Author Topic: Proxy Problems...  (Read 8179 times)

ardvark

Re: Proxy Problems...
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2006, 06:50:26 PM »
Hi Tech....

Intriguing but not surprising....

I thought about your last post and tried disabling the yahoo anti-popup blocker to see if that would solve the problem but to no avail. On a whim, I configured my seldom used copy of Opera and shockingly, everything worked!! All the pages loaded correctly, although a bit slower than what I'm used to.

Looks like it was IE all along ::)

I appreciate the time you, CharleyO and DavidR spent to to help me try to solve this :) I have a feeling I will become more aquainted with a browser named Opera.

Best Regards...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2006, 07:38:54 PM »
Glad you are able to browse images now, not only will using another browser other than IE let you view your images, it will be less of an adware/browser hijack magnet.

Another browser option is the latest firefox 1.5.1 I still prefer the firefox interface and extensions.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

CharleyO

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2006, 08:22:28 PM »

Hi ardvark,

I am also glad you got things sorted out. It seems to me that the problem now lies in the IE settings on your computer. I use IE6 on the old W98SE computer and IE7 beta2 on this XP one ... both had no problems.

By the way, I did not take it as you being rude. It is understandable that such things can be flustrating. Well, you did not curse nor insult any of us ... just strongly suggested we missed your point ... and that is good.    :D

Anyway, if Opera, Firefox, or some other browser works for you, then that is what you should use.    ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2006, 09:38:41 PM »
Looks like it was IE all along ::)
So... Did you change anything into IE settings? Advanced tab has option to control images...
Is it fully updated?
The best things in life are free.

ardvark

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2006, 04:02:17 AM »
Hi Tech...

All the defaults are checked in the multimedia section of the advanced tab. I think this whole thing is just a glitch in my copy of IE for whatever reason. I'm happy at least one of my browsers works correctly with the web module. :)

Best Regards...

Comedy Si

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2006, 02:15:13 PM »
hi

first post, but had to join as i too have this same problem.

heres the background...

running a wireless lan, although desktop is ethernet connected

adsl connection thru' router which has a built in modem

avast 4.6 was installed on desktop - 2 wireless notebooks not running avast 4.6

all notebooks run internet fine - no problems at all on ie6, avant or ff 1.5.1

no end of problems with internet on desktp - same browsers, will run ok for a few minutes, and then get the inability to load a lot of images

uninstalled and reinstalled several times - same symptoms

proxy server all set up per the avast guidelines! using localhost etc...

couldnt get to run...eventually uninstalled and will swtich to avg.

BUT even now can't seem to get firefox configured corectly.

avant works ok now - using 'direct connection to internet' working fine

but having installed avast this seems to have messed up my connections in firefox.

even uninstalling and reinstalling firefox hasn't sorted it.

not too happy - heard good things about avast, but i reckon i've probably spent at least 40 hours just sorting this one problem.

also spents hours trying to sort lan connection, as thought perhaps this was related to my lan controller - several driver uninstalls and reinstalls to see if that was the problem was a waste of time.

So question - anyone else running something like this -

+ firefox
+ adsl wireless router with ethernet to desktop
+ Advise browser connection settings, router settings etc...

Disappointed i couldnt get this sorted, and also disappointed it now seems to have messed up firefox for me....

Thanks

Si

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2006, 03:57:24 PM »
proxy server all set up per the avast guidelines! using localhost etc...
Well, it's well known that in XP computers you should do nothing, no changes in proxy settings as the scanning is transparent. Do you use XP?
Make sure your browser is not set to "Work Offline" (this option is generally in the File menu). If it doesn't help, try switching the proxy settings from "Auto-detect" to "No proxy" (I'm assuming you're not connecting to the Internet via proxy).

Left click the avast icon > Settings
Update (Basic) > Details > Proxy

but having installed avast this seems to have messed up my connections in firefox.
Disappointed i couldnt get this sorted, and also disappointed it now seems to have messed up firefox for me....
avast does not change browse settings... Which is your operational system?
It's a pity that you didn't ask for help before losing so much time... Anyway, welcome to forums  8)
The best things in life are free.