Author Topic: Auto-update and standby  (Read 4310 times)

AVE160

Auto-update and standby
« on: December 10, 2003, 10:58:58 AM »
I have a permanent ADSL connection, and Avast is setup to do automatic updates. However, when I leave my computer for diner or something I put it into stand-by mode.
Most of the times I get out of standby mode I get the warning that the update failed. I know the reason for this is that the ADSL connection takes a few moments to settle down again, but Avast is too soon.

As probably the next time the update will succeed, I can ignore this problem. But what remains is the annoying message saying the update failed. Is there a way to suppress this message or make it go away after a few seconds?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:Auto-update and standby
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2003, 11:18:15 AM »
As probably the next time the update will succeed, I can ignore this problem. But what remains is the annoying message saying the update failed. Is there a way to suppress this message or make it go away after a few seconds?

Yep. :) To get rid of this message, add the following line:

SuppressUpdateErrorInfo=1

to the [AAVM] section of the <avast4folder>\data\avast4.ini file.

BTW how long does it take the ADSL to wake up? There should be a 20 second tolerance in the latest build of avast (4.1.304). Maybe we could make this configurable as well...

Hope this helps,
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

ash

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2003, 12:04:06 PM »
hey i also had that same problem
i have adsl and avast

Vlk has solved the problem ;) thanks dude :D

But what happens is that

during the standby mode the network adapter is turned off to save power.
and avast tries to update and finds no connection to internet and thats why u get that message.

i was also wondering why the message box stays there and vlk solved that.
bye
ash.

AVE160

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2003, 12:46:11 PM »
 :)
Thanxs, that was what I was looking for.

Maybe in my situation the time is quite long, because I have a wireless network. After I come back after the suspend period, I think the card in my computer has to negotiate communication again with the modem. This takes some time, I think the ADSL connection is not the problem.

Is this message displayed the first time the problem occurs?
Maybe it's a good idea to have some retries with intervals, such that the server has to be down for a longer period before the message is displayed.