Author Topic: Scanning of external media  (Read 2317 times)

asht

Scanning of external media
« on: February 20, 2006, 03:11:55 PM »
Hi

First of all I'm totally thrilled that I've finally found a software that supports 64bit architecture and it's FREE!! :P

But I've one little question - how do I set Avast 4.6 Home Edition to scan my external hard drive and flash drives for example when they're connected. Would I select "Scan selected folders" for any external medias?

Thanks and would appreciate help anyone can provide.

Cheers

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Scanning of external media
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 04:07:27 PM »
Sorry I can't say for sure I don't have any external drives.
I would have thought that Local Disks would have done it as those external flash drives or HDDs are immediately recognised when connected as installed storage drives for all intents and purposes.

I guess there is one way to test that, try a scan of local disks and see if it does, if not I guess yo will have to try Folder Selection (and just select the drive letter) or removable media (which I wouldn't have thought correct).

Just don't select both local drives and folder options or you could duplicate the scan if external drives are included in the local disks scan.

If you have an eicar test file you could slip that into one of the external drives and see if it is picked during the scan.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: Scanning of external media
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 09:38:53 PM »
I notice that a "mouseover" of the hard disk icon shows that avast will scan all non-removable hard drives. 

I have several external drives which I have set up as "non-removable" (ie you should stop them via the systray icon before disconnecting them) and avast scans those just as it does my internal drives.   

I do not have anything that is non-removable to hand to test with, but I suspect that you would need to explicitly request a scan of those via the folder option.   
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 09:53:15 PM by alanrf »