Author Topic: Iomega Automatic Backup Pro and Avast Problem  (Read 5809 times)

pringles

Iomega Automatic Backup Pro and Avast Problem
« on: February 20, 2006, 02:22:34 PM »
Hi,

I recently installed Avast on to my PC, replacing Norton Anti Virus.

Since then I haven't been able to backup my PC using my Iomega REV Drive as it keeps stopping with the following error:

"failed to backup, error code: Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service. (0x00529D73, 0x0052768C, 0x20005900, 0x20005900)"

If I stop the On Access Protection the backup works everytime, however with it turned on the backup fails everytime.

Please help!

Mike

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Iomega Automatic Backup Pro and Avast Problem
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 03:54:27 PM »
NAV, spit, harder to get rid of than a virus. Check out this, which is a program removal tool, which can remove the remnants of a number of different Norton Programs:
Removing your Norton program using SymNRT

Run that and reboot and see if that resolves things, you may need to uninstall avast, boor and reinstall avast to ensure a good install of avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

pringles

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 05:47:45 PM »
Ran that and rebooted and still same problem,
so I uninstalled Avast,
then I rebooted,
reinstalled Avast and made sure  it's update and
still no joy - still get blasted insufficent system resources error message! - AGHH!!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 06:41:50 PM »
What would help is some info on your system, OS, RAM, Processor, etc. ?

It may be correct that you are low on system resources for a memory and processor intensive process. By disabling avast you released sufficient resources to be able to complete the tasks. So it may have nothing directly to do with avast.

You might want to review the programs you have running in the background prior to doing a backup.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 09:12:27 PM »
As I discovered when I installed a disk imaging solution, we can run into some resource issues even on a WinXP system.

The solution for me was the following, which involves changing a registry setting.

(At this point must come the usual caution about the utmost care being required in making registry changes - that errors can damage your system - you should have a backup and only proceed if you are comfortable with making registry changes.  End of caution).

- Run "regedit" command;
- Find the registry key; HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters
- Within that key:
- Increase the IRPStackSize value or create it and set to 18, if it does not exist.

After making the change, for it to be effective a system restart should be done.

(As I recall the default setting for IRPStackSize is 12).

pringles

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 03:17:29 PM »
OK, tried the registry hack and still no go!

Task manager doesn't show anything taking up a huge amount of CPU (over 5%), however it doesn't matter what I have running as I've shut down everything except Avast, system processes and Iomega Automatic Backup Pro and it still errors with the message about insufficent resources straight away.

If I then stop Avast it works.

My spec is:

PIII 600
512Mb RAM
80 Gb HDD
Windows XP Pro SP 2

Really pulling my hair out now!

CharleyO

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 06:26:04 PM »

Was there not a specific error number?    ???

If possible, perhaps a screen shot of the actual error window would help.