Author Topic: Avast anti theft doesnt turn on GPS  (Read 10225 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast anti theft doesnt turn on GPS
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2017, 08:36:43 PM »
I don't believe the GPS 'interface' as such was removed, but they Google removed the ability to switch it on remotely on recent Android versions (as the anti-theft used to do).
We're saying the same.
Of course GPS is there.
The api (interface) for 3rd party enable/disable gps was removed.
The best things in life are free.

REDACTED

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2017, 09:22:30 PM »
That's really helpful of Google.

I generally don't have Location (GPS) enabled because of all of the google tracking and cr4p. I only enable it when I absolutely need it otherwise it is off.

That "Google tracking and crXp" is a myth, believe me -- nobody from Google will care about "YOU" in particular. One in a billion users? Sorry to ruin your pride, bro!
... But I find the Google history of places I visited (in Gmaps) very useful (when GPS is turned "on", BTW the power-management is much better now and it is not "on" all the time but only when it detects "movement")

I would even rely on this "history" as a "backup" solution, to apps that are failing to do their job with every new release of OS/and/or device (hint to Avast) ... Don't be pissed, please, and if you are on the CIA list "for monitoring" ... your trouble is much bigger than GPS not working in Avast LOL :) ...  8)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 09:27:30 PM by mitko.milev »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2017, 10:18:25 PM »
The tracking that goes on is more revenue based, to serve ads and suggestions, how do they do that locally so it is supposedly relevant to you, and that would be GPS.

They aren't interested in 'you' as such just what they can serve up to you and any any revenue they can get from such ads.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security