Author Topic: New Avast UI Discussion  (Read 71649 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: New Avast UI Discussion
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2017, 07:11:33 PM »
You guys did an excellent work for AVG. Why not for AVAST??? :-\

That is what makes it so disappointing.
That said I just wonder who actually did it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lord_Ami

« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2017, 07:21:53 PM »
Come on people, it's not that bad (speed aside) :)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2017, 07:40:00 PM »
The speed is one of the main issues, as this is not about design but about usability.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2017, 07:44:12 PM »

I have been using avast for very close to thirteen years and in that time we have had some great UIs. Even the very old skinable ones of the 4.x era, avast 5, 6, 7 and 8 weren't bad at all. Looking at it from outside the beta build and monitoring the beta topics, this one looks to have taken a nose dive.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2017, 08:01:59 PM »

It is bad as a whole.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

REDACTED

« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2017, 09:42:24 PM »
It is bad as a whole.

Sorry to hear that.

In my opinion the interface has been on a downward spiral ever since it tried to mimic Windows 8. I used to recommend avast to people, but I'm not comfortable doing that any more.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2017, 09:57:18 PM »
It is bad as a whole.

Sorry to hear that.

In my opinion the interface has been on a downward spiral ever since it tried to mimic Windows 8. I used to recommend avast to people, but I'm not comfortable doing that any more.
You use and recommend an AV for it's ability to protect you.  :o
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2017, 10:28:37 PM »
It is bad as a whole.

Sorry to hear that.

I hated the windows 8.0/8.1 tiled/modern touch screen styled interface and kept away from windows 8.0/8.1. I couldn't stand the way everyone and their dog were mimicking the windows interface. But that didn't stop me continuing to use avast, I probably spend more time in the interface than your average user (grabbing images) to help out in the forums. But even then the time spent in the UI is minimal for most people not to use it or recommend it to others.

There are things I don't like about this beta version, but it won't stop me using avast just because of the interface.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2017, 09:28:13 AM »
It is bad as a whole.

Sorry to hear that.

You use and recommend an AV for it's ability to protect you.  :o

People are visual creatures and you know it. If something looks unprofessional, ugly or hard to navigate, they'll avoid it even if it otherwise provides 100% detection. I know this first hand from my real job. We help customers find the desired product, they love everything about it, but then comes the big one "But that color is so ugly." And yes, MANY customers decide not to buy a device which has a sole function of making your life easier just because it comes in a color they don't like. And we aren't talking a mobile phone or a car here. We are talking about devices which are hidden in a closet 99% of the time and when they are used, no one is around to see how ugly colored it is. No, I'm not talking about self pleasuring devices lol XD Imagine steam iron or a vacuum cleaner.

Yes, detection surely is a No.1 on the priority list, but visual presentation comes in on strong second place. The third would be price in my opinion from observations of people. Fourth, the tech support and community. Do you get the feeling how important visual presentation is now?

What saddens me is that avast! team didn't consider any of the small changes we recommended which basically just involved re-arranging what they already have and which could be done with minimal effort and time needed to execute it. They could push the GUI with this from rather poor to a pretty damn decent state. Just by shifting few things around! I just don't get it.

Look at Kaspersky Antivirus 2017 interface and then look at avast! 17 BETA interface. All I can say is I rest my case. I hate it comparing to competition like this, but my words don't seem to be understood by some. Speed, visually appealing design, logical layout, consistency of elements and interface itself. All the things Kaspersky has and this new avast!'s interface doesn't. And I could get past all the silly inconsistencies if they only split up on-access and on-demand task and settings in the main GUI. But they insist on keeping it crammed together. That part annoys me so much. First of all it's crammed, it's badly laid out, because it's so little space with everything crammed in there, they couldn't even add Behavior Shield to the list, that "Pi" button to show statistics, like I've said million times it's microscopic and impossible to tap with a finger on a touch device like Windows tablet. I just don't know and understand why they are heading in this direction.

