Author Topic: Cannot delete HTML:RedirBA-inf [Trj] from Virus Chest  (Read 4666 times)

REDACTED

Cannot delete HTML:RedirBA-inf [Trj] from Virus Chest
« on: December 22, 2016, 05:25:25 PM »
Whenever (and only when) I use Outlook v.15 on my Mac, I get neverending infection alerts for this virus.  When I got to the virus chest, it has, literally, thousands, of instances of this, but I can't delete them because I get an error that says that it cannot find the chest item.

Also, the file path given for the virus in the infection alerts does not exist - I've tried every which way to find it, and it simply isn't where the file path says it is.

Any ideas?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Cannot delete HTML:RedirBA-inf [Trj] from Virus Chest
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 05:27:25 PM »
Also, the file path given for the virus in the infection alerts does not exist
And the file path given is?

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 05:31:55 PM »
Also, the file path given for the virus in the infection alerts does not exist
And the file path given is?

/Users/XXXXXXX/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/Outlook/Outlook 15 Profiles/Main Profile/Data/tmp/Messages$66$42BA3426-5F2A-481C-B8AE-F363EC27BD9E.olk15Message.tmp

The Avast error message when I try to delete also says "No such file or directory"

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 05:38:54 PM »
Dont know if this is any help
https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Clear-the-cache-in-Outlook-2016-for-Mac-6f230dfa-7f12-4606-bb1a-55ee19087033

Anyway you have to wait for one of the Mac experts to arrive   ;)

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 06:45:28 PM »
Dont know if this is any help
https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Clear-the-cache-in-Outlook-2016-for-Mac-6f230dfa-7f12-4606-bb1a-55ee19087033

Anyway you have to wait for one of the Mac experts to arrive   ;)

That temporarily clears the alerts, but they eventually come back.  Also still have the problem with not being able to delete the items from the virus chest.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 07:39:49 PM »
That temporarily clears the alerts, but they eventually come back.
You may need to access your mail account from webmail and delete the mail that is the problem ... if you know which one

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2016, 12:53:01 AM »
Outlook is pulling from your email server some email that has an infected attachment.

Unfortunately clearing the local cache of outlook is not the permanent solution as you will simply re-download the email.

Couple of options here. First you can disable the avast real-time shields then let outlook download the messages, find the message with he bad attachment and permanently delete it (remove also from the deleted items folder). Second as Pondus describes, you can use a webmail type access to find and delete the message if you have that type of access.

"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2016, 12:31:08 PM »
Outlook is pulling from your email server some email that has an infected attachment.

Unfortunately clearing the local cache of outlook is not the permanent solution as you will simply re-download the email.

Couple of options here. First you can disable the avast real-time shields then let outlook download the messages, find the message with he bad attachment and permanently delete it (remove also from the deleted items folder). Second as Pondus describes, you can use a webmail type access to find and delete the message if you have that type of access.

I don't know the name of the infected email itself so I don't know how to search for it in webmail.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2016, 12:38:59 PM »
A good start will be deleting all mails that you don't want to keep.

Next look for mails with a (suspicious) link in them and delete them.

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2016, 05:30:53 PM »
A good start will be deleting all mails that you don't want to keep.

Next look for mails with a (suspicious) link in them and delete them.

Thanks but unfortunately not practical for me.  I have over 30k emails from the past year and I cannot review every single one or do a batch delete.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2016, 11:57:18 PM »
Ok lets try another route. I would exclude that path from the file shield (Avast GUI > Preferences > Shields then click settings under file system shield and add it there).

That will stop the large reports of infection.

For clearing the infected mail, outlook can sort the view to show emails with attachments, then look for any suspicious ones. That should make it easier to find (if its an attachment). If its a link or embedded HTML code thats harder to find, ideally your email server's scanner would have eliminated this for you
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay