Author Topic: My curent avast! "2017" concerns...  (Read 10199 times)

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: My curent avast! "2017" concerns...
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2016, 04:59:18 PM »
Personally I feel RejZoR is right on point. He brought up some legitimate points which the avast! team should respond to.
That said what happened to the most important part...communication?
We comment. avast! is silent. Deafening silent.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline Patrick2

• Poster
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2016, 05:19:38 PM »
When the new Avast Beta came out, I Tried it on my Windows 10 Pro 64bit Desktop, got 2 BSODS, and corrupted user profile, my fault for trying it without a working external drive and image backup at the time, got one now though that works.    Never seen the Avast Team acknowledge the issue though, For the Record since clean Windows 10 Install, and stable Avast build installed--haven't had one BSOD for Memory Management. 

Though did like the new Avast Gui, with darker background colors

I choose Avast for my protection over Windows Defender for the following reasons, I feel Avast has better protection qualities, doesn't take 3-5 hours or longer to do a full scan if all drives connected, despite Real life tech friends comments on dude you don't need a 3rd party Antivirus these days, Windows Defender is adequate protection for home use, but in the end I still stick with Avast, just wish was communication like in the past with Avast, or at least should've completed Avast beta more before introducing AVG Beta in my opinion

In Conclusion looks forward to continuation of Avast beta, and may wait til final release on this system lol

Windows 10 Pro 64bit 1909 18363.476, Intel I7 7700 Nvidia Geforce 1050 16gb DDR4, WD 250GBSSD, 1tb Storage, Avast Free 19.8.2393
HP Omen Laptop Intel I7 7700HQ, 8gb Of Ram Windows 10 Home x64 1909 18363.476 128GB SSD, 1tb Storage, Avast Free 19.8.2393

Offline Secondmineboy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2016, 05:54:46 PM »
Features that i would like to see:

-Better PUP Detection
-Anti-Ransomware
-Anti-Exploit
-Better Anti-Phishing
-Much better DeepScreen (Remove the time gap it can be bypassed by just making the malware launching after 20 seconds)
-Improved and faster CyberCapture
-All Protection should work offline too
Windows 10 1909, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, 500 GB 5400 RPM HDD, 1366 by 768 LCD Screen, Intel Core i3 5010U Dual Core, Intel HD Graphics 5500
HUAWEI P30 Pro. Android 10

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2016, 07:05:45 PM »
Features that i would like to see:

-Better PUP Detection
-Anti-Ransomware
-Anti-Exploit
-Better Anti-Phishing
-Much better DeepScreen (Remove the time gap it can be bypassed by just making the malware launching after 20 seconds)
-Improved and faster CyberCapture
-All Protection should work offline too

+1.

Exploit and ransomware protection features are lacking in Avast.

CyberCapture needs to work with more vectors.

The IDP from AVG is performing well and I'll be interested to see how well it performs for Avast.

Have hardened mode (aggressive) enabled by default. Afaik Hardened mode only targets exe files atm... maybe that could target other file types.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline TrueIndian

• Poster
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2016, 05:15:11 PM »
The real question here is whether they are going to apply the entire IDP into avast! which will be really good or only the technology will be integrated to cybercapture which i think shouldn't be done because cyber capture hasn't been too impressive anyway.  :)

Offline A. User

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2016, 05:19:49 PM »
The real question here is whether they are going to apply the entire IDP into avast! which will be really good or only the technology will be integrated to cybercapture which i think shouldn't be done because cyber capture hasn't been too impressive anyway.  :)
CyberCapture is a very promising thing. It is based on the idea of a lockdown of the system with only allowing known not-malicious programs to run. I would say that this is an enterprise level security (with some exceptions which i won't mention). There is no denial that IDM will be implemented both locally and in the cloud as part of CyberCapture. Different parts maybe, but IDM is needed in both places. For example exploits cannot be detected only through whitelisting (CyberCapture).