Author Topic: Questions on Linux OS  (Read 15839 times)

sf2000

Questions on Linux OS
« on: February 20, 2006, 06:32:30 PM »
Hi

I have a couple of questions but I can't seem to find the right answers on the web. Maybe you guys can help. OK, I am trying out Ubuntu (based on Debian) but I am not totally comfortable with it. In Windows, you can install a firewall like ZoneAlarm or Kerio to assure yourself (to some extent) that only permitted programs can access the internet and also protect you from threats coming to your computer.

Now my question is (finally), Ubuntu like many other Linux distributions is made by programmers from all over the world, isn't it possible for one of the programmers to implement code that would act as a backdoor in the Linux OS? Also, so many freely available packages are available for Linux, how can you be sure that a particular package wouldn't have any malicious code? (Viruses and trojans can be detected by a virus scanner but what about the actual code?) You can probably have the same argument for Windows...

Is there a ZoneAlarm-like firewall for Linux (or Ubuntu) so that you can keep track of programs that access the internet? I know there is one called Firestarter but it does not display any messages when a program tries to access the internet.

I hope I am not being too paranoid. In fact, I like Ubuntu more than Windows because you can customise it a lot. But if Linux does have a firewall like ZoneAlarm then I would definitely move to Linux for good  ;D.

Kind Regards
sf2000

Offline xistenz

• Poster
Re: Questions on Linux OS
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 07:52:20 PM »
Hi sf2000,

Most Linux distros will have some option of enabling a firewall. Most linux firewalls run in a similar way to the windows firewall - only blocking external attacks.

isn't it possible for one of the programmers to implement code that would act as a backdoor in the Linux OS?

Ubuntu is the most popular distro at Distrowatch, they will not risk the bad publicity if a backdoor is found in their OS.

Also, so many freely available packages are available for Linux, how can you be sure that a particular package wouldn't have any malicious code?

The same way that you would in windows - do some research on a program; see what other people say about it.
And since it is opensource, any curious programmer can take a look at the code and blow the whistle if he/she finds some malicious code. By my reasoning, bad programs won't last long in the linux world.

I like Ubuntu more than Windows because you can customise it a lot
Here is something that may help you. Its called Automatix. It is meant to help the new ubuntu user customize Breezy Badger (5.10)

But if Linux does have a firewall like ZoneAlarm then I would definitely move to Linux for good

If you do find what you are looking for, please let us know  ;)

Cheers

sf2000

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 08:55:29 PM »
Hi xistenz

Thanks for your reply. I have installed the 64bit version of Ubuntu and found out later that Automatix is not supported. 

Ubuntu is the most popular distro at Distrowatch, they will not risk the bad publicity if a backdoor is found in their OS.

The same way that you would in windows - do some research on a program; see what other people say about it.
And since it is opensource, any curious programmer can take a look at the code and blow the whistle if he/she finds some malicious code. By my reasoning, bad programs won't last long in the linux world.

I hope you're right.

sf2000

justin1278

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 10:12:15 PM »
Hi,

I would like to try this version of Linux on my Windows machine but I can't partition my drive using Windows.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 11:00:12 PM by Justin1278 »

sf2000

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 11:10:23 PM »
Hi,

I would like to try this version of Linux on my Windows machine but I can't partition my drive using Windows.

Hi Justin1278, I don't know about partitioning a drive which has windows already on it but I think you can use the Ubuntu Live to try out Ubuntu without installing anything. I downloaded the DVD distribution of Ubuntu and it gave me an option to either try out the OS without installing anything or install the OS on a HDD. Hope this helps.

sf2000

justin1278

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006, 11:13:40 PM »
Hi,

I have downloaded the program. What do I do now? With what program do I open it with?

sf2000

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2006, 11:25:19 PM »
Hi,

If it is an ISO file, you can burn it on a CD using your CD writing software.

sf2000

timcan

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2006, 11:31:47 PM »
Justin, if you downloaded the live distro,you need to burn it to a cd,then insert into your cd drive and reboot.also your system boot order may have to be changed,but try it first.

justin1278

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2006, 12:45:40 AM »
Hi,

I put the CD in and it still did not boot from the CD. Also it is an ISO file.

timcan

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2006, 01:16:17 AM »
Hi,

I put the CD in and it still did not boot from the CD. Also it is an ISO file.
justin,you must change boot order in BIOS [urlhttp://www.cyberwalker.net/faqs/reinstall-reformat-winxp/enter-BIOS.html][/url]
this link should give info as to how -but WATCH what you are doing as this is not something you have to do everyday. Is this a live or install version?
hope this helps.

CharleyO

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2006, 01:20:36 AM »

I may be wrong but, in your computer BIOS if Boot from Harddrive is first boot device, then Windows would most likely boot up first and you would not get to Linux. As Timcan suggested, you most likely will have to set the BIOS to boot from the cd drive first.

But, I might be wrong.    :)

justin1278

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2006, 01:40:14 AM »
Hi,

I did set it up to boot from the CD drive and Windows still boots.

timcan

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2006, 02:07:21 AM »
Hi,

I did set it up to boot from the CD drive and Windows still boots.

Did you click save before exiting BIOS?

justin1278

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2006, 02:14:39 AM »
Hi,

Yes I did save the settings. Also I don't know if this is going to bios but when I start my PC I press F10 and it goes into settings and I just changed the boot order and saved it.

timcan

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2006, 02:16:00 AM »
Try F1