Author Topic: Questions on Linux OS  (Read 15873 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Questions on Linux OS
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2006, 09:11:55 PM »
After the 'Preparation' step of the installation, SUSE will bring you the 'Installation' step itself.
Select the tab 'Expert'
Then click 'Change...' and then 'Partitioning...'.
Choose 'Create Custom Partition Setup' and then click 'Next'.
Choose 'Custom Partitioning' and click 'Next'.
There you'll be able to Create, Edit, Delete and Resize partitions.

Maybe starting resizing the Windows one  8)

Again, it won't be easy to follow and help you further. You'll need time and reading to do so.
Probably you'll mess, be wrong, etc. I see no other way to learning  ;D
The best things in life are free.

justin1278

« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2006, 12:59:34 AM »
Hi,

Ok I have figured out the installation part, but I would like to know how I choose what OS I want to boot, I think it's F8 but when I tried it, it did not work.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2006, 02:24:23 AM »
How I choose what OS I want to boot, I think it's F8 but when I tried it, it did not work.
If you install LILO or the SUSE boot loaders into the MBR, Linux will boot and you'll have to change it's settings to load Windows.

If you them into the partition (not the first one), the system will boot what is set into the MBR. For instance, if you install Windows XP in the first one (C:) you can boot Windows and use the tool bootpart to boot any other operational system (http://www.winimage.com/bootpart.htm).

I really suggest the use of Bootpart.
Other good utility is GAG (http://gag.sourceforge.net).

justin1278

« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2006, 02:26:51 AM »
Hi,

Ok I have Linux running with Windows, but I can't seem to get the wireless internet configured so I have no internet configured for Linux any tips on configuring the internet on Suse Linux would be awesome. Also Suse is setup so when I boot the computer it comes to the Suse screen and asks what system I want to boot.

Thanks,

Justin1278
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 02:28:24 AM by Justin1278 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2006, 02:35:22 AM »
But I can't seem to get the wireless internet configured so I have no internet configured for Linux any tips on configuring the internet on Suse Linux would be awesome.
Run YAST2 (The SUSE Control Panel and check the hardware and software configuration). Also you should adjust the network/bluetooth settings.

justin1278

« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2006, 02:38:20 AM »
Hi,

I have tried this with no luck, I do not know what to set it to.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 02:50:05 AM by Tech »

justin1278

« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2006, 12:08:22 AM »
Hi,

Thank you Tech but I am still having problems with internet. I will keep trying I'll get it eventually.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 01:06:23 AM by Justin1278 »

fairdoes

« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2006, 05:26:08 PM »
Hi everyone,
 I've just joined because I'm looking to install the anti-virus on Ubuntu (Breezy Badger).

I use firestarter firewall and it's good. If your bios is set to boot from CD and Ubuntu doesn't boot the boot option is probably missing from the CD. Ubuntu will ship bootable CDs free from ubuntu.com/org (i think it's shipit.ubuntu.org).

If your existing partition is FAT32 it can resize it and set up dual boot with Windows.

I only use linux (ubuntu) online now, but keep windows offline for multitracking! (cubase haven't done a linux version yet).

P.S. How do I install the antivirus on Ubuntu?

Thanks!

Fast

« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2006, 09:42:17 PM »
Use the built in package manager to install Aegis. When prompted, add the repository of your choice and click install.
Easy.

sf2000

« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2006, 09:50:33 PM »
Hi everyone,
 I've just joined because I'm looking to install the anti-virus on Ubuntu (Breezy Badger).

I use firestarter firewall and it's good. If your bios is set to boot from CD and Ubuntu doesn't boot the boot option is probably missing from the CD. Ubuntu will ship bootable CDs free from ubuntu.com/org (i think it's shipit.ubuntu.org).

If your existing partition is FAT32 it can resize it and set up dual boot with Windows.

I only use linux (ubuntu) online now, but keep windows offline for multitracking! (cubase haven't done a linux version yet).

P.S. How do I install the antivirus on Ubuntu?

Thanks!

Welcome to the avast! forum fairdoes!

I am also trying out Ubuntu but I haven't installed an AV yet. You can try ClamAV through 'Synaptics'. I haven't tried avast! Linux Home Edition but if someone has instructions on how to install it on Ubuntu that would be great.

sf2000

Fast

« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2006, 04:04:22 PM »
Maybe your question is answerd on the Ubuntu-forum  ;)
Have a look here:
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/search.php?searchid=4307599

Fast

fairdoes

« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2006, 04:45:58 PM »
Thanks everyone!

I read the 'readme' (belatedly) and it doesn't need installing! It runs self-contained from the place I downloaded it! Nice work Avast! ! :)