to continue without a problem and after clicking "Add device", I was able to download the client installer.
Both the online as well as the offline version.

It seems that if you signed up before avast withdraw the free version, you still can use it.

If I am not logged in and click on the sign-up link I am taken to a form where I can create a account. (see attachment)
I haven't created a fake account to see what happens, but it should give you the option to use AFB for free as you get there through the page where it clearly says
Avast for Business is free to use for as long as you want and for an unlimited number of admins and devices
If not, avast is for sure violating the Dutch laws (and likely laws in other countries as well).
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 05:00:58 AM by Eddy »

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2017, 02:46:16 PM »
Yes, if you had an existing free account it is still free, all new accounts are trial/paid only.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2017, 11:19:18 PM »
Yes, if you had an existing free account it is still free, all new accounts are trial/paid only.
Confirmed.

Offline mche

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2017, 07:36:21 AM »
I was unaware until this moment that Avast Business Free was no longer an option for new subscribers. I am "grandfathered" in since I started using it quite a while ago, just after it was first released. I do hope Avast intends to continue to allow previously subscribed users to continue free of charge. I assume I and many other early adopters were doing Avast an inportant (unpaid) service by "live-testing" their product.. In hindsight, it was a good move by Avast to get early users - who certainly had no reason to complain about the price - and who were less aggravated about reporting issues or other feedback.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2017, 02:34:53 AM »
As far as I know, if you had the free access when it first started, you can continue to add free licenses.  I don't have another machine that I need to add at the moment, but last time I tried it was still free.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum