Author Topic: Another day, another network :(  (Read 2160 times)

Offline asparagus

Another day, another network :(
« on: January 21, 2017, 02:43:45 PM »
Two existing threads are relevant here:
https://forum.avast.com/?topic=192509.15
(in which the identity of Avast/Plusnet users' ISP is misreported as the UK Government Department of Work and Pensions)
https://forum.avast.com/?topic=193044.0 (in which Avast keeps reporting finding a new network and changing the firewall mode, on user's machines whose network has not changed)

I have contributed to both of those threads, because I have recently been subject to both of those things. So much for context, because today it all changed again, when the Avast firewall detected another new network, and a different adapter along with it.

The good news is, my ISP is not longer being misreported as the UK Government Department for Work and Pensions. The bad news is, it is no longer being reported as anything at all. The "My Internet name" and "ISP" fields in the Avast dialogue are both blank.

And the second item of bad news is that my adapter name is being reported differently. Previously it was being reported as Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter. Now it is being reported as FRITZ!WLAN USB Stick AC 860. Problem with this is: I do not have a FRITZ!WLAN USB Stick connected to my machine. My wireless adapter (connected by a USB extension cable) is a Tenda brand adapter (and has been for as long as I have had this machine; about 18 months).

I have checked in Device Mangler and sure enough, Network Adapters reports the presence of a FRITZ!WLAN USB Stick AC 860 and makes no mention of a Tenda adapter, so it does appear that Avast is giving an honest account of what Windows is telling it. To that exteent, it sort of isn't an Avast problem. Except that Avast is my security software solution and if Windows is telling Avast that a device is installed that I have never heard of, and that it is reponsible for a new network and that is how I am connected to the Internet, I think I am right to a) be concerned and b) expect that Avast people should be prepared to help me figure out what's wrong.

I have to be honest, I don't know if the Tenda adapter ever showed up in Device Mangler. When I got the new machine, I installed it and it just worked. As I would expect. It's only in the last couple of months that I've had all the fun with stuff being misreported.

Attached two screenshots of the Avast "New network detected" dialogue, from two weeks ago when the UK Govt nonsense started, and from today, when the UK Govt nonsense stopped and the Fritz USB Stick nonsense started.

I'm really hoping someone can clear up what's going on here because I've had enough of vague chronic paranoia that I can't do anything about. I'd prefer either no paranoia, or at least some well-justified paranoia and a path forward, please.

Andy

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Another day, another network :(
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 03:30:07 PM »
in which the identity of Avast/Plusnet users' ISP is misreported as the UK Government Department of Work and Pensions
It is not misreported.
The IP range was (still is?) owned by the department.
avast just tells the information it is given.

Offline asparagus

Re: Another day, another network :(
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 04:19:45 PM »
It /was/ being misreported, just not by Avast. Anyway, it's old news. It isn't being reported thus any more. Now my adapter is being reported as an adapter that I do not own, and never have. I appreciate that it is not being mis-reported - I said in my post that it was being reported as such by Windows, and that Avast is simpy passing that report on - but what am I to make of apparently being connected to a network by an adapter that I have never heard of or owned?