Author Topic: SHAME ON YOU FOR THE SABOTAGE YOU DID!!!!  (Read 5696 times)

Offline Anacunga

SHAME ON YOU FOR THE SABOTAGE YOU DID!!!!
« on: January 18, 2017, 01:24:02 PM »
 >:( >:( >:( THERE IS NO EXCUSE! IT'S AN ASOLUTE SHAME AND COMPUTER SABOTAGE!!!

Replacing Avast! 4.8 with the latest version is one thing; but doing that WITHOUT ANY WARNING (even when having on manual update!!!) is an ABSOLUTE NO GO!!!!

Btw: no, not only once; on any PC that runs Avast! 4.8 (and 4.8 so far did get virus database updates as regular as the lates version). It's running smoother on old PCs.

And the big shame is that the PCs restart without warning!!!

Avast 12 is slowing down a  PC too much if only 512 MB of RAM (several PCs here still do not have and do not need more).

Kicking away Avast for the moment ...

SHAME ON YOU!!!  >:( >:( >:(

« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 04:21:30 PM by Anacunga »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: SHAME ON YOU FOR THE SABOTAGE YOU DID!!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 02:02:08 PM »
Shame on you for not keeping your (security) software up-to-date.

Avast 12 is slowing down a  PC too much if only 512 MB of RAM (several PCs here still do not have and do not need more).
So, yes.
They do need more ram.

Offline Anacunga

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 02:15:05 PM »
Nope: shame on you for ignoring that Avast 4.8 did update virus database at least daily!!!

And if set to strict v4.8 did find problematic structures that latest version did not complain about!

Anyway: without any announcement is unacceptable!

And nope; the do NOT need more ram.
The other solution is to kick away avast ...

« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 02:17:38 PM by Anacunga »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 02:21:30 PM »
I think Avast have mentioned before that out of date program versions can be forcefully updated, Avast 4.8 is very outdated against the latest attacks and cant physically protect you...I guess Avast thought if you aren't going to protect yourself adequately then they might make the smart choice for you :)

Offline Anacunga

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 02:26:12 PM »
Sorry, but replacing software WITHOUT ANY WARNING OR ANNOUNCEMENT (that v4.8 will be replaced) is NOT SMART, IT'S SABOTAGE!!!

The result is data loss and the need to reinstall some special tools that avast is unable to not delete in standard settings that are automatically set with the new version. The first thing that new avast did was deleting some daily or weekly used tools - again WITHOUT ANY WARNING, as it is not installed in the way and the settings the former version was, but with settings to delete without warning!

DELETING WITHOUT WARNING (as set in standard stettings) again is AN ABSOLUTE NO GO!

« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 03:10:51 PM by Anacunga »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 03:10:32 PM »
GraigB is right.

avast has the right to roll-out a update when they want and how they want.
You can read it in the EULA.

avast doesn't delete tools nor data unless something harmful is found in them.

Ofcourse the settings are different.
A lot of new things have been added/removed since version 4.8.

As support has ended +/- 1,6 years ago, you can expect a update will be rolled-out if you don't update the software yourself.
https://blog.avast.com/2015/05/06/support-for-older-avast-windows-consumer-version-will-end/

As the old avast version where basically almost entirely based on signature detection, they are not protecting you from nowadays threads.
Running those old version only give a false feeling of being protected.

You can always speed things up a bit by removing not wanted components in avast.

Offline Anacunga

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 03:29:41 PM »
You give the resons why NOT to use avast ...

If avast is so arrogant to take the right to replace software without warning it's the best reason not to use it.

And avast is also so arrogant to tell me what should be useful for me or what is not useful for me, even if I use it daily to weekly.

Avast 4.8 had the nice possibility to get listed every single file that avast is checking. Where is that funktionality in the new version??? This was the most important feature!

To be honest: Avast v4.8 not only id find EVERY flaw that later versions found. It also found flawas that ohter virus-protection toos found (and considered as suspicious) but new avast ignored. Additionally it used less resources and was usable on PCs with 512MB of RAM or less.

Soory, with that "unannounced replacement of the old version" avast did dig it's own grave.

I'll be away and no longer recommend avast.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 03:33:32 PM by Anacunga »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 03:30:24 PM »
There was a Blog entry about avast 4.8 in September of last year.

2017 marks the end of virus definition updates for Avast version 4.8
https://blog.avast.com/2017-marks-the-end-of-virus-definition-updates-for-avast-version-4.8

Without virus updates the program is very much depreciated. Not to mention this end of support for avast 4.8 has been bubbling away for many years and finally it has come.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Anacunga

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 03:36:45 PM »
Even this is no reason to automatically replace avast without consent!

As you always did present the nag screen (at least until the last days) it would have been easy to update it to that announcement. Btw: it was still the old nag screen: if you clicked to "update" the program tried to get Avast v6 (!!) what then failed ...

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 03:41:22 PM »
To be honest: Avast v4.8 not only id find EVERY flaw that later versions found. It also found flawas that ohter virus-protection toos found (and considered as suspicious) but new avast ignored. Additionally it used less resources and was usable on PCs with 512MB of RAM or less.
What OS do you use? 
Malware that only work on old/obsolete OS may not be detected by new AV

« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 03:48:30 PM by Pondus »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2017, 03:42:39 PM »
also see this

Microsoft: Windows 7 does not meet the demands of modern technology; recommends Windows 10
https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-windows-7-does-not-meet-the-demands-of-modern-technology-recommends-windows-10

Using OS or AV that should be on museum is not good security practice

« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 03:44:24 PM by Pondus »

Offline Anacunga

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2017, 03:48:04 PM »
Are you gonna pay me all the replacement PCs, hardware extenstions (some of them are in the industry and huge and expensive) and all the new Software? I assume not ...

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2017, 04:00:40 PM »
Are you gonna pay me all the replacement PCs, hardware extenstions (some of them are in the industry and huge and expensive) and all the new Software? I assume not ...
Nothing last's for ever. That includes us. :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2017, 04:04:10 PM »
Technology moves forward, if you cant follow you cant blame avast for that

Offline Anacunga

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2017, 04:19:20 PM »
Sure I can blame avast for replacing software that deletes often used programs without warning (when I manually did set not to delete them)! That's computer sabotage and illegal.

The reason is that avast installs the new version without announcement or warning with standard settings, and standard settings delete "pups" by default.

That's why to blame avast!

It's just a shame! Avast once really was the best among virus protection software. But these times are gone. Now they are as bad as others.