Author Topic: New Avast UI Discussion  (Read 71669 times)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
New Avast UI Discussion
« on: January 03, 2017, 08:18:38 AM »
Hi guys,

I'd like to open a new thread regarding the "skin" of the new Avast.

I have seen various discussions about it scattered around the forum, but it's a bit difficult to get a grasp of it. In general, I understand the feedback tends to be negative, but I'd like to understand whether it's related to the size of the UI, the layout of the navigation, the color scheme, the font, the speed, ... BTW One thing that we focused on improving were the flows, i.e. making the various tasks much more bullet-proof and user-friendly. I think we delivered on that one, but I haven't seen it discussed anywhere.

So, can you please be a bit more specific in your feedback? Besides RejZoR's suggestion on how to reorganize the menu bar, I haven't seen much except for adjectives like "awful", "unprofessional" etc which don't really give much insight at all.

We still have some time to shuffle some things around, although obviously what you see is pretty close to what the final will look like.

Thanks
Vlk
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 09:31:31 AM by hectic-mmv »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: New Avast UI Discussion
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 08:49:56 AM »
Hi Ondrej, thanks for asking. Personally, I don't care too much about the design (as long as it works), so I'll leave it to others to comment on it. But, as you also mentioned the speed - it's really really really slow (on XP) compared to build 2280. Some room for improvement...

Cheers,
Asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 09:48:12 AM »
Ok, lets start again with updated info based on latest BETA:

As far as sidebar goes, I still stand by my idea:
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=192684.0

Now, to the comments regarding latest BETA (17.1.2282):
THE GOOD
- I absolutely love the new trey icon. Even so much that I've re-enabled the animation. Morphing of the amoeba into sphere and back is just so beautiful and since animation is rather slow, it's not annoying or distracting at all like the whole fast spinning sphere before. I suggest you make animation enabled by default again!
- Progress bar, even though I prefer straight progress bar and the thin one used during installation process looks beautiful, the new circular one looks nice as well.
- Interface design is fluid and feels consistent which is nice, apart from few details I'll talk about below...

THE NOT SO GOOD
The white interface layers however totally clash with beautiful purple top of the interface.
- Custom install panel with all the components is all white and looks totally out of place against nice purple installer
- The ads banner in the main interface is white and it looks horrid on the main interface.
- Same goes for dropdown menus which are white and they stand out from the nice interface like a sore thumb.
- Same for three scans under Protection tab, huge white buttons really don't fit well into interface. And same goes for entire settings menu which is entirely a white menu. I know your schedule is tight with AVG and integration of Software Analyzer, but "Settings" panel really needs a redesign.

- As per my interface re-design on link above, having 3 shields separate from the rest, I'd keep statistics page (Pi button) expanded there at all times and add Software Analyzer in there as well (see Shields_design.png image).

We really need real-time detection history like we have for On-Demand scans. Just having option in trey icon to see last detection is just not enough. Sometimes you want to see entire history when, what and where was something detected. It'll help users as well as avast! team.

- Also, because you separate shields from the on-demand scans, you can redesign the scans a bit as well and get rid of the ugly white layer from the buttons (see Scan_design.png image).

And because in my interface design, Virus Chest is accessible from any menu, you don't need a separate "Virus Chest" button under scans or Shields page.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 09:50:34 AM by RejZoR »
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 10:46:36 AM »
Thanks RejZoR, good feedback. Just for avoidance of any confusion, by dropdown menus, you mean the main navigation menu / the fact that the whole panel with the items is white?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 12:11:45 PM »
The component settings (customize) should be available through each section or component of the sidebar and integrated in the main interface, not using additional windows.

Right now you have a new windows for the settings, and another one to customize the component plus the av windows, 3 windows. It's not user friendly and it looks like avast is broken in pieces.

And I totally agree with RejZoR post.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 12:17:47 PM by l.raiden »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 12:16:47 PM »
I've decided to innovate a bit and recorded a video with my commentary and direct live display of how things should be, why I like and what I don't like. I think it will be more understandable than the forum post above... :)

The avast! 17 BETA Interface Review & Commentary
https://youtu.be/-zNxU4nuq0E

Offline NON

• Japanese User
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Whatever will be, will be.
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 01:01:19 PM »
While I mostly agree with RejZoR's comment, I would add a comment about the size of the window.
It should be a bit smaller, especially each shield's setting. It does not fit even with 768 height (see attached image). ::)
Desktop: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-7400 3.0GHz / 32GB RAM / Avast 23 Premium Beta(Icarus) / Comodo Firewall
Notebook: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-3340M 2.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast 23 Free / Windows Firewall Control
Server: Win11 Pro 23H2 64bit / Core i3-4010U 1.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast One 23 Essential

Avast の設定について解説しています。よろしければご覧ください。

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2017, 01:11:08 PM »
Yes, forgot to comment on the size. 768 should be the absolute max height of the dialogs and windows. Most laptops still run 1366x768 and that becomes a problem. Or netbooks with 1024x600 even though those are rather rare now. But 768 isn't...

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2017, 01:54:28 PM »
While I mostly agree with RejZoR's comment, I would add a comment about the size of the window.
It should be a bit smaller, especially each shield's setting. It does not fit even with 768 height (see attached image). ::)

I also agree that the size of the UI is too big. It should definitely be less than 768 height.

I find statistics very important in an anti-virus (that includes history statistics) and it would be best if each shield had their own statistics.

I'd agree with Rejzor as to the how the GUI should be laid out with Scans and Shields in different tabs. I also like to see the Virus Chest there since in previous versions... it's navigation to find it is difficult.

On top of that, the settings UI font doesn't make it very easy to read. The current settings in the stable version are fine imo in terms of font, width and sizes.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2017, 03:33:11 PM »
I too believe that size matters, personally if the window was resizeable. Not just smaller then it would be better for those with small screen (netbook) systems and also good for those who may be visually impaired.

At the same time talking about the UI, should we also not talk about the installation window, in old avast versions this was bigger than the UI window and exceeded the screen size on a netbook (800X600), this meant some buttons were off screen. This required a screen resolution hack to trick the system you had a larger resolution.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline bruce_b

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2017, 05:18:30 PM »
What is this new "Software Analyzer" ? .. Not sure what it does.
Dell Dimension 8200 P4 1.8Ghz Windows XP PRO SP3
Avast Free Antivirus 18.8.2356
Toshiba Satellite C855-S5347 Celeron B830 1.8Ghz
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit Version 1909 Build 18363.900
Avast Free Antivirus 20.4.2410 Build 20.4.5312.578

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2017, 05:22:53 PM »
VLK - While I don't like it, I don't have the strong disdain for the new GUI some others do.  Here's my thoughts, in order of importance to me:

*  Sizing seems off.  Too large, too much wasted, empty space IMO.  I much prefer small, compact GUIs.  Part of my issue can be due to the fact that I only install the file, or file & web shields.  Maybe if I did the default install, the GUI wouldn't appear so open.

* Something about the colors seem a bit drab.  Maybe the gray is too much in conjunction with the purple/orange?  Just seems a bit ugly to me.  I like colorful GUIs, but cheerful.  I think this color combination is a bit dark.

*  The menus of the current version of Avast seem to make more sense than how the beta is laid out.  I have not looked at them in a while, but I think some of Rejzors suggestions made sense.  It could be a matter of familiarity rather than the beta being "bad".  For instance it seems most GUIs have the 'settings" icon in the upper right.  In the beta settings are moved to the bottom left.

The new GUI is not a deal breaker for me.  As long as the new programs functions as well or better than the current one, I would still use it.  But hopefully the new gui can be tweaked a bit to make it more appealing.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2017, 06:57:24 PM »
<snip>
*  The menus of the current version of Avast seem to make more sense than how the beta is laid out.  I have not looked at them in a while, but I think some of Rejzors suggestions made sense.  It could be a matter of familiarity rather than the beta being "bad".  For instance it seems most GUIs have the 'settings" icon in the upper right.  In the beta settings are moved to the bottom left.

The new GUI is not a deal breaker for me.  As long as the new programs functions as well or better than the current one, I would still use it.  But hopefully the new gui can be tweaked a bit to make it more appealing.

With this beta UI layout it makes sense to me that the settings option is on the left, the same orientation as the other program options. In the current avast version the program options are across the top of the UI with the settings at the end of the other options.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline bruce_b

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2017, 07:01:19 PM »
 Based on what I have seen, yes, the menus are taking up way too much screen space. Yes, the Virus Chest should be more easily findable. Yes, the colors are bland, but this seems to be the trend now (which is going the wrong way - we need some color)
Dell Dimension 8200 P4 1.8Ghz Windows XP PRO SP3
Avast Free Antivirus 18.8.2356
Toshiba Satellite C855-S5347 Celeron B830 1.8Ghz
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit Version 1909 Build 18363.900
Avast Free Antivirus 20.4.2410 Build 20.4.5312.578

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2017, 07:15:38 PM »
Based on what I have seen, yes, the menus are taking up way too much screen space. Yes, the Virus Chest should be more easily findable. Yes, the colors are bland, but this seems to be the trend now (which is going the wrong way - we need some color)

Isn't the virus chest option still available from the avast tray icon (right click) menu, that is quicker to get to the chest not having to go through the UI to get there.

On the subject of the context menu from the avast tray icon; we have been promised numerous times that is to be revamped to provide quick access to common functions. But still very little in this direction.