Author Topic: Avast Home Edition - for what is that function?  (Read 7945 times)

rcktexas

Re: Avast Home Edition - for what is that function?
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2006, 04:22:47 PM »
Quote from: DavidR
One other thing to ensure this doesn't happen to me, I run the VRDB manually only after I have done an avast scan.

I should have asked how you run it manually, which implied when you do not run it manually it does not run.

I just want to know how to turn the entire process off so I do not have something running that takes up CPU cycles or could get screwed up when I am defragging or whatever. How do I turn the VRDB thing off?

Or is it part of the real time scanner? I am imagining it to be a separate process.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2006, 04:58:26 PM »
I have mine set to use the screen saver and since I never let my system use a screen saver (just goes to stand by) the VRDB won't run. By using these settings and how I have my system work the VRDB is still on but doesn't update its database automatically.

I do regular system maintenance every week, so for me every 3rd week (or 2nd if you choose) I do a manual 'Generate VRDB Now.' So I control when it runs so it doesn't interfere with any other program.

I wouldn't advise turning the entire process off, without it you have no possible repair function period. The VRDB it an essential part of the overall protection, but it can be disabled (have a look at the avast help file or the VRDB options and you will see it can be disabled), without its generation you loose the ability to repair files monitored by the VRDB. But that is your choice.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

rcktexas

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2006, 05:14:42 PM »
Quote from: DavidR
I wouldn't advise turning the entire process off, without it you have no possible repair function period.

I will use your manual technique. Thanks for the heads up to all who responded.

While I have your attention I need to resolve one more issue. I am using a web proxy called AdSubtract (aka "InterMute"). It operates on port 4444 and intercepts the port 80 stream and strips out various content I tell it to get rid of, eg. popups, javascript, advertisements, etc.

I added 4444 to the list of "Redirected web ports", separating it from the 80 that was there by default with a comma. Should I have removed the 80, since it is first in the list and may bypass the proxy? Should I remove it altogether or put it second, giving 4444 first stab at the web stream?

Sometimes I turn the proxy off, either in Mozilla or AdSubtract, so that has to be taken into consideration.

How do you set up a sometimes web proxy in Avast?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2006, 11:24:25 PM »
How do you set up a sometimes web proxy in Avast?

Step-by-step instructions on how to set up a proxy server:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=12123.msg102656#msg102656

The procedure will be similar to this:
1. Open the WebShield properties (Customize button on the providers lists).
2. Un-check the option 'Ignore the local traffic'.
3. Set the same port used by Proxomitron.

anyway, if you want to use your ISP provider's proxy server together with avast's webshield, you can setup your original proxy to the avast4.ini

[WebScanner]
UpstreamProxyHost=proxy.your-isp.net
UpstreamProxyPort=8080

(replace the real values)

Note for WinNT/XP users: this option is available only in direct proxy mode - when no proxy is set in the browser and avast is used transparently by redirecting port 80, upstream proxy does not work.

[WebScanner]
UpstreamProxyHost=127.0.0.1
UpstreamProxyPort=3124

Restart the WebShield provider. (terminate and then start).

Then setup Internet Explorer to use webshield as a proxy server: localhost, port: 12080

Avast: Settings...Update (Basic)...Details...Proxy...Check Specify Proxy Server, Address (in my case) 192.168.0.1, Port 80

Proxy:
Internet Explorer: Tools > Internet Options > Connections > Lan Settings > Uncheck 'Use a proxy server'
Firefox: Tools > Options > General > Connections Settings > Check' Direct connection to the Internet'
The best things in life are free.

rcktexas

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2006, 02:02:32 AM »
3. Set the same port used by Proxomitron.

You need to include port 80 in case you turn off the proxy.

For example, in the case of AdSubtract, which uses port 4444 for the proxy, you need to enter

in the port list.