Author Topic: HAMSTER CLASSIC: pop3/ smtp local servers not starting  (Read 7602 times)

VSRawat

HAMSTER CLASSIC: pop3/ smtp local servers not starting
« on: February 21, 2006, 10:48:32 PM »
Hi folks,

I am using Hamster Classic 2.1.0.0 as localhost (127.0.0.1) which downloads my mails from my 4 or so pop3 email accounts and then serves as a localserver to my mailreader (TB1.5).

The same Hamster as localhost (127.0.0.1) collects all my outgoing mails from my same TB1.5 as smtp local server, and then posts using one of the 4 smtp servers I select.

It was working fine till today afternoon when I had Norton AV 2005.

However, I downloaded, installed and registered free avast 4 home antivirus. And, ever since, my local pop3/ smtp servers have stopped running of Hamster, giving the error "10048 on API bind" meaning that "ports are already in use".

What is that? Seems, that avast has started listening to the ports and not allowing them to be used by hamster.

That has stopped everything. How do I get my settings corrected?

Hamster is indeed downloading mails from my all 4 pop3 servers and keeping with itself. However, it is not supplying them to my TB mailreader.

My TB is not able to send mails to Hamster, thus I don't know whether Hamster be able to still select the  4 smtp servers.

My nntp incoming, sending to newsreader (XanaNews), posting is going fine.

Please help.

Thanks.
--
Rawat

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: HAMSTER CLASSIC: pop3/ smtp local servers not starting
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 11:18:44 PM »
Are you now running both NAV 2005 and avast?

VSRawat

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 12:20:24 AM »
Oops!

Yes. I had not uninstalled Norton 2005 when I posted this query.

However, after seeing your reply, I promptly uninstalled norton and booted my box.

But, the problem of Hamster still remains. Hamster is still not starting pop3/smtp servers. it is giving 10048 API bind error, meaning ADDRESS ALREADY IN USE.

I have given pop.gmail.com, 995 in my data\avast4.ini. However, I am not sure how it will work because gmail also uses ssl which I don't know how to define in .ini.

further, when I didn't connect to net and still gave "get mails" in tb 1.5, it started "connect to internet" window whereas it should not connect to the net and should try to read localhost itself.

And, after connecting to net, when i give "get mail" in tb, it first gives, "looking for localhost", then it gives "verifying password" and then stops. However, at that time, Avast icon appears in systray indicating "pop.gmail.com".

Avast should not check pop.gmail.com now, it should check what Hamster is downloading or sending.

Thanks.
--
Rawat

VSRawat

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 12:25:05 AM »
My avast4.ini reads as default:

------------
[MailScanner]
SmtpListen=127.0.0.1:25
PopListen=127.0.0.1:110
ImapListen=127.0.0.1:143
NntpListen=127.0.0.1:1286
UseDefaultSmtp=0
DefaultPopServer=
DefaultSmtpServer=
UseDefaultSmtp=0
ShowTrayIcon=1
AutoSetProtection=1
PopRedirectPort=110
SmtpRedirectPort=25
ImapRedirectPort=143
NntpRedirectPort=119
IgnoreAddress=
IgnoreLocalhost=1
AutoRedirect=1
------------

I am curious why nntp is working (sending/ receiving posts between xananews and hamster) when pop3/ smtp are not working (sending/ receiving mails between TB and hamster)?

--
Rawat

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 12:27:47 AM »
If NAV is present avast often doesn't install fully to try to avoid conflict, also NAV is a pig to get rid of at times.

Another link worth looking at which is a program removal tool, which can remove the remnants of a number of different Norton Programs:
Removing your Norton program using SymNRT.

Run this program, reboot, uninstall avast, boot and install avast, hopefully that should resolve the problem.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

VSRawat

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2006, 12:40:43 AM »
Seeing Tech's following reply on another thread (about outlook):

-----------
Won't it work if you follow?

1. Configure your email accounts to work without the antivirus and test them.
2. If everything is fine, close all your email clients (programs).
3. Start Menu > All programs > avast antivirus > Mail Protection Wizard
4. Follow the non Outlook/Exchange option (i.e., the second one).
    You can choose the supported email programs and select all the accounts
    (even the ones created in the future).
-----------

I first closed the mail protection, and I could start pop3/smtp servers in hamster, and then, could transfer mails from hamster to TB, and could send replies from TB to Hamster.

But, what does it do with scanning of my pop3 mails?

Also, why is nntp local server working? Does it mean Avast is not scanning my news posts? Well. I am member of binaries also.

I am beginning to see some basic difference in the working of Norton and Avast. Norton was checking communication with the net, whereas Avast is checking on the basis of given accounts.

I don't want Avast to supervise communication in between my TB/XN/Hamster.

I only want Avast to scan my incoming mails when they get downloaded from net to my TB/ Hamster, and scan my outgoing mails when TB/hamster send them to net.

Waiting for next clue.
--
Rawat

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2006, 01:20:40 AM »
It would help to know which operating system you are using.

By default avast does not scan any localhost traffic.

The Gmail connection is SSL - which is, by design, not possible to be scanned.  GMail has implemented scanning of attachments within GMail.

avast does not monitor mail programs - it monitors calls to the well known ports 110 and 25 (and 143 for IMAP).   

I assume that Hamster acts like a mix of mail client/server - what purpose does it serve?  I assume that you configure your real mail accounts in Hamster much as you would in TB, with real mail server name and port (such as 110) ... is that correct? 

How do you configure a typical POP3 account in TB to connect to Hamster (servername, port etc)?

VSRawat

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006, 02:12:01 AM »
This is in response to two replies.

- I downloaded and ran symNRT.exe. Though it did not give any message, and did not show anything, once I booted up after running it, the pop3/ smtp servers in Hamsters are indeed starting, and I could get mails from Hamster to TB, and from TB to Hamster, and then send through smtp. but still some problems are there.

- It means that there indeed was some invisible residue from norton which got cleared.

It would help to know which operating system you are using.

- 98se.

By default avast does not scan any localhost traffic.

- what is "internal mail" check? it seems to be for checking internal communication between various programs in my box. Is it?

The Gmail connection is SSL - which is, by design, not possible to be scanned.  GMail has implemented scanning of attachments within GMail.

avast does not monitor mail programs - it monitors calls to the well known ports 110 and 25 (and 143 for IMAP).   

- Hmm. Good enough. However, why does it need to know my pop3 and smtp servers to be fed in avast4.ini file. My Hamster and TB are already having those details. If Avast just checks whatever incoming and outgoing traffic is taking place, then it can check the incoming and outgoing mails from hamster without needing to know the pop3/smtp details. No?

I assume that Hamster acts like a mix of mail client/server - what purpose does it serve?  I assume that you configure your real mail accounts in Hamster much as you would in TB, with real mail server name and port (such as 110) ... is that correct? 

- Absolutely correct. I have defined all my nntp/ pop3 servers in hamster and it downloads mails/ news from them and keeps with itself. Then I use TB to take mails from Hamster, and Xananews to take news posts from hamster. Then I compose new mails/posts, or reply to something, and TB/ XN send those replies to Hamster, and then I send those using hamsters smtp/nntp.

How do you configure a typical POP3 account in TB to connect to Hamster (servername, port etc)?

- localhost. with username/ password

-----------

- Now, one problem is remaining is that when TB sends mails to Hamster, it takes a lot of time. previously it was in a jiffy.

- Now, when I pause "internal server" of Avast, the mail goes quickly from TB to hamster.

Why is that delay? how to avoid that? Should I keep internal servers off in avast?

Thanks and Regards.
--
Rawat