Offline Be Secure

• Long Time Avast User(10years.....) Security Enthusiast.
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2017, 11:03:14 AM »
Avast should learn from Emsisoft internet security.How to make it(GUI) simple but powerful. :)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 11:10:01 AM by Be Secure »
PC- Windows10 EDU 64Bit,avast! free 21.1.2449,uBlock Origin,NVT_OSA,GoogleChrome(64bit),CCleaner,Unchecky,ZAM Free,Shadow Defender.
Security Enthusiast

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2017, 11:15:14 AM »
Yes, Emsisoft also has a pretty nice GUI. Looks nice and is super easy to navigate. I also like how clicking individual groups (like Protection) moves you to settings for it. So you have all the info on front end and when you click it, it takes you to settings of that component.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2017, 11:52:39 AM »
Avast should learn from Emsisoft internet security.How to make it (GUI) simple but powerful. :)

I don't believe the Emsisoft UI (image) would be widely liked. Aside from being absolutely massive (even bigger than avast), and does look  a bit like an old avast UI in a way. One thing for sure this avast UI still needs work and we can't be far off releasing it.

When all things considered, just compare the AVG UI (after all they are now part of avast) and it is chalk and cheese, couldn't be more different. One looks professionally put together and the other almost an after thought.

Get rid of the ZEN element of AVG's interface change the colours to an avast scheme (Grey and Orange highlights) in the same style.

What I can't get over is the way for years we have been striving to reduce the size of things and now massive is the new Black.

Offline noelrojasc

• Usuario desde la versión 5
« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2017, 02:34:59 PM »
I think that in this forum, some valuable advices to re-design the Avast UI have been given. Now we Avast users are waiting with expectation, hoping our ideas will be considered.

And sorry for asking, but ... Is it possible to know when shall we have a new Beta version? Or ... are you Avast Team going back to the drawing table and re-designing it completely? We want to hear news from you!

By the way ... I am one of those who are sticking with Avast, trusting that at the end, you will make a good job - as always - and we will finally enjoy a new powerful in protection, well designed and sharp looking Avast version.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 04:06:32 PM by noelrojasc »
DELL Optiplex 790, Intel Core i5, 16GB RAM, Windows 10 Pro 64 Bits, Avast Free.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2017, 06:53:06 PM »
We talked with the avast! team about it yesterday and today. While there was quite some constructive discussions made, we kinda lacked more direct discussion about it with team actually writing things down. Some were and some were confirmed to already be in the pipeline (just not yet in the release available to us). There will be some changes, not many, at least not at the given time. But the idea is for them to stick with the interface for longer than before, hopefully giving it enough time to improve and polish it.

At that point, I hope they'll stick with it for even longer. Users don't like dramatic changes and that's in a way problem why avast! never really gets polished. When it gets to that point, they scrap the interface, make a new one, but keep lots of parts from the old one. For example, if you look at the main settings, they are nearly identical since version 5.x while the rest of the interface changed dramatically over time. And now it just feels like they merged front GUI from latest avast! with Settings page from avast! 5.x.

While I'm super interested in Behavior Shield and few other proactive features where we did agree on some pretty neat new features they didn't consider at first, the interface is still of really high priority for me. And from what I see many other guys. I don't know, we'll see how it goes after final release of version 17 and when they cycle back into monthly releases.

I wonder if they'll be able to evolve the interface slowly from month to month through the year or will they wait for the next big release. Some unknowns for now...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2017, 07:29:53 PM »
Thanks for the update (no pun intended), it has always amazed me that for many years the avast 4.x Skinable UI was great as users could have the interface they liked best.

Avast 5 was a step change away from the old interface, but then program updates still weren't annual. But then virtually all AVs seemed to have an annual update and this was mostly reflected in a change of the UI.

If it works, keep it, only making changed if there are program changes, there have been some nice UIs along the way. But this annual program (and UI) update seemed more of keeping up with the other AVs launching a program update.

For some time we had Google-Analytics monitoring the users interaction with the UI. This was supposed to gather data for the next UI update so it was more intuitive/user friendly. It just doesn't seem any data gathered has been used.